64bit v 32bit OS w/ Q6600

I switched from XP32 to XP64 last year and I noticed much more speed. The 64 bit OS also allows you to use more memory 4GB plus. I much prefer 64 to 32.

I've heard that 64-bit OS's can help people get to google.com and search for things like "64-bit OS advantages" but I'm not sure.

for the average user like you maybe :rolleyes:

for someone doing research like me... on 64bit applications give me more than twice the performance I get on 32bit plus the ability to use 4GB (in the near future)

Yep, in short the upside is improved performance in 64-bit applications, and use of more memory.
Downside is that the 32-bit compatibility is not 100%, some applications may not run properly.
However, most applications do run, and there is no loss of performance. In fact, when using a lot of OS functionality, even 32-bit applications are sometimes faster on a 64-bit OS.
Another downside is that not all manufacturers may have 64-bit drivers, so you might not be able to get all of your hardware to work.

I personally have a 32-bit version of XP Pro installed as a fallback. I recently find myself in 32-bit quite often, because I use Cubase a lot, which works in 64-bit, but with a bit more latency... Probably has something to do with my midi drivers though, they show up as 'emulated' in 64-bit.
Other than that, 64-bit Windows works great for me. The improved 64-bit version of Far Cry is quite cool. And I have ported and optimized some of my own code to 64-bit and got some extra performance from it, that was pretty cool aswell.

Back