6000k HID case mod

IOmonkey

n00b
1.jpg

Hey all, I don't think I've ever posted a mod...let alone even done one, so here's my first attempt.

I had a Mustang a few years back and got a full HID kit for it, then sold the Mustang but couldn't sell the HID kit, so it's sat in my back room all this time. (03 GT convertible 5spd if you're interested - yes it was awesome, yes it drank gas like an elephant)

I decided to try and sell the kit again, but after looking at it realized that the connectors were pooched, and I just couldn't let them go for next to nothing (cost me $700 or so originally). My computer happened to be open for its first dusting in a while....and suddenly...click!

2.jpg

I took an old Sparkle PSU I had lying around and rigged up the first ballast to it, just to see if the PSU could take it. SPARKS!!!! I nearly fried the boys with 25kv sparks, luckily my hand was next to the off switch, so I'm ok. Fried that ballast I'm pretty sure. Hooked up the second one, and this time hooked up a light to it - it worked!! Draw of 120W on warm up, then a constant draw of 62W, or at least that's what my Kill-a-watt says.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Wasn't quite sure where to place it, but it looked really cool reflecting off the Copper Ninja I have, and through the fan grille at the back, and fan blades.

5.jpg

As you can see here, I am using the Corsair PSU that powers the rest of the system to power the HID kit (yay modular cables), but I chickened out and ended up plopping that Sparkle PSU I mentioned right under my video card, where the ballast is sitting right now. The wiring inside at the moment is gross, so I'll leave that for another day. The ballast lives where the floppy bay is, perfect fit! The cabling isn't soldered (I don't have a half-decent soldering iron), but it's done with bullet connectors that are properly crimped and taped. I'll solder and heat shrink the final version.

6.jpg

After a bit of work destroying the other projector housing to get the mounting bracket out, then bashing it into the right shape, I got it mounted. It fits just behind the 5.25" blank panels. Right now it's just zip tied down, but it was 2am and my landlord upstairs has twin babies...I'm sure the hammering on the concrete wasn't appreciated at 1am. (I'm moving into our first house in a month...and I'll have a garage! Oh...how I can't wait....)

7.jpg

Put a switch from my spare parts pile into the spot where the P182's fan controllers used to go, fit almost perfectly!! The tension on the cabling I introduced holds it snug. Unfortunately I had to clip the black and green wires on the PSU and route them into the switch...shame.

8.jpg

I must say...the pattern of the twin fan blades and fan grille is mesmerizing. The ballast noise goes away after 10-15 seconds as well, and heck, it just looks cool! Thankfully HID is cool as far as light output/heat ratios are concerned, so the CPU actually doesn't heat up that much. I am curious as to how long the bearings in the 120mm fan right in front of it will last though.

Well, thanks for reading! I enjoyed this mod immensely, I hope you do, too!

I still have the HID fog light kit to do something with.......dot dot dot.

edit - oh right, finished pic:

9.jpg

Cool lighting, but wouldn't you be able to get that effect by using cold cathodes with a lot less energy?

timme - No, I seriously doubt that. CCs don't have the directed output that projected HID does. I don't have my SD1000 - wife has that on a business trip - so I can't get video. It looks really cool in person.

Ozarkboy - Not expensive, as the parts were already there, cost me nothing to put together. Maybe I could have gotten $100 for the whole kit.

Devolve - I thought about that, but I'm not a huge fan of windows. Glowing buttons or indicators maybe....

It actually hasn't increased the temps as much as you'd think, and I don't leave it on all the time. CPU idle is same as it was before, around 46 (which is kinda high in my books, but even OCed to 2.8 it's stable as a rock).

At least it's installed in a comp.. Can't stand HIDs blinding me at night, especially those fkin' SUVs and monster trucks

Oh yeah, if you want some different HID bulbs to try out, I know where you can get some for *cheap*. They're of good quality too, I'm running them in my VW GTI. Go to 3bspecialties.com .. then go to OEM HID bulbs.. then select the size you need. They're $60 for a pair and they carry 4300K to 30000K. I've seen the 30000K and they're a brilliant purple color. It might look pretty neat in the computer. It almost looks like a super bright UV cathode.

Thanks for the heads-up w1retap. I'll keep that in mind if any bulbs die on me.

Interestingly enough, I've encountered no end of hate for this project. Some people have no imagination, or just don't like having fun!

I definitely wanted to do that with fog lights.. but you did it too :)

Nice job.. I was always worried about temps.

Yeah I have an HID kit on my VW Passat so if I ever sold the car, I might know waht to do with them :p

Weird idea. It would look cool if you powdercoated your entire case bright white :)

I really think this is a bit of overkill, this srtikes me as a "I did it because I could" kind of mod

had it been me I think I would have used a cluster of 3x 3W Cree Led's on a big old heatsink, a lot less power and therefore a lot less heat. I know you say you dont leave it on but its still an incandescent bulb and therefore is far from efficient

Back