66 degrees from Northbridge...

jamezzz122

Supreme [H]ardness
Well I replaced my cooler for my Northbridge since my other one had the fan die. Now I am getting temps of 66 degrees. This is VERY high, correct? I think I messed up the thermal compound that was on the heatsink when I installed it because it was such a pain to install the two hooks. Maybe I should clean the NB core and heatsink and reapply? What do you think?

jamezzz122
From where are you getting your NB temps from?
I have a very similar setup as you: IC7, P4 2.8c, Zalman 7000 AlCu and a Passive Zalman 32J NB hs.
Using the PWM gauge as an indicator of the NB area temps ,as I always have just to have something to compare to, my temps actually went down after removing the Abit oem nb hsf.
I totally removed the old hsf and carefully cleaned the NB core with denatured alcohol.
I didn't want to deal with the hooks/loops popping out so I thermal epoxied the Zalman 32J on.
That voids the Abit warranty but I'm cooler, quieter and worry free.
Those hooks are a disaster waiting to happen.
I know just what you mean about messing up the compound because of the hooks.
I would clean it up, reapply compound and get someone to help you hold hs inplace while you reattach the hooks.
Abit EQ temps
32/sys 39/cpu 34/pwm

It's pretty hot and humid here in western mass now too

I dont know...Ive seen them run hotter and happily game without a performance hit or anything like crashes.

I am using Speedfan since I also use the program to control some of my fans. Higher than 66?!? :eek:

Bloefield, which one of those is your NB temp? I might clean the cooler and install it without the hooks. What are the best ways to clean off the core and surface of the heatsink. And what is a good epoxy to use? BTW, where in Mass are you? Waltham is pretty "west" also.

jamezzz122
Like I mentioned earlier I use the PWM =pulse width modulation via the Abit EQ as an indicator of the NB temps. I don't have a NB temp monitor per se thats why I asked where you get your NB temp readings from. Either way the PWM temps are lower for me with the Zalman passive NB32J than with an Abit hs and fan.
I used a new soft cloth baby diaper and the denatured alcohol[True Value Hardware] to remove the bubble gum type glob of oem stuff from the NB core.
The Zalman came with it's own thermal epoxy, 2 parts. One for the core, one for the hs.
I put a drop on each and spread it around, let it sit for 2-4 hours [says it dries in 20 minutes ] and it's worked out great.
There is a neat paper clip mod for the loops at the Abit forum if you don't want to void your warranty.

I'm in Agawam, suburb of Springfield, home of 6 Flags

pwm is NOT north bridge fool its the mosfets(actualy the inductors are what make the heat) proof of this can be given by max3 users playing with there otes fan(yep that fan wasnt there to be pretty)

old pic but gives point across, i needed to add a low cfm 40mm fan when i switched to water cooling dont make it tight, you want maybe 1 or 2 mms tops to need to push it down, make it out of a wire fan grill

ryuji
Hey moron, I said I use the PWM readings as an indicator for temps.
Not the PWM IS the NB temps
Read the fucking post idiot.
You're the fool for trying to jump in and incorrectly portray someone else as a fool.
I know the fuckin pwm is not reading the nb.
That's why I asked where he was getting the nb temp readings from--idiot.

jamezzz122 said:
Well I replaced my cooler for my Northbridge since my other one had the fan die. Now I am getting temps of 66 degrees. This is VERY high, correct? I think I messed up the thermal compound that was on the heatsink when I installed it because it was such a pain to install the two hooks. Maybe I should clean the NB core and heatsink and reapply? What do you think?

I had the same problem with my NB on my Asus A8N, which is why I turned to H2O cooling. My highest temps are about 33C now. I would also dump the hooks and use screws and nuts.

what will you do, drill holes through the motherboard, around the nb, which has 100% trace density :eek:

nope all p4s have hooks not holes

old pic but it shows the point, amasing how long i am going demonstrating things with my camera lost/gone

ryuji said:
nope all p4s have hooks not holes

old pic but it shows the point, amasing how long i am going demonstrating things with my camera lost/gone

Damn that looks awesome. I don't think I would have enough room for that with my Zalman CPU heatsink. Time to try and reinstall my NB cooler :(

ryuji said:
it looks awsome? thought it looked ghetto :p

LOL...I just loved how it was original. It's funny how there are three peopel from MA in this thread. REPRESENT! :D

with the zalman you can offset the sink since its a put the wire in the fins mounting system, i offset mine to fit my old xp-120, time to buy a new one this is how it used to look

Back