6-core and 8-core Ryzen coming to mobile

TheRookie

Limp Gawd
According to information that I've seen, 6-core and 8-core Ryzen are coming to mobile.

6C/12T will be marketed as Ryzen 7 and 8C/16T will be marketed as Ryzen 9.

They will be available in both 15W (U-series) and 35W (H-series) variations.

Furthermore, AMD also plans to launch the Radeon RX 5700M (joining the Radeon RX 5300M and Radeon RX 5500M).

Oh? I'd be curious if such models would arrive as 12nm or 7nm? I would think such a jump would merit the lower power 7nm would offer

Oh? I'd be curious if such models would arrive as 12nm or 7nm? I would think such a jump would merit the lower power 7nm would offer

7nm

Showing the Core i9-9980HK losing is a shot across the bow.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Next gen is 7nm for apu and cpu. Current is 12nm, basically a generation behind. Hopefully 7nm euv fixes this.

According to information that I've seen

That's a solid citation!

I have no doubt they're coming, but there's very little reason to be optimistic about these. Perhaps they'll at least be competitive in terms of performance, but given AMDs current progress on 7nm, I don't expect battery life to be close.

The Core i9-9980HK spends most of the time throttling anyway.
Yeah sadly it's basically a dCPU with good sillicon. But it's still pretty impressive for 8 cores with a tiny thermal solution on 14nm.
The Alienware M1? seems to not throttle too bad though.

Hopefully 7nm will allow far less throttling for AMDs next generation early 2020...

That's a solid citation!

I have no doubt they're coming, but there's very little reason to be optimistic about these. Perhaps they'll at least be competitive in terms of performance, but given AMDs current progress on 7nm, I don't expect battery life to be close.

Not sure about that. When it comes to sipping power, Icelake is probably king. But Zen 2 is highly efficient at low clock speeds, and Icelake is stuck on 4 cores. So Zen 2 may be better than the 14nm Intel mobile chips in efficiency, and better in raw multithreaded performance than Icelake. I think there's potential that these will make excellent mobile chips.

Much will depend on how they are implemented, but mobile Zen chips have been lackluster thus far - and I think Zen 2 is an opportunity to change that.

Much will depend on how they are implemented, but mobile Zen chips have been lackluster thus far - and I think Zen 2 is an opportunity to change that.

Implementation is key. Intel has gone from two-core 15w CPUs now to six-core 15w CPUs with 14nm, running in the smallest chassis available for full-size CPUs.

AMD has yet to produce a competitive ultrabook CPU; what they have produced on TSMC 12nm has had half the battery life of the same chassis with an Intel CPU, which was also faster.

AMD has an opportunity, yes, but they also have tremendous ground to make up here.

And I'll repeat for myself: I want an ultrabook (well, 2 in 1) with a decent GPU, long battery life, and a 120Hz+ VRR display. Since Intel didn't implement VRR in Ice Lake / Sunny Cove, AMD actually has a chance to knock this one out of the park.

Implementation is key. Intel has gone from two-core 15w CPUs now to six-core 15w CPUs with 14nm, running in the smallest chassis available for full-size CPUs.

AMD has yet to produce a competitive ultrabook CPU; what they have produced on TSMC 12nm has had half the battery life of the same chassis with an Intel CPU, which was also faster.

AMD has an opportunity, yes, but they also have tremendous ground to make up here.

And I'll repeat for myself: I want an ultrabook (well, 2 in 1) with a decent GPU, long battery life, and a 120Hz+ VRR display. Since Intel didn't implement VRR in Ice Lake / Sunny Cove, AMD actually has a chance to knock this one out of the park.

Half? No, it's more like 10-20% behind in battery life - and that's vs 10nm - when properly implemented (see Intel vs amd in the surface), granted there are a few implementations that screwed up the battery life and I partially blame amd for that, but as some laptop manufacturers got it right it's not all on amd.

The ultrabook you want is on the manufacturers to make, amd already has the parts, and models like the matebook with 9 hour battery life and freesync (some models) display prove it can be done.

FWIW, my work pc is a 2019 macbook pro with the 8 core Intel. Battery life sucks, I'm lucky to get 5 hours out of it and to do so I have to actively manage it. Not impressed for a nearly $4k laptop.

Back