60U folding machine

MrValentine

[H]ard|Gawd
So i'm trying to figure out how much folding power could be crammed into a 60U cabinet. Has anyone ever seen a 1U case that allows for 2 micro atx mobo's?

I'm bored so i'm working on my dream folding machine.

there is a 1u case that fits 2 ITX boards, but that wound't be very powerful.

You would proably be looking at dual g5 x-serves (don't macs like folding?) or (not sure if they make em) dual xeon/operon boxes. quad maybe?

Okay: (from apple)

276ghz of power (oh the g5 goodness)
$180k for just the systems (plus cable and power and stuff)

dell's site is being anal right now, but you are lookin at about the same price, but 462ghz of Xeon power...

My thoughts started with a lotto winning dream (as a lot of mine do). But I have decided that even for a lotto winner 120 machines for folding is just to much.

120 $200 processors = $24k
120 $100 mobo's = $12k
120 $100 sticks ram = $12k
60 $120 1U cases = $7.2k (guess on price)
60U rack = $1.3k

I figured that is the minimum you need to get something going, and your already at $56k+. Even if I did win the lotto thats just crazy bank to spend, although it would be sweet to set up and earn major nerd points.

BTW the reason I went with single proc mb is because i'm not sure how to config a network boot setup so it assigns affinity to processes. If that would be possible the hardware setup could be simplified with dual proc mobos.

wonder if I could get $100k grant for something like this?

MrValentine said:
My thoughts started with a lotto winning dream (as a lot of mine do). But I have decided that even for a lotto winner 120 machines for folding is just to much.

120 $200 processors = $24k
120 $100 mobo's = $12k
120 $100 sticks ram = $12k
60 $120 1U cases = $7.2k (guess on price)
60U rack = $1.3k

I figured that is the minimum you need to get something going, and your already at $56k+. Even if I did win the lotto thats just crazy bank to spend, although it would be sweet to set up and earn major nerd points.

BTW the reason I went with single proc mb is because i'm not sure how to config a network boot setup so it assigns affinity to processes. If that would be possible the hardware setup could be simplified with dual proc mobos.

wonder if I could get $100k grant for something like this?

if you are spending THAT much just ask one of us to write the config files and stuff....

that is when this happens (we'd be sure to beat ocau then)

Someone should blackmail Bill Gates and force him to spend billions of dollars on b0xen...
We would get so far ahead in one week that if we stopped folding completely it'd take years for OCAU to catch up lol.

Blade servers are pretty expensive, and i'm not sure how well they would hold up at 100% 24/7. I'm sure they do great as webservers, but just like laptops I bet their lifespan is shortend by folding.

I did find the case I was looking for, but its $860.
http://www.baber.com/cases/rackmount_115.htm
It sure would be sweet to build a big honking folding machine with that. Imagine 240 SledgeHammers in a 60U rack.....mmmmmmmm. Now i'm dreaming of the watercooling system needed for it!!!!

Back