60hz to 144hz more incrediable than G-Sync?

JHefile

Necrophilia Makes Me [H]ard
Hi

Is there any truth to the statement if someone has a 144hz monitor already then gets g-sync that person will be less awestruck than the person who has a 60hz monitor and upgrades to 144hz and g-sync at the same time?

Yeah, to put it into car sense, 60hz to 144hz G-sync will be like going from a Audi A6 to an R8, basically spectacular.. And, if you already have, say an Audi RS7, and you go to an R8, you have close to the same power, but being lightweight will be a kick in the pants. Basically, it'll still be awesome, but a slight edge to make it that much better, you might be even "awestruck". ;)

Ultimately, it all depends on how easy you get excited by the technology.

I personally wasn't awestruck from 60Hz -> 144Hz Gsync. Smoother sure but the motion blur was still there.

What did wow me was 120Hz ULMB. First time I've ever seen an LCD with that kind of motion clarity. Mind you, it still blurred more than a CRT, but still very impressive.

Thanks for the thoughts so far

I am trying to decide whether I should get that popular asus VG248QE 144hz 1ms response. It's on sale at newegg.

Currently I use a Acer 5ms response and 75hz. It's odd its 75 but that's the specs.

Since I can't see myself paying 600$ for a gsync I am trying to find out of this asus would be noticeably better.

I have the VG248QE before the Swift. I wanted the Swift mostly because I needed a new monitor with more resolution for work. Obviously I game too, so the Swift got on my radar. I would say that the only thing that popped out at me about the swift is how much better the colors are. That's about it. I think I'm fps gaming worse on it due to the fact that it's more taxing on my graphics card. And at least for fps, I'd rather use ulmb. But on games like Tomb Raider, the Swift on G-Sync with better colors is amazing. If all that you play is fps and you care about your k/d ratio, I think that the Swift isn't really worth $800. But if you need the resolution and like better colors to go with your games, right now aside from the panel lottery of the EIZO FORIS FG2421, there's nothing better than the Swift.

Having Swiftech stuff, the Swift monitor, and Taylor Swift posters plastered all over my room makes me a Swiftie. Just kidding, cause I also have all of Taylor Swift's albums on vinyl.

P. S. the colors of the VG248QE with lightboost turned on is horrible. You may want the BenQ mouton blur reduction model instead if you're going the 1080p route.

Last edited:
i'll know this week sometime since i am stair-stepping my way through this. i received my ROG Swift last week and have been using it with my 290X. i have a GTX 970 being delivered to me today or tomorrow.

ASUS PB278Q (60hz PLS) to ROG Swift (120hz TN): i am surprisingly floored by 120hz. i have not been able to try 144hz as 120hz is the max refresh rate that properly functions on my 290X. but playing BF4 and COD:BLOPS2 at 120 hz is just fantastic.
R9 290X (non g-sync) to GTX 970 (g-sync): TBD

i think going from a PLS to a TN adds to the perceived fluidity a bit due to the faster pixel response. i expect to love g-sync since i've always loved vsync but hated the input lag. anxious to try it out.

After reading I might just go with this monitor for pure k/d ratio on FPS.

One worry I have what connection do I need to use for the 144hz to work? Need a special cable?

After reading I might just go with this monitor for pure k/d ratio on FPS.

One worry I have what connection do I need to use for the 144hz to work? Need a special cable?

Yes, it requires DVI-I (and/or I think displayport). The monitor you buy should come with the proper cables to support it.

The VG248QE uses LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects included PWM artifacts/blur and some people suffer from headaches and/or eyestrain) while the AOC (G-Sync) and BenQ's do not, and the only reason to buy the VG248QE for the nearly-blur-free Lightboost mode, but it has abysmal colours and contrast (<400:1). The BenQ's with Blur Reduction offer a similar, nearly blur free experience, but better colours, contrast and no PWM.

The VG248QE is essentially the class clown of 120hz+ monitors now since it is one of the only ones to use LED PWM Dimming (the Acer 24" also does) and has horrible Lightboost colours and contrast. There are misconceptions about the colours being fixable as well. Only an ICC profile can help fix the 144hz modes low default gamma (=washed out colours) and help correct the Lightboost modes low gamma and very high, blue tint inducing colour temperature, but the ICC profiles are created for other peoples monitors which require slightly different corrections.

The AOC seems like the best option since it is has good 144hz/G-Sync colour presets unlike the Asus and BenQ (BenQ still sets their monitors to the horrible FPS mode even though the Standard preset is much better), decent ULMB colours and the highest sRGB colour space coverage (most accurate and vibrant colours).

https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pg/

Last edited:
120hz with lightboost is the trick going up to 144hz and losing lightboost is worse than 120hz with light boost. I will not play or buy anything less than 120hz lightboost so long as I have the option.

if you're like me and

1. you don't care about pwm
2. you don't care about strobing/lightboost

then it's just as good as the xl2411z. at that price it's a steal.

otherwise get the xl2411z

also does anyone with pwm-sensitivity not get affected by strobing/lightboost/blur reduction?

The VG248QE uses LED PWM Dimming (Side Effects included PWM artifacts/blur and some people suffer from headaches and/or eyestrain) while the AOC (G-Sync) and BenQ's do not, and the only reason to buy the VG248QE for the nearly-blur-free Lightboost mode, but it has abysmal colours and contrast (<400:1). The BenQ's with Blur Reduction offer a similar, nearly blur free experience, but better colours, contrast and no PWM.

The VG248QE is essentially the class clown of 120hz+ monitors now since it is one of the only ones to use LED PWM Dimming (the Acer 24" also does) and has horrible Lightboost colours and contrast. There are misconceptions about the colours being fixable as well. Only an ICC profile can help fix the 144hz modes low default gamma (=washed out colours) and help correct the Lightboost modes low gamma and very high, blue tint inducing colour temperature, but the ICC profiles are created for other peoples monitors which require slightly different corrections.

The AOC seems like the best option since it is has good 144hz/G-Sync colour presets unlike the Asus and BenQ (BenQ still sets their monitors to the horrible FPS mode even though the Standard preset is much better), decent ULMB colours and the highest sRGB colour space coverage (most accurate and vibrant colours).

Hey OP, from my experience of that VG248QE, I would second NCX's recommendations here.

I just checked Newegg to see about this deal you're talking about. It's been at that pricing for a while. And I would definitely say that The AOC may $30 more, but over that lifespan of the money, it's not a huge difference, and your eyes will thank us.

On a side note, anyone noticed that the EIZO FG2421 is in stock at Newegg again? Who wants to join the panel lottery?!?

I'm not even sure AOC G2460PG is in the US at this time.

Last edited:
I went from a 27" 1080p IPS panel to RoG Swift, mainly due to the fact that there is no other G-sync monitors available in Taiwan except for Asus RoG Swift, so not much choice in the matter. I also limited myself to not getting 27" 1080p's because I feel the screen is on the verge of me being able to see the individual pixels.

I haven't tried G-sync yet, my monitor only arrived last night and I had been only trying high fps games (CS:GO, L4D2 and D3:RoS); but I am very happy with the fluidity of the games. I felt it there was a big difference. I will test out more stressing games later on.

Edit: about colors, I can see reasons for people wanting for darker blacks, it does look better in movies, but a slightly 'lighter' black has its advantages, and I much prefer it for gaming (if immersion means I cannot see my target, then I think it kills immersion worse than 'light' black :p). The default setting for colors (I had it set to the default user color) actually felt pretty close to my IPS panel, so yes, I am pleased with the colors.

Depends on how stable your FPS is in the games you frequently play. If you can run all your games at, or close to, 144hz, then you will not notice much of a difference if any at all with gsync enabled. But if your fps swings pretty wide, and you notice screen tearing, gsync will completely fix that.

I'm not sure i even want g-sync now because the cost is inflated. What I want is fast response with reasonably good picture.

I have a 21.5 in screen now and want preferably a 27in but will settle for 24in

I get 200fps in Blackops 2 and Advanced Warfare thet capped it at 91fps but I drop into the 60's sometimes.

144Hz is pretty nice, and so is G-Sync. Certainly a big step up from 60Hz blur-fest.

If you are playing a game with great performance (over 144fps minimum) then G-Sync won't help you. However if you are getting good performance around 100fps give or take, then G-Sync works wonders. If you are already struggling to hit 60fps not sure G-Sync can save you from that, though it may be a marginal improvement (in terms of elimination of tearing).

I have the Swift, but I bought it mainly for 3D (and you can't use G-Sync w/ 3D at the same time) and it's still a great monitor even without G-Sync.

What's it like to play on a monitor that goes to 144hz, if the game only goes to 90 - is it annoying, worse than 60hz monitor?

Good God! What is up with that disgusting green!??

Also, yay another monitor not sold in the US. What are we?? 80s east Europe??

At least you are getting a choice besides Swift right?

In Taiwan (the place where Acer, BenQ, Asus and AOC is originated), we don't even get a choice. The only G-Sync monitor available here short of importing it from elsewhere is Asus RoG Swift...

Even though I don't trust DigitalVersus the fact that they reviewed it with a 700:1 contrast ratio leaves me puzzled. That's a big difference with pcmonitors.info...

I went from a 60Hz IPS to the SWIFT and was definitely awestruck when I used 144Hz G-Sync. Then I tried 120Hz ULMB and was awestruck again. ULMB >>> G-Sync for me, the motion definition makes textures look so much crisper and the ability to see clearly while moving quickly is a nice change for my eyes after the blurry mess that was 60Hz IPS, and even 144Hz TN. I can't stress how huge ULMB is for my enjoyment of gaming.

very low sRGB colour space coverage

the important things here are the chromaticities of the primaries themselves. a single number indicating srgb coverage % is only useful for characterizing very undersaturated displays e.g. ipad mini 3: http://www.displaymate.com/Colors_24.html. for displays like these 24in 144hz ones, the chromaticities are already somewhat close and so there is probably of chunk of the srgb space that isn't covered, as well as a chunk in the display's gamut that extends beyond srgb. the best way to access gamut in this case is to just measure the dEs for each primary color but even then i think the numbers will look worse than it actually is

It's getting too complex for me in here.

I see most who have the Phillips likes it. It's not so popular as the Asus but I would think just as good. I mean if I have been using this 5ms Acer for 3 years I can't see why I wouldn't like it.

you'd probably like it just as much but it isn't as technically good

It's getting too complex for me in here.

I see most who have the Phillips likes it. It's not so popular as the Asus but I would think just as good. I mean if I have been using this 5ms Acer for 3 years I can't see why I wouldn't like it.

The reason the Asus is so popular is sure because it's G-Sync but I think mostly because it's 27" 1440p with low response.

I bought Swift because partly it's a 1440p 144hz monitor, it was either a 24" 1080p or 27" 1440p for me, but more G-sync monitors came out in 27" 1080p, which I was not interested in. The price of the BenQ XL2420G put me off it completely, it was about $150 diff for 77% less pixels and lower PPI, couldn't find any decent reviews about the monitor, so I went with Swift.

Then I found I didn't have much of a choice in the matter either, the only G-Sync monitor available in Taiwan is Swift (ironic, given that Acer, BenQ and AOC are all Taiwanese companies).

The reason the Asus is so popular is sure because it's G-Sync but I think mostly because it's 27" 1440p with low response.

I know this thread is all over the place but to recap I can't afford gsync so I was talking about the $219 at Newegg deal/

The ASUS is no longer on sale =( I would pick up the ASUS but worried about the PWM and NAUSEA people report so was thinking about XL2420Z but worried about overall brightness of that making it unusable.

The waiting game is best but hell not getting any younger so maybe in two years I can get at hat 1440P 24" 144hz IPS monitor down the road =)

Back