64 bit guest on a 32 bit host not working

Crash250f

Gawd
Hey, I'm new to virtualbox and I've run into a problem trying to get win7 64bit guest to run on a 32bit winXP host. Whenever AMD-v is checked, VBox crashes to desktop when it tries booting the win7 cd. When I dont have it checked it gives me the warning about installing a 64 bit os on a 32 bit system. My cpu is the AMD 6400+ (non BE) which I believe should have the amd-v extension needed...at least wikipedia tells me it should :p . I've also run 64 bit win7 on this system before, but formatted back to XP.

I've read that I can get a 64 bit guest to run on a 32 bit host. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I've read in a few places that vbox 2.1 supports it but I might be wrong. As I said I'm new to this stuff.

Edit:
Think I may have solved my own problem after doing a few more hours of looking around.

"On most systems, the hardware virtualization features first need to be enabled in the BIOS before VirtualBox can use them. "

Checking that now.

And it turns out enabling amd-v isn't a straightforward process. Most people can't find it in their bios, including me. Back to google :mad:

amd 6400+ x2 (Non be). Motherboard is nvidia 590sli from foxconn C51XEM2AA. Looked into it more and I'm pretty sure they don't have a bios option for it. Does it really come down to them just not supplying the option for me to turn it on? That would suck.

amd 6400+ x2 (Non be). Motherboard is nvidia 590sli from foxconn C51XEM2AA. Looked into it more and I'm pretty sure they don't have a bios option for it. Does it really come down to them just not supplying the option for me to turn it on? That would suck.

it might be pacifica as mentioned above, but many of the nforce boards don't have the bios option. This is what finally drove me away from Nvidia chipsets :(

Virtual box does support 64bit vm's in a 32bit host but i personally haven't tried it.

My only question is why would you want to run a x64 OS on a x86 hardware platform?

Even if it did work you would be running the virtual OS at 1/2 speed since the physical process has to do 2 cycles for every 1 in the virtual OS. Basically you would be, ideally, running at x86 (32-bit) speeds, if not slower.

The big reason I would think of trying to accomplish would to test drivers or hardware compatibility but it's all virtual hardware so drivers...etc are not the same.

My only question is why would you want to run a x64 OS on a x86 hardware platform?

Even if it did work you would be running the virtual OS at 1/2 speed since the physical process has to do 2 cycles for every 1 in the virtual OS. Basically you would be, ideally, running at x86 (32-bit) speeds, if not slower.

The big reason I would think of trying to accomplish would to test drivers or hardware compatibility but it's all virtual hardware so drivers...etc are not the same.

good question and points...but a lot of folks in the virtualbox forum were asking for it.

Back