• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

635 HD HTPC build?

Jacorby

n00b
Joined
Jun 11, 2015
Messages
35
Hello HF users this is my second post here.

I am looking at building a performance HTPC.. What I mean by this, is that I want the pc product to deliver HD video content, consistently at 60 frames per second, and am considering acquiring the Nvidia 635 GT, a dedicated desktop card unit, to fulfill the role. In-fact I would prefer the output to the display to be fullHD, that is.. to meet the 1080p video standard, at 60 frames per second, or comparable framerate, from a variety of video sources. This is a computer build i am doing for a person.

From the NVidia site, I figure this card has many ideal qualities for a drop in htpc card. For example: the card offers modern architecture and innovation, low heat generation, low energy consumption, low initial investment, and in my case, no need to replace an existing 300w power supply! I have also found that this card is used in many modern, middle class, but high priced pc's, as the stock gpu.

However, while everything sounds great so far, I have a serious concern. The card offers regular ddr3 as the dedicated memory, and not gddr.. In some cases 1gb of ddr3, other cases 2gb. I am concerned with the 14.4 GB/s memory bandwidth.. and also the 7.7 GPixel/s Pixel Rate.. As these are lower figures than any card I currently employ. In my investigation, I have read many forum posts by people wanting to upgrade from this card. Surely alot of people upgrade form this card. I remember when I had a 7300le in my base media pc years ago, I upgraded, with an new psu, to an 8800GT! but I have seen very few cases here where people detail the reasons behind their upgrade from the 635 GT.. I casually assume the upgrades are related to gaming performance, as some have directly stated. I have seen one or two threads, in my search, where people have complained about video performance, one regarding a football game but there was little follow up to form an opinion.. The primary display will be a 60hz plasma, running a 600hz subfield drive.

I`m concerned mainly with the ability to throughput 1080p video from streaming sources, at 60fps, or at a comparable rate.. Any insight you can offer may help me, and anyone following me, who are considering implementing this card. I`m fond of the idea of the 635GT, but i have concerns regarding it`s ability to effectively fullfill a role in an htpc.

I am to build this pc to serve it`s intended purpose, of serving hd video from various sources, successfully, and thats pretty much it. Blu Ray, Netflix, and other HD streaming sources. I hope that you, fellow, can offer some insight, regarding performance of this specific card.

I have been reading at the NVidia site, which from where I leave with the opinion this card would be great for video delivery. Seems great, for investment, say the situation changes, very little loss from initial investment. Going to a 2 or 4kdisplay, or decide you want to start heavy gaming? No probs, because it`s not like we over invested originally! The card runs cool, runs quite, draws efficient power. From what I have.. gathered, it would seem to me this would be the ideal htpc card.. It`s modern: great!
htt p://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-635-oem/features


However could the cards memory capability result in bottlenecking hd video, from some sources? For example hd streaming content. On one hand, the nvidia sites highlights the cards blu ray 3d hd support.. But I think blu ray is a proprietary source, and perhaps it is handled in a very controlled way..

So what do you guys think about the 635Gt as an htpc card?! Will it fit the bill?

And one more thing.. I wonder, how does this 1gb of ddr3 dedicated memory affect general pc uses. Web surfing for example. Also, this gpu, in addition servicing as an htpc, will be used to drive a second display(in display clone mode..) at a desktop, for email, web browsing, multiple tab facebooking (probably less than 10 tabs), or maybe just single window untabbed browsing. The second display will likely be a crt running 1280*960, at say 75 hz, or another lcd monnitor 1600*900 60hz, for email and social networking, and maybe video watching. This card i think is fast in many ways, but will that regular ddr3 support the refreshing a 1280*960 display at 75 hz? Or How about 80hz or 85 hz..?

Thankyou for taking the time to read my posting. I look forward to replies! Any information you can add to

this topic would be great. Have you had experience with a 635 OEM? Are you an expert in such things? Looking forard to hearing back from the forum.

Also, other detail about the build, mostly yet to be hammered out
Generious efficient processor
Modern SSD(fast) for boot, programs, and image storage
HDD for video file storage, music, & archieve, second HDD typically unspun for system backup
Maybe 6 or 8gb of speedy-ish ram

The pc will usually be in sleep mode and might rarely be turned off. The pc will may see gaming in likes of

candy crush, and maybe a few tabs. :)

The graphics card, if we go with the 635 GT, is replaceable should the intended purpose of the pc change.

htt p://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2790&gid2=591&compare=geforce-gt-635-oem-vs-geforce-gtx-660
htt p://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=2790&gid2=591&compare=geforce-gt-635-oem-vs-geforce-gtx-660
 
Last edited:
Video playback is dependent on source framerate, not video card. "60 FPS" is a 3D metric for games, not for video. Basically any current on-board video will playback full hd. If you're looking to futureproof, and want 4k video playback, then your hardware needs to be "performance" but I put together a HTPC based on Asrock's QC5000-itx and it plays back streaming and local 1080p video fine.
 
If you're just streaming video file to other computers, you don't even need a video card to do that. The video is rendered ion the destination computer.

If you want to playback video, all you need is Intel or AMD on-board video.
 
Thanks for the info.. and taking the time to answer my question. This hold true if I want to playback un-compressed streamed hd content? Same deal then guys?
GPU memory never comes in the picture?
 
First off, all video is compressed. Don't know why you think there's such a thing as an "un-compressed" stream. If you mean playing back straight Blu Ray rips, yeah Intel HD Graphics can handle that. So can AMD.

And yeah, video ram doesn't matter. The cards have dedicated hardware to decode the video. That dedicated hardware in HD Graphics (since Ivy Bridge) can handle H.264 video at up to 4k resolution.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top