66 Percent of Popular Android Cryptocurrency Apps Don't Use Encryption

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Believe it or not, new analysis by security firm High-Tech Bridge has found that 66 percent of popular cryptocurrency apps don't use HTTPS to encrypt information in transit. To make matters worse 94 percent of these apps had at least three medium-risk vulnerabilities. If you're using one of these apps and a hacker really wants to get into your wallet or passwords then you're in danger. Be careful out there.

“If you don’t have proper encryption—or it’s simply not implemented because some of these apps are using HTTP with no encryption at all—when you’re sitting with your phone at a cafe or the airport and the Wi-Fi is insecure, someone else can seize the traffic, intercept your login passwords, and access your wallet or digital storage,” Kolochenko told me.

Basic encryption and https are not hard (or that costly) to implement. I might be an old fart, but I don't trust this market yet. Seems incredibly risky and very wild wild west.

Would've liked to have a list of those apps that the article noted.

I can definitely understand the wariness of trading and I'd normally agree - handing out your SSI shouldn't be so willy nilly. It's there to check for suitability, record keeping requirements and anti-terrorist / anti-money laundering.

Look at it this way: If Equafax fucked you over, your SSI is already in the wild anyways.

Last edited:
"when you’re sitting with your phone at a cafe or the airport and the Wi-Fi is insecure"

Of steps to secure your online banking transactions, THIS would be #1 in my book (it's not just the word "insecure" I'm talking about either). Then you can move forward on good judgment with every other aspect.

Back