6600GT. Is it fast enough to run WoW at 1900x1200?

Nexus6

Limp Gawd
Have a 9800Pro, considering a small incremental upgrade, limited to AGP, don't want to buy a 6800GT.

Is this enough card to get 30fps in WoW at this resolution?

I doubt you would be able to play with any eye candy at that res....I would not even count on running that res, but you would have to search on it.

My 9800Pro is fast enough for 1600x1200 with everything maxed. WoW isn't horribly graphic intensive. I was just wondering if anyone had a 6600GT and WoW.

WoW is not a FPS... so ~30fps is fine. X800XT is a bit overkill I think.

9800pro and all maxed at that res? Must not have great grafx then....

Regardless of topic, I would never go with such a small upgrade. I tend to be not blown away by an upgrade until I go back and mess with the old stuff after getting use to the much better details etc. They're just too close.

The video card is not the bottleneck for WoW...It is RAM. Anand totally missed the boat on their guide. When I fly into Org/TB/UC I litterally come a grinding halt because of needing to get all the toon textures into my video cards from the Harddrive. At any other time I am pretty much sitting pegged at 60FPS @ 1280x1024 with most of the sliders (except enviromental distance) pegged to the right.

Anandtech really needs to have people who play the damn game actually review "optimization". While they understand games...they don't know that game. Like having a Nascar driver tell a F1 driver how to tweak his car. *Bleh*. A high pop server almost needs 1.5 GB of RAM in order to not stall out when going into town.

As for the card...going from a 9800PRO to a 6600GT is not so good use of your money. It might help..but it won't help that much. I'd say jump to the 6800GT like you don't want to do. Just sell your 9800PRO for a $100 or so.

-tReP

Edit: Make sure you force disable AA/AF. This will help alot at higher resoultions.

2Fresh said:
9800pro and all maxed at that res? Must not have great grafx then....

Yes. It's an MMORPG, not a FPS :rolleyes: If you read the review posted above, the 6600 GT performs 2.3 fps slower than the X800 XL on 1600x1200 max settings(WoW ! literally). I think the 6600 GT is a great buy for this game. The X850 XT performed on par with the 6800 Ultra, the X800 XT performed on par with the 6800 GT. The dissapointment is in the X700 pro where it got outperformed by an FX5900 (booooo)

So based on this... the 6600 GT getting 43.2 FPS on max settings. It's not surprising that a 9800 pro would get playable frame rates on the same settings (~35 fps is my guess).

there article is fubar theres a huge diff from a 6600 to an x800 anda 6800gt i have all 3 cards in my house. all are used to play wow. with everything max with aa and af turned on the x800 and 6800gt ot perform the 6600 by a long shot at 1600x1200.

Like Trepidati0n said, a 6600gt will give you a performance boost, but nowhere near enough of one to merit replacing a ~$150 card with a $200 card. If you want a major performance boost, go with a 6800gt or higher, nothing lower in AGP would be worth it unless you get a really good deal.

MrMitch said:
to run that res you pretty much need a x800xt

I run WoW at that res with all effects maxed and 2xaa with a completely playable frame rate.

Edit: oops, on a 6800GT.

Whenever I see "Completely playable framerate" I immediatley picture trolls posting that the human eye cannot see more than 30fps.

"Completely playable" and "not looking like complete shit" are two very different things to most gamers....

Gillette said:
Whenever I see "Completely playable framerate" I immediatley picture trolls posting that the human eye cannot see more than 30fps.

"Completely playable" and "not looking like complete shit" are two very different things to most gamers....

Uh, I said all effects maxed and 2xaa, but just to make you feel better it's consistently in the range of 25-35 fps (unless you go into huge raids).

Don't hate me because I'm getting good performance out of a 6800GT (I also have an X800XT if it makes your ATI !!!!!! side feel better).

I have to agree with Gillette. Playable is one thing, but running WELL is another. It reminds me of seeing people claiming that Doom 3 runs well on their 9600's at 1280X1024. It might run and you might be able to occasionally hit 30 fps on an empty well-lit hallway with all of the details all the way down.

I think what he wants to know is if a 6600GT will run the game at that res and still keep the detail cranked and stay above 40 fps all the time...which I think it might, but I'm not sure about detail seetings. Like others have suggested, I'd go with a 6800GT for a little more...or just wait for prices to drop when the next gen cards come out. I've also heard more than one person mention the RAM bottleneck, too.

Your going to need at least a 6800GT or higher to run 1920X1200

I run WoW at 1920X1200 all details and draw distance max.. and 4XAA, Max AF with 2GB of Ram, FX53 and a GeForce 6800 Ultra AGP and I'll still see frame rate dips every now and then.

The article mentioned that there's not too much difference between 50% draw distance and max draw distance. So you can try that and also turn AA off since you're at such a high res.

You'd need a 6800GT/Ultra or a high end X800. The reason is MEMORY BANDWIDTH!!! The 6600GT is quick up to 1280x1024 if you like eyecandy, but then it's 128MB 128bit memory setup will get hammered at anything higher.

consumer9000 said:
You'd need a 6800GT/Ultra or a high end X800. The reason is MEMORY BANDWIDTH!!! The 6600GT is quick up to 1280x1024 if you like eyecandy, but then it's 128MB 128bit memory setup will get hammered at anything higher.

I think you may have something there. But in his case the 9800pro should really shine with its 256 bit bus by your logic. A GPU is more than its memory bandwidth.

However don't forget WoW is last gen technology and therefore not as Doom/HL intensive. I would say play it with the 9800. If you get the results you need...STOP. If you don't...make a LARGE jump to get the performance you need. Just don't forget that WoW is system memory intensive. The more of the game memory textures that are in RAM the better you are off.

It is the large RAID situation or heavy usage towns where the power rigs shine in WoW.

-tReP

ECM said:
Uh, I said all effects maxed and 2xaa, but just to make you feel better it's consistently in the range of 25-35 fps (unless you go into huge raids).

Don't hate me because I'm getting good performance out of a 6800GT (I also have an X800XT if it makes your ATI !!!!!! side feel better).

6800GT is a damn good card, no arguments.

That said, I would consider 25-35 FPS to be complete garbage. Games that run < 45FPS give me a massive headache.

ur 6600gt will run at that resolution with high details fine.. @ 1600x1200 according to the benches, the 6600gt get over 40 fps @ 1600x1200, a little higher res. would drop it down to 30's..and with 30's fps, the game would run great, so yeah it will work..

Gillette said:
That said, I would consider 25-35 FPS to be complete garbage. Games that run < 45FPS give me a massive headache.

you would never know the difference in wow.

I have a 6800GT and I play WoW at 1920x1200 with everything turned up. It is mostly fast enough, but a few spots in cities and such will slow it down to 17-20fps.

I am looking at replacing it with a X800XTPE or X850XTPE... or just wait it out for the new cards. Have not decided quite yet.

perfektrtw said:
I have a 6800GT and I play WoW at 1920x1200 with everything turned up. It is mostly fast enough, but a few spots in cities and such will slow it down to 17-20fps.

I am looking at replacing it with a X800XTPE or X850XTPE... or just wait it out for the new cards. Have not decided quite yet.

It isn't the card completely. Towns are less polygon/texture intensive than most other areas. What is killing you is all the freaking toons chrewing up every once of memory you have on your card and thensome. Take away the toons and Org is a nice place to visit. A bigger video card would help but a more RAM would help more. If I had the ability to put WoW completely into RAM...I would. The difference on my rig between 512 and 1GB is huge. I'm getting more to replace a broken stick so I should be able to report between 512,1GB, and 1.5GB.

-tReP

Back