64 bit xp eval installation

Disarray

[H]ard|Gawd
I am having trouble creating a CD that I can use to install this program on a new hardrive. The computer I am installing this on does not have any operating instructions. How do I get the ISO format file into something I can use? Any advice will be appreciated.

If you have to ask that question I would suggest you not install a beta operating system.

You need to use a program like Nero. Alchohol 120 is a great program for ISOs also. You can download an eval of just about any of these programs and burn the ISO file to CD. CDRWIN is yet another program you could use. I would say go with Alchohol 120, because it will walk you right thru it.

BTW, once it's burned to CD you will be able to use it.:D

Good luck.

Pappy said:
If you have to ask that question I would suggest you not install a beta operating system.

LOL. I dont expect I will be hurting anything by trying and this will be a good way to learn. I was suprised that XP didnt break open the ISO file and I have no prior experiance with this file extension. Had done some reading about programs like alcohol but thought I would ask first.

So these programs will break the file down when it is written to the CD? I'll go grab one and give it a shot. Thanks Sandman.

an ISO file is basically a snapshot/image of a CD. Most burning programs will make you a working install CD from it, no problem...just choose to "burn image".

Like DIablo111 said (btw, Hey diablo:D) an ISO file is a snapshot/image of a CD. Remember this... if you ever want to copy a CD, you want to make an "image" of it. You don't copy a CD by draging the contents over to another CD. That is not a good copy AT ALL. Most programs make .ISO files as the "image file." (some however use .bin) When you are using some of these programs, and you chose to make a backup of the disc... it will "rip" the contents to an image file, and then burn that image to a blank CD. Most of the time the program will discard the image file after the burn is complete, without you even knowing it. HOWEVER, if you wanted to make...say 20 copies of a CD, or you simply wanted to store the image of the CD on your hard drive so you could make copies as you need them... you would KEEP the image file (.iso, .bin, etc...) on your hard drive. You could then open up your burning program at any time and make that CD at anytime because you stored the image on your HDD.

I hope that helps you understand .ISO files a little better. I got my first burner back in like 1997. It was a 1X Sony "Cartridge Load" (over $600.00:eek: ). Right after I got it installed, I thought I would try making a copy of a CD. So what did I do? I made a folder on the hard drive, and copied the contents of the CD to that folder, and then burned those folders back to a blank. That was TOTALLY WRONG, and I would figure that out later.:D When I first read your post, you reminded me of me back then. So I remember what that was like.:D Hope that helps.

Good luck

Just do mount -t iso9660 -o loop <hilename> <mount point>
Oh, wait. Wrong OS. :p

sandman78 said:
I hope that helps you understand .ISO files a little better. I got my first burner back in like 1997. It was a 1X Sony "Cartridge Load" (over $600.00:eek: ).
If you think that's nuts, I've got a 1x write/2x read SCSI DVD-Ram built in 1998. Just imagine what that must have cost. :eek: Of course I got it for free- a month or two ago lol. One of the guys at work was telling me about a .5x cd-burner they'd bought at some co. he'd worked for. That was at least a couple of grand. Now we can get a 52x for what, $40?

It's scary to even try to think what that thing cost in 1998. :eek: That's pretty cool that you've got it tho. That has to be one of the first gen dvd ram drives. Keep it in your family for another hundred years and then one day your great grandchildren can take it to one of those "what's this worth" auctions on TV :D.

Back