660ti vs 7950???

dinlee23

Gawd
which should i buy? 7950 is $50 more is it worth it? also if both cards are overclocked which one would come out on top?

If only there was a place you could go, perhaps a website, where professionals reviewed each card and made determinations about their relative performance. I can hardly imagine how helpful such a site would be if I were the one making a buying choice.

Seriously though, you can't check one of the dozen or so reviews and see which one performs better in the things you care about? You hardly seem to be in a unique situation here, with special considerations. All you are going to get here with a question like that is a bunch of AMD/Nvidia back and forth.

Not to mention that you haven't provided any information that would help anyone make an informed recommendation for you, like what games you play or what resolution you use.

i play at 1920x1080 mostly bf3 all im asking if its worth getting the 7950 over the 660ti if both cards are ocd and yes ive looked at reviews all over the web and so far there is no clear answer which one wins if both are ocd

id go for the 7950, i typically see them around $300 on sale. newegg had a nice gigabyte for $308 recently.

edit: i am going to flip flop on this one. if you can get a 660 cheaper then go for it. Looks to be the clear winner for gaming. When overclocked the 7950 should be competitive but otherwise 660 ftw.

Last edited:
i play at 1920x1080 mostly bf3 all im asking if its worth getting the 7950 over the 660ti if both cards are ocd and yes ive looked at reviews all over the web and so far there is no clear answer which one wins if both are ocd
so all of the reviews gave you no clear answer yet you think a few forum members will clear everything up for you? lol

as buttons mentioned, a 7950 can be had for the basically the same price as a gtx660 ti. for the same price, the 7950 would be the better choice IMO.

I real quick went to Anandtech's benchmark comparison and compared the two. If dinlee did indeed check out benchmarks, (and from what I saw between the two comparing DirectX 11 games with them I'm inclined to believe him) I can see where he's coming from asking [H]ard OCP members for advice. IMO, the the numbers seemed close overall. The 7950 won some, and the 660 Ti won some. I haven't read up much on either card, so I tend to rely on benchmarks like this, but for some reason I was always under the impression that the 660 Ti was supposed to aimed more towards the 7870...? If that's the case, obviously the 7950 should be a little better. Personally, if the 7950 is about the same price as a 660 Ti, I'd go for it over the 660 Ti as well.

i might get a 670 if i can get a decent psu under $100 so well see im not buying till thursday so theres still time

if all other considerations are equal get the AMD for no other reason then they will have more money to compete with Intel on the CPU side of things. Poor AMD's fighting 2 wars at once.

(http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/16/galaxy_geforce_gtx_660_ti_gc_3gb_video_card_review/13) okay... GTX 670 is only 10 watts more... should i buy it instead of a 660ti and pair it with my psu? or is that a bad idea?
well your psu was only rated for 384 watts on the 12v line when brand new. after several years of use that has probably dropped by at least 25-30 watts or so. you could certainly still power a gtx670 but its not something I would do as I dont like to push a typical psu over 80-85%. that will just make it work really hard, create more heat and probably make the fan spin up a bit too much creating more noise.

you have had that psu for a long time so why not retire it and get something more robust? there are plenty of quality 550-600 watt power supplies out there for 80 bucks or less. and you can always use it in your next build too of course.

I had the same dilemma and just kept checking the B/S/T forum here to see what was offered up. Picked up a lightly used 7950 for lower price than the 660ti.

Last edited:
I had the same dilemmaand just kept checking the B/S/T forum here to see what was offered up. Picked up a lightly used 7950 for lower price than the 660ti.
for your sig pc? its time for a modern cpu cause even at 4.2 that dual core cpu is not going to play every game at the 7950's potential.

If I were buying I'd grab a 7950 and OC it. 1025MHz will give you 7970 level performance in a lot of titles. If you bump voltage up on the card 1150MHz may be possible. Mine does 1035MHz on stock voltage and 1150MHz with 1.193 voltage.

If you overclock or are into tweaking, 7950. If you're a noob or don't desire to get into any of that, 660Ti.

If all you play is BF3 on a single 1080p monitor the 660ti is for you. You'll save a few bucks and get more FPS over the 7950.

That being said, the 7950 and 600ti trade blows depending on the game. I personally think the 7950 is more future proof considering the 660ti has a 192-bit memory bus (vs 384 bit 7950). That will come into play as future games become more demanding or if you upgrade to a higher resolution monitor. Also considering if you OC the 7950 it will surpass a 670, again, depending on the game.

7950 in the long run. Specially if you get a sweet ass 7950 with a high ASIC.

Some people are hitting 1150-1200 mhz on the GPU with the MSI Twin frozn III. They also are coming with a 7970 PCB with a 6+8pin configuration.

i really dont want to spend 400+ dollars on this upgrade and if i buy a 7950 i will have to get another psu since my current one will xplode if i overclock it to the above said speeds and yes im a overclock freak and want to get the most of my gpu

i really dont want to spend 400+ dollars on this upgrade and if i buy a 7950 i will have to get another psu since my current one will xplode if i overclock it to the above said speeds and yes im a overclock freak and want to get the most of my gpu
well if you are an "overclock freak" and want a fast modern card then you are going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade that psu sooner or later anyway.

since this thread thinks that i need a new psu, which i really do, i might as well get it (screw the budget).... so heres the question since im going to be getting a HD 7950 which is a spit away from a GTX 670 which one is better overclocked?

also to the poster above that said theres a 6+8 pin 7950 on a 70' mobo i looked it up and its $400 on amazon (which is the only place ill buy from as of now since im a prime member) ive researched and read that the card can do 1200mhz pretty easily but the question is will it be able to compete with a equally overclocked 670 (1300mhz) since now im upping my budget... might as well go all or go home lol...

since this thread thinks that i need a new psu, which i really do, i might as well get it (screw the budget).... so heres the question since im going to be getting a HD 7950 which is a spit away from a GTX 670 which one is better overclocked?

also to the poster above that said theres a 6+8 pin 7950 on a 70' mobo i looked it up and its $400 on amazon (which is the only place ill buy from as of now since im a prime member) ive researched and read that the card can do 1200mhz pretty easily but the question is will it be able to compete with a equally overclocked 670 (1300mhz) since now im upping my budget... might as well go all or go home lol...

670 is better then the 7950 with maybe one exception.. metro 2033. honestly you cant make a bad decision between the two, because they are both amazing. 670 is the better card though. 660ti > 7950 > 670 > 7970 > 680

7970 is faster then the 670.

1300mhz is pretty ambitious for a 670. A lot of people on hard reporting that are probably BSing as those probably aren't stable clocks. 1300 and above is amazing.. more commonly 1200-1250

what the hell are you doing. you are changing your mind like a monkey. you already decided to get a 660ti over a 7950, and your power supply is more than powerful enough for a 660ti. so get it and get out of here. stop letting random comments mess with your head.

what the hell are you doing. you are changing your mind like a monkey. you already decided to get a 660ti over a 7950, and your power supply is more than powerful enough for a 660ti. so get it and get out of here. stop letting random comments mess with your head.

this dudes right. shop within your budget and dont over think it. its just a computer part after all :)

If I were buying right now, I'd go for a nicely cooled 7950. There are a few specials putting them close to ~$300 here in Canada. Probably similar in the US. Bear in mind also that you can now flash any stock 7950 with the new AMD bios update - with AMD's full approval! If you can find a 7950 for ~$300 that normally runs at 800MHz clock rate, this means you can flash it to an 850MHz factory clock rate for free. I daresay that if you overclock your 7950 yourself, and test out its default voltage limits, you can probably mod the bios and flash it to 1GHz or so.

Having said that, I would go for the Gigabyte Windforce 7950. I have a Gigabyte Windforce GTX670 with exactly the same cooler, and it's a very nice cooler with extremely quiet (I can't hear them at all) fans. In addition, the Gigabyte Windforce 7950 is clocked at 900MHz by default, so it's worth ~$20-~$30 more than a vanilla 7950 IMHO.

In Canada, you can get either a Gigabyte Windforce 7950 for $319 here:

http://www.pricebat.ca/gv-r795wf3-3gd-gigabyte-radeon-hd-7950-windforce-900mhz-3gb/

or an MSI Twin Frozer III 7950 (880MHz) for $309 here:

http://www.pricebat.ca/r7950-twin-frozr-3gd5-oc-msi-radeon-hd-7950-iii-880mhz-3gb/

Either one of these would be a very good deal, and likely better than the 2Gb GTX660Ti, especially if you might go to a 3 monitor setup at some point. I'm selling my 2Gb GTX670 in fact because I just don't feel comfortable knowing I won't be able to turn up the AA in many games on a 3 monitor setup without running out of texture memory. I'll probably grab a Windforce 7950 for $300 myself, and possibly a second one in a little while if they fall enough in price.

Last edited:
I'll keep it simple for you:

Find out which good brand 660ti is the cheapest when you are ready to buy. Then find out which good brand 7950 is the cheapest. Between those two, go with whichever is cheapest.

If you need something kinda/sorta tangible to make a decision with, the adaptive VSynch on the NV cards can be pretty nice to use.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/23419/10

Power consumption

MSI HD 7950 OC (880 Mhz) - 313w

those power draw numbers are measured at the wall socket which means even considering the PSU they used is 85% efficient the actual power used was only .85 x 313w = 266w. and the CPU they used is a core i7 3820 with X79 which is very power hungry.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-hd-7950-iceq-turbo-review/7

Power consumption under full load - 309w

What matters is the quality of the PSU and its components . The ANTEC True Power 3 TP3-430 is a high quality PSU with 5 year warranty. The components used in the PSU are very high quality . With 32A and 384w power on the +12v rail your PSU should be enough for a lightly overclocked HD 7950 upto 1 Ghz at stock voltage. At those speeds your HD 7950 performs on par or slightly better than HD 7970 (925 Mhz). Do you really want to spend 300 bucks on GTX 660 Ti card which at times struggles to beat a GTX 580 in bandwidth demanding scenarios. With future games like Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light in 2013 you really will come to regret spending so much on a crippled card.

The HD 7950 is a better card. GTX 660 Ti falters badly with high levels of MSAA and in demanding games like Metro 2033, Witcher 2 is really exposed. Get a card like Gigabyte HD 7950 Windforce for USD 330 after rebate. good cooler. reliable brand.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/23419/10

Power consumption

MSI HD 7950 OC (880 Mhz) - 313w

those power draw numbers are measured at the wall socket which means even considering the PSU they used is 85% efficient the actual power used was only .85 x 313w = 266w. and the CPU they used is a core i7 3820 with X79 which is very power hungry.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-hd-7950-iceq-turbo-review/7

Power consumption under full load - 309w

What matters is the quality of the PSU and its components . The ANTEC True Power 3 TP3-430 is a high quality PSU with 5 year warranty. The components used in the PSU are very high quality . With 32A and 384w power on the +12v rail your PSU should be enough for a lightly overclocked HD 7950 upto 1 Ghz at stock voltage. At those speeds your HD 7950 performs on par or slightly better than HD 7970 (925 Mhz). Do you really want to spend 300 bucks on GTX 660 Ti card which at times struggles to beat a GTX 580 in bandwidth demanding scenarios. With future games like Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light in 2013 you really will come to regret spending so much on a crippled card.

The HD 7950 is a better card. GTX 660 Ti falters badly with high levels of MSAA and in demanding games like Metro 2033, Witcher 2 is really exposed. Get a card like Gigabyte HD 7950 Windforce for USD 330 after rebate. good cooler. reliable brand.

i only really play Bf3 and the total war series but i see where your coming from i do see that the 7950 (crysis warhead and metro) woops the 660ti's butt in a couple games that arent designed for nvidia, but im planning on just getting the 670 and a new psu

Buy the 7950 and when your not using it, bitcoin or litecoin with it. You'll make easily $30 a month off of it. If you had that mining now, you'd make roughly $70 a month minus electricity costs so you should net close to $30

Back