64bit conflicts with games

BossNoodleKaboodle

[H]ard|Gawd
I haven't received my Dell Precision Workstation and I was wondering if there will be a conflict with most applications and Windows 64bit and the emt64 on the processor. Will my games work? Will PS work?

There should be no conflict at all, except for the fact that you will be unable to use 32-bit drivers.

The biggest problem with x64 is drivers. Games and software work. There are a few exceptions, but generally all 32-bit apps run on WOW64.

I think Doom3 Return of Evil or whatever the expansion is called wont install on x64. But there is a workaround that you could find probably easily in the Operating Systems forum. Im sure there are also some older games that wont run.

Also, 16bit can run on 64bit with DOSBox. I've verified this :)

Another example of a game that won't work on x64 is Splinter Cell 3. It uses a copyright protection software called Starforce, which uses actual drivers to do it's work. The drivers are only 32-bit. Therefore the game won't run on a 64 bit OS because the drivers won't work, and therefore the copy protection can't work.

64-bit is not really useful for gaming (yet), and in some cases is more of a detriment. I wouldn't make getting 64 bit capability a priority at this point in time if you're mainly interested in gaming performance.

robberbaron said:
I think Doom3 Return of Evil or whatever the expansion is called wont install on x64. But there is a workaround that you could find probably easily in the Operating Systems forum. Im sure there are also some older games that wont run.

Also, 16bit can run on 64bit with DOSBox. I've verified this :)

Man, is that Oregon Trail? :eek:

Arkalius said:
Another example of a game that won't work on x64 is Splinter Cell 3. It uses a copyright protection software called Starforce, which uses actual drivers to do it's work. The drivers are only 32-bit. Therefore the game won't run on a 64 bit OS because the drivers won't work, and therefore the copy protection can't work.

Looks like ubisoft won't be getting my money this time around. Oh well their problem not mine.

robberbaron said:
Yes, in Windows x64.

Man, now I have an itching to play that game, but I doubt I could flind the original copy I had for the old 486.

I guess its just for old times sake.

Back