5TB hdd $109 anyone?

I had a few of these. Very loud (obnoxiously so) and warm. Doesn't really make sense for a storage drive and platter disks are useless for performance applications.

Buy a nice cool 5400RPM Red or something similar instead.

At $22/TB, this doesn't seem that great of a deal when 8TB and 10TB drives routinely go for $15-$16/TB.

It is not a storage drive like for a NAS or media storage. It is cheaper storage for programs/games you don't need/want to put on a ssd. Only downside I have with Toshibas has been noise/vibration in a 4TB model the past 2 years and I've heard their warranty process isn't that great. Namely you get store credit or a prepaid credit card. Price/perf. wise the Toshibas are the best drives compared to the WD Black or Seagate 7200rpm models. Personally I've gone back to WD and Seagate.

It is not a storage drive like for a NAS or media storage. It is cheaper storage for programs/games you don't need/want to put on a ssd. Only downside I have with Toshibas has been noise/vibration in a 4TB model the past 2 years and I've heard their warranty process isn't that great. Namely you get store credit or a prepaid credit card. Price/perf. wise the Toshibas are the best drives compared to the WD Black or Seagate 7200rpm models. Personally I've gone back to WD and Seagate.

I can see a 1-2TB spinner for some extra games, but not 5TB.

Also, Toshiba 3.5" drives are WD drives (WD had to sell their 3.5" manufacturing capabilities to buy out HGST's)

No, WD was forced via FTC/EU/Japan governments to sell HItachi's 3.5'' HDD line to Toshiba so they could keep the 2.5'' and ssd lines and we would have three 3.5'' HDD manufacturers instead of just WD and Seagate. The Toshiba drives are Hitachi as it were.

Also, I just looked at current prices with Seagate's 2TB 7200rpm drives are only $50 and clearly the best deal for spinning rust gaming atm with cheaper storage drives for everything else. Personally having gotten some good dealson WD Black drives over the past few years along with Toshbias, its hard not to have a nice 4-6TB spinner for extra storage with some decent speed for a hdd and a 5 year warranty.

Toshiba drives have always been up there with the enterprise class Hitachi/wd/seagate drives (their 16tb still are), and the 5tb size was always a bit of an odd-ball. I think these are higher performance and build quality drives than the shucked 8tb/10tb drives, but do put performance and longevity far ahead of being quiet. Personally, if a drive is going to last and will make some noise so I know it's working, I like it. (y)

At $22/TB, this doesn't seem that great of a deal when 8TB and 10TB drives routinely go for $15-$16/TB.

This is an internal 3.5" that doesnt need to be shucked (taken out of the USB enclosure) and retains it's warranty. The $180 USB Best Buy drives are great values, but you are taking a risk if you want to use it as an internal 3.5" drive. That being said, I use both drives and they have both treated me well so far.

What risk? Shucking does not void the warranty.
That is up to the discretion of the manufacturer. Technically you did open a sealed product, so they could deny a claim, even though people have not had too much of an issue.

That is up to the discretion of the manufacturer. Technically you did open a sealed product, so they could deny a claim, even though people have not had too much of an issue.
Really? That seems odd. I have a dud 3TB Seagate that I am sure is fine but is dead in a USB enclosure. Has data that I would love but don't want to risk being rejected. Hell their shipping instructions are stupid and contradictory. Why would they, or any brand accept a shucked drive?

Has anyone had experience in explaining they would "shuck" the drive to test, and if successful not return, or if a dud return? I can only see this as being advantageous to a manufacture.

Last edited:

That is not correct. Opening a device does not void the warranty. Just like the "warranty void if seal is broken" stickers are not legal. Not only can you open it up, but you can replace parts inside of it if you so wish. So long as you do not damage or the parts you install do not damage the device, the warranty still holds.

That is not correct. Opening a device does not void the warranty. Just like the "warranty void if seal is broken" stickers are not legal. Not only can you open it up, but you can replace parts inside of it if you so wish. So long as you do not damage or the parts you install do not damage the device, the warranty still holds.
This is not the case in reality--I've dealt with it many times. In general if you open something the manufacturer has told you not to, they have no obligation to support the product any more as it falls under 'unauthorized repairs' which voids any warranty.

Like I said, ymmv, so you may get a sympathetic support agent or could sweet talk your way into something. But generally if you read the terms of almost any warranty document, it's pretty clear that if you open it, it's void.

I have a dud 3TB Seagate that I am sure is fine but is dead in a USB enclosure. Has data that I would love but don't want to risk being rejected.
If I was in your shoes and knew the drive was okay and the enclosure was the issue, I would just eat the warranty and open the enclosure to get the drive and the data knowing that the warranty on the drive may be shot after I do it because the data is more important.

This is not the case in reality--I've dealt with it many times. In general if you open something the manufacturer has told you not to, they have no obligation to support the product any more as it falls under 'unauthorized repairs' which voids any warranty.

Like I said, ymmv, so you may get a sympathetic support agent or could sweet talk your way into something. But generally if you read the terms of almost any warranty document, it's pretty clear that if you open it, it's void.

Again, this is incorrect. You are allowed to repair devices, as well as have a 3rd party repair the device, unless the mfg is willing to cover all costs of the repair, they can not stipulate who can do the repair. This is law under FTC guide lines, what they say in the warranty does not matter if it contradicts the law, the same is the case with "warranty void if removed" stickers. If they do this and you do not report them or take action on it, then yes, they are going to get away with it, but if you choose to not follow through that is on you.

Again, this is incorrect. You are allowed to repair devices, as well as have a 3rd party repair the device, unless the mfg is willing to cover all costs of the repair, they can not stipulate who can do the repair. This is law under FTC guide lines, what they say in the warranty does not matter if it contradicts the law, the same is the case with "warranty void if removed" stickers. If they do this and you do not report them or take action on it, then yes, they are going to get away with it, but if you choose to not follow through that is on you.
That is utterly wrong. READ the warranty statement, and I highly doubt more than 2% of warranties allow this type of thing.

You can fight the world even when the world is wrong--and either way you lose. Or you can save time, understand the way it works and plan for that instead. Not saying that something wrong shouldn't be fought, but pick and choose your battles.

Really? That seems odd. I have a dud 3TB Seagate that I am sure is fine but is dead in a USB enclosure. Has data that I would love but don't want to risk being rejected. Hell their shipping instructions are stupid and contradictory. Why would they, or any brand accept a shucked drive?

Has anyone had experience in explaining they would "shuck" the drive to test, and if successful not return, or if a dud return? I can only see this as being advantageous to a manufacture.

I would just take the chance of shucking it then sell it as a used hard drive to offset the cost of a new drive if you want warranty.

I had a few of these. Very loud (obnoxiously so) and warm. Doesn't really make sense for a storage drive and platter disks are useless for performance applications.

Buy a nice cool 5400RPM Red or something similar instead.

They are very loud. I have a 4TB and 6TB version. The 6TB is very loud.

I recently replaced a very quiet Toshiba 3TB drive, which was dead silent. The X300 4TB is loud when accessing something, where as the older P300 3TB was dead silent most of the time. X300 4TB is manageable, but if you do a lot of work using it I can see it being annoying. The 6TB is constantly loud though.

I am patiently awaiting ~$160 4TB SSDs. Even if they're slow they'll be faster than these HDDs and you won't have to deal with the noise.

That is utterly wrong. READ the warranty statement, and I highly doubt more than 2% of warranties allow this type of thing.

You can fight the world even when the world is wrong--and either way you lose. Or you can save time, understand the way it works and plan for that instead. Not saying that something wrong shouldn't be fought, but pick and choose your battles.

I don't think you understand how laws work. They can state whatever they like, but it is not enforceable. An agreement can not change law, or rights, and if an agreement states something that does not follow the law, or infringes on a right, it is void. So if they state anything in the warranty about "warranty void if removed" etc, it is automatically void. The FTC even sends out letters to companies who still use them, as they are in violation and can face fines for them.

https://www.ifixit.com/News/warranty-stickers-are-illegal

"Most consumers don’t know that these stickers are actually illegal—and that’s because manufacturers don’t want you to. Under the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the Feds mandated that you can open your electronics without voiding the warranty, regardless of what the language of your warranty says. That makes all of that inconsistent (albeit crafty) language used by the 50 manufacturers surveyed by the U.S. PIRG illegal."

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...panies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage

I have one of these as my Steam & backup drive in my gaming rig. I want to say it was under $100 at Microcenter. Works fine. I don't notice noise but my case (Antec P100) eats most of it, and it's under my desk.

I'm using 4 x 6TB Toshiba 7200 drives in my server and they've been fine for several years. I notice the noise there more though, because they're in a removable drive bay, not installed internally. Not awful though.

I don't think you understand how laws work. They can state whatever they like, but it is not enforceable. An agreement can not change law, or rights, and if an agreement states something that does not follow the law, or infringes on a right, it is void. So if they state anything in the warranty about "warranty void if removed" etc, it is automatically void. The FTC even sends out letters to companies who still use them, as they are in violation and can face fines for them.

"Most consumers don’t know that these stickers are actually illegal—and that’s because manufacturers don’t want you to. Under the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the Feds mandated that you can open your electronics without voiding the warranty, regardless of what the language of your warranty says. That makes all of that inconsistent (albeit crafty) language used by the 50 manufacturers surveyed by the U.S. PIRG illegal."

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pre...panies-it-illegal-condition-warranty-coverage

While there is no denying thats the law, and in a small claims court you`d be handed a win for sure, most initial points of contact to start the RMA aka customer service lines or depots will give you the run around and dissemination of bs and take place in the company kangaroo court.

As per anything you buy these days, you have to value your time and seek a trusted company (ie EVGA) and an excellent credit card company return or warranty.

BTW is the warranty on this still Toshiba Store Credit?

While there is no denying thats the law, and in a small claims court you`d be handed a win for sure, most initial points of contact to start the RMA aka customer service lines or depots will give you the run around and dissemination of bs and take place in the company kangaroo court.

As per anything you buy these days, you have to value your time and seek a trusted company (ie EVGA) and an excellent credit card company return or warranty.

BTW is the warranty on this still Toshiba Store Credit?

Your willingness to follow through with something has nothing to do with a warranty being voided due to opening the device.

I don't think you understand how it works. You will spend more on fighting them to enforce the laws than just taking the hit and moving on. It's why it still works this way--no one is going to spend $500 to retain an attorney to fight for the warranty of a $200 drive. And most attorneys won't take the case because there will be an out-of-court settlement versus a trial that sets some sort of precedent or case law.

I don't think you understand how it works. You will spend more on fighting them to enforce the laws than just taking the hit and moving on. It's why it still works this way--no one is going to spend $500 to retain an attorney to fight for the warranty of a $200 drive. And most attorneys won't take the case because there will be an out-of-court settlement versus a trial that sets some sort of precedent or case law.

Again, incorrect, this is FTC grounds, you don't take them to court (unless you incurred some sort of damages you are trying to recover), you report them to the FTC as this is not a civil case. It's clear you have no experience with any of this and very little understanding of federal consumer laws, with zero motivation to do anything about it.

Again, incorrect, this is FTC grounds, you don't take them to court (unless you incurred some sort of damages you are trying to recover), you report them to the FTC as this is not a civil case. It's clear you have no experience with any of this and very little understanding of federal consumer laws, with zero motivation to do anything about it.

And so how long does that take to get say a person a replacement drive or money back?

I don't think you've dealt with anything legal at all. I've dealt with the FTC as well as private civil and criminal suits. Any breech of contract is actionable (which is what violation of a warranty agreement between a consumer and manufacturer would constitute), but whether it will be thrown out by a judge, settled out of court, etc, determines if you will actually 'win'.

As far as the FTC, if you have no damages, you're not going to get the attention of the FTC on any level. If you're expecting the FTC to take action against a manufacturer for violating a hard drive warranty, good luck with that. I couldn't get the FTC to take action against a $150M company selling franchises without a UFOC (as is REQUIRED by the FTC to do so), as well as false information in that UFOC. I know people that lose well over a million dollars (in aggregate) and none of them got any attention from the FTC.

The FTC is busy and like all government agencies, will have to let smaller cases just go unresolved--a hard drive warranty issue would be one of them imo.

A consumer's best bet is to simply avoid this whole bag of worms and understand that there would be a high chance of having no warranty once a drive is shucked, and make the decision to shuck or not shuck accordingly. The warranty period is only 2-3 years anyways (at best), so any drive lasting longer than that is no longer restricted to non-shucked use.

The real question we should be asking ourselves is:

How many drives would a woodchuck shuck if a woodchuck could shuck drives?

Three? Just a guess. Ya three final answer!
Wombat_Blog_GroundhogDay_Feb2017.jpg

Back