64-bit and WHQL certified

I just wanted to make sure that my information was correct. I am under the impression that if you have the 64-bit version of vista you can only load drivers that are WHQL certified, is that correct?

If so I was wondering how drivers are working on 64-bit editions. I have an eVGA 7800GT g-card and on their site it says that they have a beta out for 32/64bit vista but I looked and saw that it is not WHQL certified. Is there something special about things being in beta and not have to be certified?

Thanks.

Correct. ALL 64 bit device drivers must be digitally signed by Microsoft this time around, meaning all of them pass WHQL testing. This is one of the reasons people have been having gripes about Vista 64 bit so far, because a lot of manufacturers don't want to have to "jump through hoops" for Microsoft - but in the long run this process will make Vista BETTER and far more reliable than just anyone writing a damned driver and sticking it on a website so you can take your chances.

It comes up with an error asking if you still want to install the drivers. I've done it with laptopvideo2go drivers and they still work. So I dunno who said non WHQL drivers don't work, cuz they do. Least with vid drivers

Than how can a company say that their driver is for 32/64bit vista if in fact it will not run on the 64bit platform? Is there something I'm missing in my thinking?

I was under the impression that vista did not have the "continue anyway" button when installing drivers that are not signed by microsoft.

Than how can a company say that their driver is for 32/64bit vista if in fact it will not run on the 64bit platform? Is there something I'm missing in my thinking?

I was under the impression that vista did not have the "continue anyway" button when installing drivers that are not signed by microsoft.

The package will have binaries compiled for 32bit and 64bit. Using a single inf to install based on the processor + OS architecture

It comes up with an error asking if you still want to install the drivers. I've done it with laptopvideo2go drivers and they still work. So I dunno who said non WHQL drivers don't work, cuz they do. Least with vid drivers
True. I installed 2 unsigned 64-bit Vista drivers last night, one was a video driver and the other was a RealTek audio driver. Both gave warnings about being unsigned, but both devices worked properly after installation.

True. I installed 2 unsigned 64-bit Vista drivers last night, one was a video driver and the other was a RealTek audio driver. Both gave warnings about being unsigned, but both devices worked properly after installation.

But all those pundits, they all said you can't do that!! And because you can't do that, 64bit is safer.

/I am the great sarcasmo

So the tech pundits lie? and unsigned drivers are able to be installed? Than I wonder what all the fuss is about.

So the tech pundits lie? and unsigned drivers are able to be installed? Than I wonder what all the fuss is about.

Pundits always lie. Thats why you don't listen to them. lol They're barking about shit they haven't used yet and prolly wont. I've upgraded my Nvidia drivers about 3 or 4 times. None of them were WHQL and still worked. The ones I'm using now aren't WHQL even though the WHQL version came out yesterday lol. I see no reason to upgrade, since they are the same version. Plays games fine.

The latest nVidia 64bit drivers are still only unsigned beta versions. Same with Creative's drivers.

So I can install these in Vista 64bit and they will work ?

Certain drivers don't have to be WHQL (like audio and video devices), but drivers like SATA/RAID (etc) do, or Vista x64 will not boot without the user having to choose to override the WHQL requirement every single time he restarts the computer (trust me I learned this the hard way). Hope this clears things up.

Ya I get it now, thank you!
I thought that ALL drivers had to be WHQL.

Back