64bit VM in 32bit host OS

That Linux Guy

Limp Gawd
Can I do this? I got an error when trying to run the 64 bit beta of Windows 7 over my 32bit Windows XP Home. Any ideas or thoughts? The rig is my sig rig.

VMWare and VirtualBox can do it, but perhaps not for Windows 7.

Do you have VT activated in the BIOS?

No offense, but there is absolutely no reason to "mess around" with a 64 bit version of Windows 7 if you're running Windows XP Home. The 32 bit version of Win7 will work just fine, it's the same OS as the 64 bit version, and you won't have any issues or hassles because of the mish-mash of trying to run 64 bit code in a guest OS on a 32 bit host OS.

Grab the 32 bit ISO and roll with it...

VT is activated in the BIOS. I was using VirtualBox, although it's not the latest version.

Joe, I may try your suggestion. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to wait another 4 hours to download a similar file all over again.

Thanks for your help guys.

Both VirtualBox and VMWare claim to support a 64 bit guest OS on a 32 bit host OS as long as the CPU in the host machine is 64 bit capable and, as already noted, the VT-x support is enabled (meaning the CPU supports it and it's enabled in the BIOS on the host machine).

With VirtualBox, VT-x support for the guest OS is not enabled by default, it's an option that must be turned on with each individual guest OS as installed, under General - Advanced in the options for the given VM.

I don't know if VT-x support is always on by default in VMWare anymore, I stopped using their products quite some time ago, but if it's not I'm sure it's easy to enable.

After that, I can't see any reason it wouldn't function, meaning the 64 bit guest OS, as long as all the criteria and requirements are met.

VT is activated in the BIOS. I was using VirtualBox, although it's not the latest version.

Joe, I may try your suggestion. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to wait another 4 hours to download a similar file all over again.

Thanks for your help guys.

Virtual Box works fine with a 64bit OS in a 32bit Host.

Just make sure you turn on VT-x extensions in your Virtual Machine.

I run Win7 just fine this way.

Both VirtualBox and VMWare claim to support a 64 bit guest OS on a 32 bit host OS as long as the CPU in the host machine is 64 bit capable and, as already noted, the VT-x support is enabled (meaning the CPU supports it and it's enabled in the BIOS on the host machine).

With VirtualBox, VT-x support for the guest OS is not enabled by default, it's an option that must be turned on with each individual guest OS as installed, under General - Advanced in the options for the given VM.

I don't know if VT-x support is always on by default in VMWare anymore, I stopped using their products quite some time ago, but if it's not I'm sure it's easy to enable.

After that, I can't see any reason it wouldn't function, meaning the 64 bit guest OS, as long as all the criteria and requirements are met.

Workstation and the like enable it by default as well, and you can choose to pass it through to the guest (in order to run ESX in a VM with vms booting).

Back