Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Actually just for HL2 and HL2:LC. Not even HL2:EP1 is native 64 bit.freakycody said:Just to let you know Steam released a 64bit patch for CS:S (Counterstrike:Source) so yeah CS:S should run good on it.
Tylerdurdened said:OK so last question, sorry.. My hard drive messed up today and I have to reinstall windows, so I'm thinking of going 64 this time
So right now lets say I get 170 FPS in CS:S stress test, if I install XP 64 edition and have pretty much the exact same configurtion, would I get higher or lower FPS?
Yashu said:software that is coded to take advantage of x64 will do alot better... but just because the binary is 64bit doesn't mean it was coded to take advantage of it.
HL2 is a pretty terrible measure of 64bit performance.
I'm talking about CS:S, which doesn't have a 64 bit port, hence why I asked, since it's the game I play the mostYashu said:software that is coded to take advantage of x64 will do alot better... but just because the binary is 64bit doesn't mean it was coded to take advantage of it.
HL2 is a pretty terrible measure of 64bit performance.
Tylerdurdened said:I'm talking about CS:S, which doesn't have a 64 bit port, hence why I asked, since it's the game I play the most
How can you tell if its 64 or not?Lord of Shadows said:Edit: Just updated my cs:s and checked if it was still 64bit, it was not.
fixed for you.freakycody said:Just to let you know Steam released a 64bit patch for CS:S (Counterstrike:Source) so yeah CS:S should run well on it.
Yashu said:wait... so I *will* be able to upgrade to vista afterall??!?!?!
The vista upgrade matrix says no to xp64, and I have been asking all over if xp32 can upgrade to vista64 or if xp64 can go to vista64... the upgrade matrix does not specify.
drizzt81 said:fixed for you.
I really don't think that there is a compelling reason to move to winXP x64 at this point.
Be that as it may, how much faster/ slower do 32 bit apps using WoW run? As you mentioned in a thread in the video card forum, there is a distinct lack of driver and application support for XPx64, so why move to an OS that already appears to have been adandoned?Dan_D said:As I have said before many times, and will say again, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition runs faster on the Athlon 64's. They get a speed boost out of it.
the OP has a single GB of RAM. If he were using 4GB, then he'd have a reason, provided he did not want to look for WinXP workarounds.Dan_D said:Not only that but you are no longer limited to 4GB of ram. Plus the 64bit games usually run a bit better than their 32bit counterparts and all your 32bit software does work.
Which is the reason for the critical phrase in my post "at this point". I am in no way opposed to a 64-bit OS, in fact I'd love it, but unless there is an app the OP uses frequently that sees considerable benefits from running in a 64-bit environment, the lack of driver support and general awkwardness of running XP x64, I do not see a reason to move to XP x64 at this point.Dan_D said:The 64bit OS advantages are numerous and I do consider them compelling, the rest of the industry just needs to catch up with the times and provide additional software and driver development for the platform.
drizzt81 said:Be that as it may, how much faster/ slower do 32 bit apps using WoW run? As you mentioned in a thread in the video card forum, there is a distinct lack of driver and application support for XPx64, so why move to an OS that already appears to have been adandoned?
the OP has a single GB of RAM. If he were using 4GB, then he'd have a reason, provided he did not want to look for WinXP workarounds.
Which is the reason for the critical phrase in my post "at this point". I am in no way opposed to a 64-bit OS, in fact I'd love it, but unless there is an app the OP uses frequently that sees considerable benefits from running in a 64-bit environment, the lack of driver support and general awkwardness of running XP x64, I do not see a reason to move to XP x64 at this point.
thanks, I did not know thatDan_D said:WoW doesn't seem to hinder performance at all. I've even seen speeds boosts in some applications running it. Not because of the WoW itself, but because the overall system runs better under x64 Edition that the normal XP 32. This was certainly the case with my dual Opteron setup. Additionally, several dual processor and dual core users also report improved performance in multitasking and overall system smoothness with XP x64 Edition which I experienced as well.
when I ran it, I could not find a working version of flash, which made browsing a lot less fun. Additionally, managing two "program files" directories was a bit of a PITA, especially when running as a non-admin.dan_d said:As far as the comment about running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition being awkward, well after running it for a year I can't agree. It wasn't awkward at all. It was just like normal Windows XP, except slightly faster.
drizzt81 said:thanks, I did not know that
when I ran it, I could not find a working version of flash, which made browsing a lot less fun. Additionally, managing two "program files" directories was a bit of a PITA, especially when running as a non-admin.
You don't need anything on your hard drive to perform an upgrade installation.
Yashu said:Maybe you are missing what I was asking.
Back when I ran win2k, I did an upgrade to XP (32), and it worked out pretty well. There weren't really many side effects, and the process was pretty clean.
I don't want to have to reinstall all my stuff, and if I can run the upgrade install to vista 64 from where I am now, I would be happy to try it out first... and if it is too buggy then I can install it fresh, but I would like to try the upgrade install first.
I am not talking about upgrade liscense, but actual upgrade installation.
That is what I want to know. Can it be done?
I always advise against upgrade installations anyway, and would never consider doing one myself. You are just asking for problems.
Some things you may not have known about the 2000 to XP process. When you install XP over 2K, it keeps the WINNT folder instead of installing to the Windows Directory. Plus it keeps the basic folder structure that was present in NT. I found some issues with that back in the day.
Yashu said:I don't think that a fresh install is necessary on as many occasions as alot of people here. It is just personal preference. Some people reinstall their OS when switching video card brands...
If you know what you are doing... what to look for, what to prune out, what to avoid, you can generally keep an install for a long time.
I keep my system so clean and organised, the upgrade wouldn't be very dangerous I don't think.
If we are talking about switching from an X2 or Athlon 64 to a Core 2 Duo, then absolutely.
Ub3rn00b said:The truth of the matter is that most of the people that use xp 64 right now are only using it so that they can show their other computer nerdy friends that they have it. Nevermind that none of their programs work and most of their hardware is useless now. Games? Forget about it. DVD conversion and capture? Forget about it. So what is the advantage? You can get nerdy dudes to drool on your screen. You can also get nerdy chicks to drool too. On what is up to you.
Wait at least another year for more compatibility before trying to use a 64bit OS. For MOST people, they'll still be using 32 bit OSs in another year too. Most people I know that have a 64 bit system / OS also have another system that has 32 bit OS so that they can carry on their normal lives.
Yashu said:Nothing is fundamentally different about core2 that needs a reinstall. Uninstall all drivers, including chipset... run drivercleaner, clean the registry of any leftovers, and then attempt to boot the core2 system. If it halts, run a repair installation... 99% of the time, that will get it going, then just install all the new drivers and run windows update to bring everything back in line.
The only files being replaced are chipset specific... and it's a relatively small amount.
It sounds complicated, but most of the work is just window's PnP engine adjusting to all the new PCI IDs and adresses. Yes, this can get messy sometimes... that is the drawback. Throw the bones... if it works you saved alot of time.
Also, don't forget sysprep... I have trouble getting it to work right, but I hear it automates this whole process.
Yashu said:well I ran it expecting it would strip out what I needed to make a motherboard switch easy... and it did nothing, well it did some annoying things, but not what I wanted. It booted in the same way if I did it without sysprep.
Sysprep may be useful to some, but it was pointless for me, I am not working on 100 systems... just a couple... it was easier just to do it the old fashioned way.