• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

650HX and 460sli

Anti-Hero

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
324
See my system in the signature. The 460s are factory overclocked to 763 MHz core and I wanted to bump them up modestly to around 800 or so to match the faster factory oc'd galaxy models that are normally used in reviews [H]ere. Can my 650HX support this? I run one SSD along with a SATA drive that are not reflected in my sig. I haven't had any stability issues so far with my i5 at 3.6 GHz.

Thanks!
 
The HX650 should be able to handle your system with the GPUs overclocked.
 
I think the recommanded PSU for 460 SLI is 700 to 750Mhz, the one you have might be cutting it too close.
 
I'm thinking of trying to oc them further and test stability. Can I potentially damage the cards if the psu can't supply enough juice?
 
Don't think you can damage them that easily, but do expect random shut downs and stuff.
 
people will say that this power supply is enough for 460, but you should have some headroom, i went for 750 corsair
 
You have more than enough power to run those cards with room for extensive overclocking, don't worry about it.
 
I have a GTX460 SLI setup OC'd to 800/1940 with 1.025v on a Corsair HX620
My CPU is also OC'd from 2.6ghz to 2.8ghz stock voltage

My system has been stable running BFBC2 although with crap frame rates due to CPU bottleneck.

Ran MSI Kombustor stability test for an hour straight and was stable
 
Try OCCT GPU test, if it pass then it won't fail on anything else :)

You can also try PSU test (which is CPU+GPU at the same time) to make sure your PSU can handle everything maxed out :)
 
I OCed them further to 800 core, 1600 shader and 2000 memory. No stability problems thus far and OCCT GPU test gave me the go ahead!
 
Hahaha, what an awesome thread. I'm about to put an i7/470 setup into a PC P&C 610, so thanks for this. :D
 
I have a GTX460 SLI setup OC'd to 800/1940 with 1.025v on a Corsair HX620
My CPU is also OC'd from 2.6ghz to 2.8ghz stock voltage

My system has been stable running BFBC2 although with crap frame rates due to CPU bottleneck.

Ran MSI Kombustor stability test for an hour straight and was stable

Uh yeah. Even a single 460 would bottleneck on that chip. It's not even a Phenom II. Time to upgrade the cpu/system.
 
I've been looking into getting a i7-950 with two oc'ed GTX 460 in sli aswell.

Using this calculator http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp (Sadly the GTX 460 doesnt appear so I selected 470 sli)

Adding a few 7200 rpm hdd's, 6 sticks of ddr3, a few drives and some fans i come up with a recommended psu of around 750w. Currently I have my eyes set on a HX850w - would that be too much?
 
I think you'd be fine with a 750.

Just as proof I went ahead and ran that calculator with my system, and 470SLi in lieu of 460 and they recommend a 583W supply.
 
I just upgraded my CPU to a AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE and OC'd that and my video cards and ran OCCT + prime. Ran OCCT for an hour and Prime for 6 hours over night and seems to be stable.

18x cpu multiplier, 211mhz fsb

800/1940 @ 1.025v on GTX460 SLI
 
Back
Top