650w enough for new Kaby Lake build with 1080

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Putting together a new system, and at first I was eyeing a Corsair 750w gold, but now I'm looking at the evga 650 gold fully mod, just wondering if it'll be enough so that the fan's don't ramp up under full load.

I plan on running a 7700k, whatever board, only a single M.2 pcie SSD 500gb, GTX 1080 FE, air cooling, and that's pretty much it. Might add a normal sata for large storage.

As they said, 650W it's plenty, even if you want to OC CPU + GPU.

With SLI and Crossfire being less prevalent and supported, and cards getting MORE efficient per performance.. Why would you need to 'future proof'? As I mentioned earlier his actual power draw is still likely less than 300w... 650 is enough. I run a GTX 1070 and i5 4690k OC'd on a 450W and I'm still nowhere near 450... >.>

It's worth noting that the 1080 with a Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz even under Furmark http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/30 does not go above 318W. With a little overhead for GPU OC a 400W is enough.

And this is truly an outlier. You would need Titans in SLI to justify anything at and above 600W.

These days, you know, your non-LGA 2011 CPU will consume < 100W and your GPU < 200W and your PSU is actually able to deliver what's printed on the label and so this madness of putting 6-7-1200W PSUs into PCs is utter pointless.

Reactions: STR
like this
It's worth noting that the 1080 with a Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4.2GHz even under Furmark http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/30 does not go above 318W. With a little overhead for GPU OC a 400W is enough.

And this is truly an outlier. You would need Titans in SLI to justify anything at and above 600W.

These days, you know, your non-LGA 2011 CPU will consume < 100W and your GPU < 200W and your PSU is actually able to deliver what's printed on the label and so this madness of putting 6-7-1200W PSUs into PCs is utter pointless.

You went a little too far in the opposite direction there.

The LGA 2011 CPUs can consume 300+ watts overclocked, the mainstream ones can hit about 150 watts, and nVidia's mid-size die GPUs are capable of up to 250 watts on an overclock. Two cards at the 1070/1080 (mid-size die) level would need a 650 watt PSU to be safe with overclocks, though a 550 watt is doable without overclocks. There is another thread here where 850 watts is not enough to handle two Titan level cards on Intel's HEDT platform.

Futureproof for what exactly...? And why 750 in particular? Future hardware tends to consume less power not more...
Although futureproofing per se is foolish, there is a reason to go for a somewhat higher wattage PSU than a system needs: Over a period of a few years, even a really good PSU of a given wattage may no longer be able to handle its advertised wattage compared to when it was brand new.

Futureproof for what exactly...? And why 750 in particular? Future hardware tends to consume less power not more...
Depends if the user wants to use two GPUs instead of one. Even with 2GPUs (2*250W) it is fine as the RAM would draw 12-18W, Fans will draw 5W and SSDs will draw 0.5 W-2W. So even then 650W will be enough.

Others please comment.

More than enough, even taking into account a decent OC and several years of the system aging.

It would probably also handle SLI just fine, but you're probably going to be on the edge of acceptable there once the PSU is a little older and thus a little weaker.

For a single GPU system, run it from build-date to grave on a 650W. You should have no issues.

Yes it's definitely fine. I've just put together an ITX system with 7700K, GeForce 1080 Ti, 4 drives (1xM.2, 2x2.5" SATA SSDs and 1x3.5" mech HD) and it's running great. I went with an EVGA Supernova G3 650w and the PSU barely gets warm when the system is playing games.

Maybe he is going to be buying a RAID setup or a 2nd video card in 6 months when he gets some more cash.

I would consider that future proofing. Don't understand the grief.

650 watts is fine for that setup.

Maybe he is going to be buying a RAID setup or a 2nd video card in 6 months when he gets some more cash.

I would consider that future proofing. Don't understand the grief.

650 watts is fine for that setup.

Future proofing is usually done without any concrete goals or plans, just fanciful ideas that end up never materializing.

Future proofing is usually done without any concrete goals or plans, just fanciful ideas that end up never materializing.
Well, I am going under the guise of the fact I use forethought and I would imagine most folks here also think that way.

I could be wrong, I have been before.

Well, I am going under the guise of the fact I use forethought and I would imagine most folks here also think that way.

I could be wrong, I have been before.

Unfortunately most do not when they decide to futureproof. Here are typical results of people that futureproof in computers:

They end up never utilizing their hardware's potential. This is usually the case with PSUs as in general people do not stray far from their typical configurations, i.e. a single GPU mainstream CPU person will remain single GPU mainstream CPU when upgrading.
In the eventual case they do utilize it, cheaper hardware would have come out that makes upgrading twice with lower tier hardware more cost effective than upgrading once with higher tier hardware. Typically with CPUs and GPUs.
By the time it is utilized, it is old and outdated with better offerings on the market.

Back