$600 for a rebuild (CPU, mobo), video rendering + gaming rig, WWYG?

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
So I'm determined to upgrade from my current setup (in sig) and I keep second guessing myself.

I figured I would fish here for second opinions...

I've got a budget of around $600 (maybe slightly more) for a CPU and mobo upgrade.

My first instinct would be to go straight for a Coffee Lake (8700K) and a Z370 board and call it done, but then I keep remembering all of these stories of people building multi-threaded powerhouse rigs out of cheap secondhand server parts - Xeons and the like.

My rig is used for Youtube video production, gaming is secondary but still pretty important.

I've considered Ryzen because on the high end of mainstream I can get 8 cores versus 6 on Coffee Lake, but I believe Intel still has Ryzen beat on the IPC front and even with 2 less cores.

I want to try and keep using most of the components I have currently, so I'll be keeping my 2x16GB DDR4 - unless there's just a screaming advantage to backtracking to DDR3 with one of those powerhouse Xeon sleeper builds I keep reading on.

I know this post is sort of rambly, but.... thoughts?

Oh, I didn't see the build advice sticky. So here's the requested questionnaire :D

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
All of the above, with a definite lean towards video editing (Sony / MAGIX Vegas Pro)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$600, but I have most everything except CPU and motherboard

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

US, DFW, TX

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU and motherboard, I have all of the rest of the parts from the rig in my sig.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially
specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing: 2x16GB G'Skill DDR4 (3200, IIRC), Asus GTX 1080 Strix, 250GB EVO 960 NVME m.2, a couple of Seagate spinners, case (Tt Core V21, so mATX on the motherboard front), Tt Riing Floe 240 CLC/AIO cooler, and all the usual peripherals are already present and accounted for.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Absolutely. Like hell.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
50" 4K Samsung

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
RIGHT MEOW

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Crossfire or SLI support? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.
m.2 RAID (so 2x slots) if possible, SLI would be nice but not necessary. Priority to overclocking prowess.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Nope, but that's not an issue. $10 - $15 in the FS/T forum and I'm set.

Last edited:
.....aaaaand I couldn't wait. :D

Newegg had a combo deal on an 8700k with the Asrock Z370M Pro4 board for like $415 and change.

While the VRM cooling on that Asrock board seems a little wimpy, the board itself seems to be loved by many especially considering it's price.

That actually a really good deal. The VRMs could be more than fine with good case fans.

Back