61" DLP - $1800 - no rebate

holy crap that's a good price.. that's prolly the best set you can get price for performance/quality...wow.. might be time to get more in debt.. lol. I was going to get the 56" inch 1080p sammy, but shit.. this is the same price as it now. :)

killa deal
i think sams has a 60" for the same price, but it aint no 1080p!

Yes, this a very good price. Too bad they don't have the 6188 listed; I'd be curious to see what its price would be if the 6187 is $1800.

jaguax said:
How risky is it getting things like this shipped? I'd imagine one drop and you're screwed?
On AVSForum.com, several Samsung HLS TV owners have bought their TV via Amazon.com. For the most part, they said it worked like a charm. If there was a problem, since Amazon (and I assume Outpost) is an authorized reseller, Samsung shouldn't give any problems fixing or replacing the TV. (It would probably be charged against the shipping company, although I don't know how those details would be handled.)

Is this deal as amazing as it looks? Is glare as bad on these as it is on my 10 year old hitachi projection bigscreen?

What is better for gaming, projections like this or LCDs? I know LCD's ghost depending on response time, but what about projection screens? I hear it has a "gaming mode" that lowers overall picture quality to provide best gaming performance, so I'm guessing that it might be similar to an LCD in that it ghosts?

Devnull said:
Is this deal as amazing as it looks? Is glare as bad on these as it is on my 10 year old hitachi projection bigscreen?

No, and the viewing angels are very good.

oh snap, i just realized it the other day
sams sells this with the stand for $2100 (+ tax)

Is this deal good at the B&M too? If it is, don't forget that CC has their 125% price match on TVs. Currently they have this model advertised for $2340.

So $2340 - $1797 = $553.

125% of $553 = $691.25

$2340 - $691.25 = $1648.75

I haven't confirmed this, but thought I'd toss it out there.

jaguax said:
What is better for gaming, projections like this or LCDs? I know LCD's ghost depending on response time, but what about projection screens? I hear it has a "gaming mode" that lowers overall picture quality to provide best gaming performance, so I'm guessing that it might be similar to an LCD in that it ghosts?

DLP > LCD for gaming.

No burn in.

The entire samgsung dlp projection series is absolutely stellar for gaming.

tHeEvILTwIN said:
Is this deal good at the B&M too? If it is, don't forget that CC has their 125% price match on TVs. Currently they have this model advertised for $2340.

So $2340 - $1797 = $553.

125% of $553 = $691.25

$2340 - $691.25 = $1648.75

I haven't confirmed this, but thought I'd toss it out there.

Nah, least our Circuit City doesn't do internet pricematching, and there isn't a Frys within like 70 miles from here.

Best Buy won't price match internet prices. I called Frys yesterday and they won't even price match their internet price in the store.

I asked them about the internet price and they said it's a great deal but you can't get an extended warranty if you buy it online.

If you go in the store and buy it, right now it's $1999 and the 5yr. extended warranty is $279.

Now Circuit City said they will price match the instore price of $1999 plus take an additional 25% off whatever the difference is in CC's price and Frys price. But CC's extended warranty is like $379.

I'm getting this TV, but I think I may hold on a little longer and see how much more it will drop.

I got best buy to do the same price delivered yesterday. I guess it depends on who you talk to to see if they even want to help you out.

It's going to be a huge diff in size from my 47" when it gets delivered tomorrow. I hope it's not overwhelming playing the 360 on it.

Im going to head to CC, and BB today to see if they will price match it. anyone own this tv? how do you like it? also - anyone buy a stand that fits it if so how much was it and if possible post links

thanks!

Nitron said:
DLP > LCD for gaming.

No burn in.

The entire samgsung dlp projection series is absolutely stellar for gaming.

you're thinking plasma. LCD's don't burn in in the traditional sense

Firefighter said:
Best Buy won't price match internet prices. I called Frys yesterday and they won't even price match their internet price in the store.

I asked them about the internet price and they said it's a great deal but you can't get an extended warranty if you buy it online.

And why exactly is that bad? It comes with 1 year. Your credit card will double it.

If the set is working 2 years from now, it's going to work 5 years from now.

I apologize to all the salesmen out there who rely these warranties to take home an extra $50.00 to $100.00 per sale.

Extended warranties are a rip off (unless you're the store, the insurance company or the salesman). The only exception to that is on DAPs and even then it's only worth it if it's a replacement plan.

Holy cow the tv is BIG. Luckily I turned everything around in the room to make use of it length wise. Put the tv in front of the fireplace that I never use. The room looks a lot larger now and if I want to see a fire I have 2hrs of it recorded on my dvr lol.

I must say at first the picture looked horrible. FOund out the installer crossed the wires and when I fixed that I was blown away.

The clarity out of the box was something to behold...I could see the pores on a guys face on one show lol
It is pushing a tad too much blue and I need to tone that down otherwise I love it and thank the OP for giving me a spot to get a local price match.

nilepez said:

Extended warranties are a rip off (unless you're the store, the insurance company or the salesman). The only exception to that is on DAPs and even then it's only worth it if it's a replacement plan.

I would disagree 100% on these microdisplays. There are lots of moving parts and DLPs still aren't tried and true technology.

There are lots of out-of-warranty light engine failures on the DLPs. Heck, some people are taking their sets apart to avoid $1200-1500 repairs and finding failed mirrors that were taped in place...

nilepez said:
And why exactly is that bad? It comes with 1 year. Your credit card will double it.

I apologize to all the salesmen out there who rely these warranties to take home an extra $50.00 to $100.00 per sale.

You sir are full of shit.

Case in point;
Two years ago I bought a Sony 34” XBR960, the best CRT HDTV on the market at CC with the extended 5-year in-home warranty ($2,100 for the TV and $250 for the 5-year extended In-Home warranty).

1 ½ years after I had the set, it went bad and I called up CC to come to my house and repair it.
Imagine having to ship off/take to the repair shop a TV that weights 200 lbs?
No thx I’ll pay the extra bucks for the In-Home.

And now for the real kicker; they could not repair the TV and gave me a FULL in-store credit for the purchase price of the TV 1 ½ years after I bought it.
It even gets better; since Sony didn’t make a comparable TV to my XBR960 anymore CC gave me an even swap for 50” Samsung HL-S5087W.
I got a $2,800 TV for the price of a $2,100 TV a year and a half after I bought it, all because I bought the extended warranty.
They prorated what was left on my old warranty and I bought a new 4-year In-Home warranty, granted the new one was very expensive at $500 but it covers the cost of the replacement bulbs for the life of the warranty which cost 200-300 bucks a pop.
So tell me again how I got ripped off?

To say any new tech like this will be working 2 years will also be working 5 years from now is plain ludicrous to say.
Anyone buying a new set like this without buying an extended warranty is just crazy.

BTW my set is just like this set except in the 50” form.
The set has an amazing picture for all digital sources especially HD.
However, SD material leaves something to be desired, but this is the norm for all HDTV’s.
All inputs except 480i/p 720p 1080i/p, with the PC connection excepting a few other standard PC resolutions.

JRT said:
You sir are full of shit.

JRT, I sold these things. They're a rip off. The warranty is almost all profit.

Case in point;
Two years ago I bought a Sony 34” XBR960, the best CRT HDTV on the market at CC with the extended 5-year in-home warranty ($2,100 for the TV and $250 for the 5-year extended In-Home warranty).

So what? You had a bad unit. What percentage do you think breaks down between years 2 and 5 (warranty covers the labor for 2 years, so only the trip to your house is out of AGI's pocket and nothing is out of CC's pocket, who marked the insurance up 70% over what AGI charged)? Let's say it's 3%. That's nothing. They take in 25 grand for 100 plans and have to pay out on 3. Even if it was 10% (a high number) , they'd still make a little money.

Imagine having to ship off/take to the repair shop a TV that weights 200 lbs?
No thx I’ll pay the extra bucks for the In-Home.

TV repairmen come to your house, if you pay the extra bucks for a house call.

And now for the real kicker; they could not repair the TV and gave me a FULL in-store credit for the purchase price of the TV 1 ½ years after I bought it.

Grats, it paid off. Some people win in Vegas too, most are lucky to break even, and if they play long enough, they all eventually lose.

brentsg said:
I would disagree 100% on these microdisplays. There are lots of moving parts and DLPs still aren't tried and true technology.

There are lots of out-of-warranty light engine failures on the DLPs. Heck, some people are taking their sets apart to avoid $1200-1500 repairs and finding failed mirrors that were taped in place...

It's insurance. And it's highly profitable insurance. The profit margin on Extended warranties is roughly 70%. And keep in mind that Best Buy and Circuit city are just reselling insurance. I believe Circuit City uses AGI, I'm not sure who best buy uses. They take on no risk at all. They just mark up the insurance to whatever they can get. So, before the 70% markup the warranty is already profitable to the insurer

You can believe what you want, but I can promise you that I LOVED selling warranties. I got cash in my pocket that day and I got more on my check.

I've bought a few warranties, and the only one that paid off was on a DAP, and that's only because I dropped it. If I'd never bought one, I'd be up several hundred dollars.

I can't comment on the reliability of these particular TVs or DLP in general, as I've never seen an article discussing the failure rate (and when those failures occur).

Personally, I'd avoid the sets if they're that unreliable. But then I still prefer both front and rear CRT projectors to LCD, LCOS, DLP and Plasma (though Iseen some Fujitsu plasmas that I liked).

JRT said:
Anyone buying a new set like this without buying an extended warranty is just crazy.

you are welcome to your opinion but i disagree. these types of warranties imo are for suckers. think about it this way: by purchasing an extended warranty you are betting that the equipment is going to fail. however the odds are much much more in favor of the equipment not failing. even if it does fail it will usually do so within the manufacturers warranty period. and even if it fails outside of that period, the money you spend on the repair would be close to the amount you paid for the extended warranty. also most retailer warranties do not cover bulb replacement and that is the one piece of hardware that will most certainly fail. gee i wonder why they dont cover the bulbs? think about that.

you are welcome to your opinion but i disagree. these types of warranties imo are for suckers. think about it this way: by purchasing an extended warranty you are betting that the equipment is going to fail. however the odds are much much more in favor of the equipment not failing. even if it does fail it will usually do so within the manufacturers warranty period. and even if it fails outside of that period, the money you spend on the repair would be close to the amount you paid for the extended warranty. also most retailer warranties do not cover bulb replacement and that is the one piece of hardware that will most certainly fail. gee i wonder why they dont cover the bulbs? think about that.

I agree. Many years ago, I was a sucker and bought a 5-year extended warranty for a JVC CD shelf system stereo I bought while in college. The CD player part (6-CD changer) got stuck 3 times in the first 1 year. I had a local authorized shop fix it the first 2 times (at no cost since I had the manufacturer's 1-yr. warranty). Then after it broke the 2nd time, I went to JVC themselves in north NJ (I lived in that state at the time), and dropped off my stereo. I then picked it up a few weeks later and the stereo has been working fine ever since ... for well beyond the 5 years the extended warranty covered. I still use this stereo today as a poor man's home theater system with my small TV. (A full-blown HTS will come later this year.) Now my JVC system will probably die tonight, with my luck, LOL.

I have this exact TV, and absolutely LOVE it. After reading AVSForum for about 9 months, checking out TVs at stores as well as other local AVSForum members houses, and keeping up with the new (at the time) 2006 models, I watched the price on the HL-S Sammy DLPs sink more and more by the month. A few months ago it there finally came to the point where they were nearly the same price as the previous year HL-R models. For those wondering if this set will drop by a significant amount more over the next 3-4 months, I'd say at most maybe another $200 tops (basing that by the way last year's models worked), and around May is when Sammy will have its 2007 DLPs out.

I upgraded from a 4 year old Panny CRT RPTV, and these DLP sets these days are amazing. I got it in November for $2199 total shipped everything via OneCall, who I would absolutely recommend. You need to go to their site and add the items to the cart to see their true prices. They use FedEx freight, which was fast (only 4 days from WA to CA), and there wasnt a ding on the entire box, and neither of the "jolt activators" were set off. I was curious about those activators, so I flicked my finger against the activator not too hard to see if it would go off, and sure enough, the little bubble filled with red ink. So I definitely know the TV shipped very safely.

The set out of box factory settings arent the best, but it definitely gets significantly better even after only basic adjustments, and looks great after using a DVD type calibration. The set does accept "true" 1080p over ALL inputs (unlike quite a few DLP's still out there). I run my HTPC to it at 1080p via HDMI, and its literally as razer sharp as a good desktop LCD monitor. I've been playing some PC games on it @ 1600x900 (some games I can get away with 1920x1080 on my hardware), truely awesome and immersive experience. To top it off, standard definition wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. For those that are looking for a great DLP, Samsung is the way to go, with the new Mitsubishi's close as well, but quite a price difference.

P.S. Forgot to add, if you search around AVSForum, one of their sponsors is a great little company called TapeWorksTexas who resells for a very large, long time repair company. Many forum members can speak up for their great service by the company AND the techs when needed, and their prices are rock bottom. I got an additional 3 year full in home coverage WITH up to 2 bulb replacements for just a tick over $200! Will nearly pay for itself after only 1 bulb replacement.

P.S. Forgot to add, if you search around AVSForum, one of their sponsors is a great little company called TapeWorksTexas who resells for a very large, long time repair company. Many forum members can speak up for their great service by the company AND the techs when needed, and their prices are rock bottom. I got an additional 3 year full in home coverage WITH up to 2 bulb replacements for just a tick over $200! Will nearly pay for itself after only 1 bulb replacement.

You'll need to replace the bulb within 3 years?

Back