~6.5GHz Ivy...

I would be impressed if this was at 1.3V but 1.76V for a ~1.1V (or less) CPU is crazy.

Also not impressed with this.

There is nothing spectacular about an overclock that requires a liquified gas that you have to consistently replensish every few mins, sigh legal waivers to purchase, and potentially get frostbitten gangrenous limbs that need to be amputated just for an overclock that is utterly useless except in benchmarking.

Real enthusiast overclocking is all about AIr and Water and max clock speeds using regular sustainable methods of cooling.

But nice find OP. (My comments have nothing to do with your sharing that link)

Also there are no legal 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors for sale any where in the world. If someone is trying to sale you a 3rd generation Intel Core processor it is a fake or an ES with much higher chance of it being a fake. In the end I wouldn't risk buying one.

Not impressed at all, way to many volts for that, the most i will go on SB is 1.52v, noever going 1.7v lol

Also not impressed with this.

There is nothing spectacular about an overclock that requires a liquified gas that you have to consistently replensish every few mins, sigh legal waivers to purchase, and potentially get frostbitten gangrenous limbs that need to be amputated just for an overclock that is utterly useless except in benchmarking.

Real enthusiast overclocking is all about AIr and Water and max clock speeds using regular sustainable methods of cooling.

But nice find OP. (My comments have nothing to do with your sharing that link)

That's why the overclockers who actually get paid to overclock always use LN...Nope, its just for noobs, true overclockers only use Air/Water and increase a multiplier/FSB and volts. Bad ass.

I remember in the old days when people would use fridge motors, or drag an AC vent directly to their CPU. Some creative stuff.

Also, from the cpu-z info, it looks like he has the cpu disabled down to 1 core with ht on and then off. That's great if all you care about is superpi performance and nothing else, lol.

That's why the overclockers who actually get paid to overclock always use LN...Nope, its just for noobs, true overclockers only use Air/Water and increase a multiplier/FSB and volts. Bad ass.

Yeah for sure and your using LN2 daily as you go through gallons and gallons of Liquified Nitrogen Gas.

But yeah thats cool because all of the enthusiast on this site tend to also keep an ample supply of liquified -370f Nitrogen laying around in 55 gallon drums.

Umm.... there is nothing special about overclocking a chip to 6.x ghz when you have to disable all cores but one, cool it to ridiculous temps just to get that freq, and then over volt it to 1.7v. That is not even worthy of praise. And it's not really impressive enough to be called "Enthusiast" because I and many others who have admitted openly on this very thread that they are not 'Enthused" by this.

Also there are no legal 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors for sale any where in the world. If someone is trying to sale you a 3rd generation Intel Core processor it is a fake or an ES with much higher chance of it being a fake. In the end I wouldn't risk buying one.

Are there really fake intel CPU's? Wouldn't they be pretty obvious to spot? It seems like the only people in the world that can actually : manufacture one IS Intel.

Its good news if you take into consideration the rumors that the new 22nm IB cpus would not be able to over clock well because they would not operate at super cold temperatures. Problem referred to as a "cold bug".

Also its good news because another rumor about IB is that it wouldn't be able to handle extreme voltage.

So its looking like the 22nm size is turning out ok for over clocking which leads me to believe it will work out for regular joe enthusiast like most of us.

I am more interested in seeing how it over clocks on air and with water cooling.

Its good news if you take into consideration the rumors that the new 22nm IB cpus would not be able to over clock well because they would not operate at super cold temperatures. Problem referred to as a "cold bug".

Also its good news because another rumor about IB is that it wouldn't be able to handle extreme voltage.

So its looking like the 22nm size is turning out ok for over clocking which leads me to believe it will work out for regular joe enthusiast like most of us.

I am more interested in seeing how it over clocks on air and with water cooling.

What I would like to see is like 100 cores on a chip @ 500mhz that outperforms 100 1 core chips at 5ghz. But a 100core chip even at 22nm would be the size of a pizza box lol.

Imo, Ivy bridge K cpu will be difficult to reach 5Ghz on regular air cooling probly because its 22nm process of the CPU die....internally the cores not being able to dissipate the heat quick enough.

What I would like to see is like 100 cores on a chip @ 500mhz that outperforms 100 1 core chips at 5ghz. But a 100core chip even at 22nm would be the size of a pizza box lol.
Those already exist. They are called GPUs. Intel has also demoed 80 core CPUs. It really isn't that hard to get a lot of cores on a die if you simplify the architecture. A lot of what makes a modern core so large is bloat added to make single thread performance faster. Things like branch prediction and out of order execution take up a good chunk of the logic area. Intel recently demoed a low power first generation Pentium done in 32nm. The active area for the core was only 2mm^2. In a 32nm process, it would be possible to fit 100 of those on a die. The issue is a lot of applications are not embarrassingly parallelizable and do not scale well to that many cores.

Intel actually has experimental chips like this. I have seen mentions of an ~85W 80 core x86 processor that each core is basically an original Pentium 1 core. I do not believe this CPU was much larger than most cpus these days.

Last edited:
Yes that is true for about 3-4 seconds. Then BAM deep freeze. Your body heat creates a thin layer of gaseous nitrogen that, like fiberglass insulation, will keep the liquid from contacting your hand. But much longer than that and instant deep freeze. I wont take a chance with that.

This, kind of like putting a piece of dry ice in your mouth, as long as you don't maintain prolonged exposure on the same spot you'll be fine.

I just bought a 990x, should I return it and wait for a IvyBridge or is it not worth the wait?

I just bought a 990x, should I return it and wait for a IvyBridge or is it not worth the wait?

lga1155 ivy bridge will not be more powerful than your i7 990X. That is if you really use 6+ threads. However in applications that do not use 6 threads like most gaming today the ivy-bridge will be more powerful and use 1/2 of the power.

Last edited:
How much did you pay for it? (if it was anywhere near full price then return it)
What do you use your system for? (if you can't take advantage of 6 cores then return it)

If you got a good price on it AND you have tasks that can take advantage of it then it may be worth keeping.

As to what to buy instead that depends on what you plan to use the system for, for gaming or other thread limited tasks at this point I would wait for IVY unless you despeately need a system now. For higly multithreaded tasks go with a SB-E.

Last edited:
The [H], where people come to bitch about people doing something cool.

Attachments

• IMG_2571.PNG
    IMG_2571.PNG
    331 KB · Views: 30
Back