60Gb OCZ Summit (128Mb cache) SSD $165 shipped after $30 MIR @ ZZF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
Drive's got good reviews and is overall $60 cheaper than the egg. In for 1...

LINK

BTW, this doesn't include the whopping $4.87 from cashback! :eek:

Meh. I'd rather get the X25-M for $229 up front and have a faster drive, more space, and no rebates to worry about. I'm still waiting for the rebate on my 16GB OCZ Diesel thumb drive, and I bought it months ago.

Not crapping, but the recent price drop does make the Intel drives (even first gen) look very attractive!

Last edited:
Meh. I'd rather get the X25-M for $229 up front and have a faster drive, more space, and no rebates to worry about. I'm still waiting for the rebate on my 16GB OCZ Diesel thumb drive, and I bought it months ago.

Not crapping, but the recent price drop does make the Intel drives (even first gen) look very attractive!

I think you did the rebate wrong, got my rebate for the exact same thumb drive 1 month after I sent it in.

I just heard the 1st gen drives can't be flashed to work with TRIM so that's why I wanted to go with OCZ. Plus I've bought a ton of stuff from OCZ over the years and have never had a problem with the rebates. Both drives have a 3 year warranty as well so I'll take the $65 savings...

Last edited:
trim's not that big a deal. i may be wrong, but i'm reasonably sure that trim lowers the life of a drive.

trim's not that big a deal. i may be wrong, but i'm reasonably sure that trim lowers the life of a drive.
You sir are reasonably wrong. :p Really quick:
1) When a file is deleted, the blocks of flash cells that contained the data are not deleted but marked as free by the drive controller.
2) When the time has come for those flash cells to be written to again (determined by the wear leveling algorithm) they need to be erased first. This is a time consuming operation since blocks of cells need to be erased not just the ones needed for the write operation. Even if it weren't entire blocks, an erase would still need to be performed before the write, which takes longer than a read anyway.
3) TRIM's job is to instruct the controller to erase the cells that are no longer needed ahead of time. When the controller elects cells to be written to, they won't need to be erased first before the write operation can begin since TRIM would have taken care of that previously.

So, in a nutshell all that is happening is a rescheduling of the erase operation. No extra wear. Wear leveling is still going to manage the cells as it normally does, and as a result, the drive should/will not lose performance over time like most current SSDs on the market.

I got a 1000GB Hitatchi 32mb cache HD for $70 at Amazon...I don't see how a puny 60gb hard drive for $165 is even remotely a good deal.

Wow...

Anyway. For someone like me who likes to reformat twice a month (for that new Windows feel), would SSDs be right for me, or would I be better off with a Velociraptor?

I got a 1000GB Hitatchi 32mb cache HD for $70 at Amazon...I don't see how a puny 60gb hard drive for $165 is even remotely a good deal. Oh and ZZF sucks...bad return policies and pss poor customer service...stick with the egg.

GOLD

I got a 1000GB Hitatchi 32mb cache HD for $70 at Amazon...I don't see how a puny 60gb hard drive for $165 is even remotely a good deal. Oh and ZZF sucks...bad return policies and pss poor customer service...stick with the egg.

I've been buying from ZZF for 5 years. Around 50 orders total over that time. I think one time they said they had shipped something that didn't actually ship for a day or two after that. That's the only problem. I've sent back a couple of items no problem.

NewEgg and ZZF are the places I tend to order from and both have been great over the years. I'll typically go with whoever has the lower price.

Wow...

Anyway. For someone like me who likes to reformat twice a month (for that new Windows feel), would SSDs be right for me, or would I be better off with a Velociraptor?

Dude, that guy's been here for like 3 months, that means he knows everything!! Uh .. like the difference between an SSD and a standard mechanical hard drive ... HAHA noobs!

SSD.

they'll still last for years and reinstalls take like 10 min. if you use slipstreamed drivers/nlite'd ISO's

vbrtrmn said:
Dude, that guy's been here for like 3 months, that means he knows everything!! Uh .. like the difference between an SSD and a standard mechanical hard drive ... HAHA noobs!

Old people don't know jack either. At my last job someone had the gumption to say that solid state drives will never replace regular hard disks. He had been in the industry for a while too.

Frankly, I can honestly see SSDs matching standard hard disks in 5 years (price/storage) and surpassing them in 10.

And if not, one can hope! I remember a 'bigfoot' 9GB drive costing 3 grand. Now you can get 10x the amount on one drive for under $40. SSDs around 80 gigs were also around $600-$1000 just a year or two ago. Now they are down to about a quarter of the price for the same amount of storage (or less).

I just can't wait for the price/storage ratios to get where I can swap over to a completely silent, completely cool SSD file server. I mean, AFFORD to swap over to one.

All I want is a notebook computer with a 120gb SSD as the boot drive and a 1TB 2.5" instead of an optical.

lol. I don't think two wrongs can might a right but what about three wrongs? :D

ZZF rocks - probably over 100 orders and not one single problem. Fast shipping, no problems.

I got a 1000GB Hitatchi 32mb cache HD for $70 at Amazon...I don't see how a puny 60gb hard drive for $165 is even remotely a good deal...

Seriously! It's kinda like wasting your money building a modern $600-$1000 computer when you can just go on craigslist and buy a P4 machine for $150.

ZZF is the worst etailer there is. I have been burned numerous times. Never again.

I have used both zff and egg - egg ships faster but both are great - You can have an ssd boot and big sata platter in a notebook - I do that in my dv7 HP my boot drive is ssd my data is 500GB drive.

does anyone know what controller this drive uses?

I do love my vertex. I think you're going to be limited real fast on 60gb. I'm a 120gb and almost maxed. I know one can be frugal on the amount of programs installed. The question to be considered is are you ready for that type of discipline?

The speed is nice that's for sure.

Reported for taking a giant dump in the thread

you're an old fart arent ya? probably like huge gas guzzling cadillacs for your daily driver. some of us prefer smaller faster more efficient vehicles. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back