• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

630 vs 3200+ vs 540

Joined
Mar 8, 2005
Messages
805
Hey guys so which of these CPU do you think it is the best all rounder?

P4 540 3.2Ghz HT LGA775
P4 630 3.0Ghz HT LGA 775
AMD64 3200+ Socket 939

So which of these CPU will be on top and which one is the best to build a new computer with?
 
Sir-Fragalot said:
What apps and or games will you be using?

Well i will be running numerous applications such as Word processors,Flash program, dream weaver, Photo shop, Corel draw, internet softwares, Hl2, Doom3, mainly it is for work and gaming.
 
no competition.....the A64 3200+...
it will excell in the gaming and the other listed applications arent too CPU intensive..
(ps. not sure what dreamweaver is so it may be different, but honestly the 3200+ will kick butt)
 
okay, I'm going to be the minority in this conversation and vote for the 3Ghz, 630 chip.

I say this because mine's chuggin' along quite nicely @ 4.1Ghz. ;)

prescott_CPU_shot4.jpg


-oh, and by the way. we've always known that the A64's main claim to fame was how good they were in the gaming department but since when did they start being the all around superior chip as well?

or is this info strictly coming from A64 owners? :rolleyes:
 
My A64 3000+ sucks ass in windows based programs that i use for webdesign like photoshop, homesite, and flash hands down. my P4 630 totally slaps it in the face, i dont care what your benching graphs show, the P4 owns it in windows.
 
If there is going to be intensive photshop/corel then...P4
If mainly gaming then.............................................A64
If on a budget then.................................................A64
If 64-bit then..........................................................A64 or P4(6xx series...expensive)


Best all around (no bias)................................A64

Why? Because it's cheaper, better at games and has 64 bit which the 630 has but the 630 is $40 more and slower.

AND 939 mobo will support Dual core already so scalibilty/upgradeablity is a plus.

BUT the 540J is not bad at all and is a good choice too. Just the 630 is no good, price performance wise
 
ozziegn said:
okay, I'm going to be the minority in this conversation and vote for the 3Ghz, 630 chip.

I say this because mine's chuggin' along quite nicely @ 4.1Ghz. ;)

prescott_CPU_shot4.jpg


-oh, and by the way. we've always known that the A64's main claim to fame was how good they were in the gaming department but since when did they start being the all around superior chip as well?

or is this info strictly coming from A64 owners? :rolleyes:

Nice OC man, are you running your P4 with a stock cooler or a after market one?, and how does it performs in games?
 
I dont use stock CPU coolers.

I'm using the Thermaltake SilentTower cooler on this setup:

lian_li9.jpg
 
Phranq said:

yea... i think you left out these benchmarks from your post... http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2353&p=6
you responded to someone saying A64's claim to fame was gaming but when did it become king of all cpu's in all departments, and you linked him directly to a gaming section of a review... well.. this is from the same review article you linked him to, but a different page... i would say the benchmarks clearly benifit the 630, to backup his argument....
and yes... this is coming from an AMD64 owner... i actually own 2 of them, a 939 3000+ and a 939 3200+...but if you check my sig, you might discover something...

[edit] oh... and btw... my vote is for the 540... (because i hate windows XP, and im not sure how hot win2k is for dual core cpu's)
 
If you're going to be a decent amount of gaming I'd go with the A64.

If you're going to be doing mostly windows work and gaming here and there I'd go with the P4.

If you're going to be doing a pretty even balanced I'd go with the A64.


The lesson here? P4s are the better Windows chip. They are slightly more expensive though, and you wont have near the upgrade path that a S939 A64 would. So, from that its really up to you.
 
Skrying said:
The lesson here? P4s are the better Windows chip. They are slightly more expensive though,

I've heard that soooo many times and quite frankly I think its a bunch of bullxxxx.

I tried an A64 3200+ Winchester setup along with a DFI NF4 Ultra-D setup a while back ago and it wasnt no freakin' cheaper than a comparable P4 setup.

so I dont know where these AMD f@nboys always pull this "AMDs are so much cheaper than the P4s" junk because it simply isnt true.
 
P4 530J 175$
P4 925XE Board 185$

Total: 360$

A64 3200+ 190$
DFI Lanparty Ultra/NF4 Board 140$

Total: 330$


50$ more? maybe, its barely 30 with +- of the prices.
 
Dillusion said:
P4 530J 175$
P4 925XE Board 185$

Total: 360$

A64 3200+ 190$
DFI Lanparty Ultra/NF4 Board 140$

Total: 330$


50$ more? maybe, its barely 30 with +- of the prices.

^ exactly.... thats what I'm saying.
 
Dillusion said:
P4 530J 175$
P4 925XE Board 185$

Total: 360$

A64 3200+ 190$
DFI Lanparty Ultra/NF4 Board 140$

Total: 330$


50$ more? maybe, its barely 30 with +- of the prices.

agreed man To me both AMD and P4 prices are the same, and some of the AMD board cost more then the P4 one, so its not true that most P4 system are more expensive.
 
Dillusion said:
P4 530J 175$
P4 925XE Board 185$

Total: 360$

A64 3200+ 190$
DFI Lanparty Ultra/NF4 Board 140$

Total: 330$


50$ more? maybe, its barely 30 with +- of the prices.

But why do you need a i925XE? Better yet, look at that ABit board picture with the Overclocked P4 on it? There another very good board called the Duara Max.

Abit AA8XE

There are other problems with what you're saying as well. There's 3 levels of nForce4 motherboards similar to Intel's 925XE and 925X, then the cheaper 915P. Examples of this is the excellent Dura Max i925X i925X from also from Abit. There are tons of great i915's that are similar in price or cheaper than many nForce4's.

Problem 2 is processors from different area's of the price listing. Like 130nm vs. 90nm, why not both 90nm or both 130nm. Presscott vs. Winnie or Northwood vs. Claw Hammer. Not like what most folks do when they say AMD is cheaper and compare old to the newer or newest! If I'm not about to buy an old P4, I damned sure don't want to buy an old Athlon, of any kind.

$199 - Athlon 64 3200+ 512K 90nm Rev E
$155 - Athlon 64 3200
$180 - Athlon 64 3200 939pin
$180 - Athlon 64 3200 90nm 939pin
$149 - Athlon 64 3000+ 512K 90nm Rev E
$120 - Athlon 64 3000
$135 - Athlon 64 3000 939pin
$135 - Athlon 64 3000 90nm 939pin

$195 - Pentium 4 3.2GHz Prescott
$195 - Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800MHz
$163 - Pentium 4 3.0GHz Prescott
$166 - Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800MHz 775
$162 - Pentium 4 3.0GHz 800MHz

After all of that's been said, I'm looking at a Venice that said to ship May 6th. I already have an Intel rig and would like to have one of each. Venice at Monarch on may the 6th. Intel's 600 series 3GHz is $232 at Newegg.com today.

AMD is chargin' for every little improvement :( So much for them being the one who cares about the customers and more importantly, their Fans LOL!

Donnie27
 
To the above guy, on paper there was supposed to be no price increase. This is a VENDOR markup.
 
I'm generally an AMD guy. I love this rig for gaming, but it fucking sucks for what I do 90% of the time(Transcode DVDs). Sure its fast at it, but I can't really use my system when encoding four DVDs at the same time.

If AMD dual core weren't on the horizon, and I weren't a bit strapped for cash, I'de be back on Intel.

To be honest, these days I recommend three setups: P4 for gaming/other use. Mac for non-gaming. AMD for exclusive gaming.
 
I don't believe anyone would be able to tell the difference between a 3200+ and a 540 in a blind test without parameter monitoring (fraps etc), regardless of task, gaming, encoding, multitasking or whatever... the AMD vs Intel discussion is of academic interest.
 
In a blind test they would remark that the 540J system felt faster.
 
It's easy, P4 if your not a hardcore gamer. I've never noticed any noticeable slowdowns through any windows apps with my 3200+ however. But for price/gaming performance I'd get with a 939 3200+ with a nice motherboard.
 
Notice the word "slightly" as in $30 is slightly. Not as in $100 is slightly, but rather $30 is slightly. From my train of thought $30 is enough for a decent boost in another part of the system.....
 
yea, the price difference in all the components( ddr2, vs ddr...mobo etc..) makes the amd better for gaming for a little less, and with that less you can upgrade the ram or something to improve the overall system performance(ram..)
 
That is a very good statement. Go with AMD. I went to AMD and haven't looked back; plan to upgrade 939 next week with a nice SFF as a matter of fact.
 
im impartial to the whole amd vs intel thing so i say this with no flame wanted...the 630 will be the best overall cpu...period, and if you can get an oc of at least 600mhz you will have gaming performance that even an oced 3200 cant hit :)
 
One thing to consider. is the future. If you might want to go Dual core later on. Then get the amd system now, cause you will be able to drop the dual core into it, If you want to get a dual core p4, then you will need a new mobo for it if you get a 925 system. The 939s are a lot more future proof
 
Well i got a P4 640 3.2Ghz and i gotta say i was blown away by how great it perform, never had a AMD system hope to get one soon.
 
Neither AMD nor Intel are charity organisations, so trust them to come up with new tech in the near future that makes present-day "future-proofing" worthless. Get a system you can live with and don't plan to far ahead.
 
Ya know, I looked at the whole future proofing thing when I bought my S939 A64. Now I've come to realize that I was just dumb. Screw future proofing. It's just a damn motherboard.
 
Building future proof computer is BS, it is just a waste of money, i would rather have one that perform awesome now and for the next year.
 
blah blah blah...bitch bitch bitch

Anyways, I see youve got it, but I would chime in and say 3200+, but I'm biased!
 
fuelvolts said:
blah blah blah...bitch bitch bitch

Anyways, I see youve got it, but I would chime in and say 3200+, but I'm biased!

First of all the reason why i didn't go with the 3200+ and went with the 640 because first all my rig is build for work, video editing, photo editing and encoding and some time games. and what can i say i'm a intel person.
 
delusion_2005 said:
my rig is build for work, video editing, photo editing and encoding and some time games.

Then you made exactly the right decision.
 
zeebs said:
To the above guy, on paper there was supposed to be no price increase. This is a VENDOR markup.

The prices increase was added from the factory before markup. Then VARs will do the same. Either way, the end result sucks.

Donnie27
 
jon67 said:
Neither AMD nor Intel are charity organisations, so trust them to come up with new tech in the near future that makes present-day "future-proofing" worthless. Get a system you can live with and don't plan to far ahead.

I vote your post, #33 and #34, the best posts I've read in a month. AMD and Intel, plus every damned body else sees it as "Future-Profit-Proofing".

I think Intel is lying out the WaZoo when they said Dual Core wouldn't work on current boards. The Inquirer is already posting that mobo makers are running Dual core not only on i925/15, I'm hearing folks say they work on FMB 1.5 mobos with i875/Sc775. It's said that that's why Intel will move to 771 and AMD will move to Sc-M.

Prescott Sc478 was supposed to be not compat with i875/865, folks are running them even old IC7-G like I have LOL! Intel lied and said i875 was not compat with 400MHz FSB processors. I had a 2GHz Northwood and even tried a 1.7GHz Willy on my IC7-G as well, both worked without a problem. With all of that said, if I were building Intel, I'd wait for i955.

The whole AMD is Cheaper is folks being biased or uninformed. There are many i875 and i865 with Sc-775 and DDR1, these come with choices of AGP or PCI-E.

Donnie27
 
Back
Top