6600 vs 6600gt vs X700Pro

TSS Modder

2[H]4U
i am in need of a budget graphics card with good performance. my 3 selections are:

256MB 6600 (eVGA, Chaintech, MSI, or Leadtek)
128MB 6600GT (XFX, Chaintech, Gigabyte)
128MB X700Pro (Sapphire, ABit, Gigabyte)
256MB X700Pro (ATI, Sapphire, PowerColor, ABit)

im looking at all 4 cards at www.chiefvalue.com. i need the best performer of these 4 at nothing more than 200-210$. this is a budget pc, so the cheaper the better. i just need recommendations for the chipset, amt of RAM, and brand.

I'd say definately go with teh 6600GT, seems to perform the best out of those cards, however I'm not sure if it will outperform the x700 with 256mb but I'm guessing the 256mb will only help in very high resolutions.

i assumed the 6600gt would take the lead, but the X700 can probably put up a fight. does anyone have any benchmarks/observations of the X700 and 6600GT?

EDIT: found some benchies at toms hardware; the 6600gt beats the X700 by almost 2x in 3DMark05. sounds like the 6600GT is the winner here... :D

beachnut said:
Where can I get a 1280X1024 wallpaper for the 6600GT?
what do you mean? you can find many wallpapers at www.digitalblasphemy.com. if youre looking for a wallpaper that has a 6600gt on it, nvidia might have promotional wallpapers.

and in regards to the 6600GT, what brand should i get?

i currently have the galaxy 6600gt - i havent overclocked it yet (i'll wait till the warrenty runs out), its a very nice card.

thanks, but the only brands i can buy are the ones in parentheses behind the card in my first post.

the X700 only beats it out at 1600x1200. and i doubt ill every play a game that high. between that, and the FPS diff is 1, maybe 2 frames.

Hate_Bot said:

LOL!
:D :D :D

As "proof" the X700Pro is better at high resolutions as you say, you provide a link to a 16X12 Far Cry benchmark where the X700 Pro averages 18fps and the 6600GT averages 17fps?!?!?!?!

Errrrr, this should not need to be said, but:

1. The 1fps difference is within margin of error
2. No human being could tell the difference of 1fps
3. 18 vs 17 average is sort of a moot point, no one could stand to play at this setting on these cards? (hint: if your average is 18fps, your minimum is probably 0? Motion has ceased? Looking at picture?)

From what I've seen, the x700 pro has trouble even keeping up with a 9800 pro, let alone a 6600GT. Not sure how the x700 xts fair (yes they are real, but very rare)

aight 6600gt it is. just please dont start a flame war.... :(

but you guys never answered the other question: which brand. your choices are in the first post.

well, should i get this XFX: http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=property&item=14-150-078
which includes 2 games and dual DVI but no RAM heatsinks

or this Chaintech: http://www.chiefvalue.com/app/productdetails.asp?submit=property&item=14-145-098
which appears to have slightly better cooling and RAM heatsinks, but no extra games or dual DVI.

theres a 7$ diff between the two. dual DVI would be nice for the future (currently has a 19" CRT on it) and its kinda cool to get free games. but would the extra 'cooling' come in handy on the RAM chips?

yes but its refurbished. i dont like refurbished.

and since its barebones OEM, it doesnt include games or accessories. both of which i need.

Get the cheapest with the options you want, ram cooling is beneficial. Look at the warranties if you dont want to OC or mod because both of those void warranties.

~Adam

Get a BFG....best cooling that i've seen yet, comes overclocked out of the package, and lifetime warrenty....can't beat that.

Edit: Haha,wopps, wrong thread.

Anyways, get an EVGA, just for the possibility of stepping it up (Fo shizzle)

Remember (if you dont already know) ram size doesn't help as much as faster ram and better cards. So for instance that 6600 256mb card still won't be anywhere as good as the 6600gt 128meg card but the 6600 could run games with less texture compression which could theoretically mean better IQ but the reward from it is miniscule when you put it against the extra speed and higher AA/AF the 128meg 6600gt can run with.

That was typed quickly so if I'm mistaken do me the favor of checking for me.

~Adam

I have the BFG 6600GT, great card, handles Half Life 2 nicely, stutters at times, at really intense moments, with No AA or AF on. Nice solid card, you can't go wrong with it.

Back