5PK Dual Port Intel GigE PCI-E NICs, $178 + shipping

drizzt reports that he just received one card when he bought the item from acs. url link removed to preserve your sanity.

ttp://www.acsoutlet.com/EXPI9402PTBLK-Standard.aspx

Found this while looking up NICs to pit against the Killer NIC for a review.
Seems like $178 is the going price for 1-2 cards :eek:

Never heard of this company before, though. Proceed with caution.

XmagusX found a great single deal on these, too:
XmagusX said:
Please note this is a five-pack. Most everything I found from eBay was still in the $120+ range.
However, I did find one spiffy thing -- Wolf Camera has them for $49.29 each. Add a Sanyo CR-2032 Lithium Battery (3 volt) coin battery for $1.99 to bring your total to $51.28, then use google checkout to drop your total down to $31.28. Shipping is $6.95.

So if you want just one and want to go with a little bit better known seller, you can tag these for $38.23 a pop. :)

That works out to $191.15 for 5, only slightly over the OP's $188.50 shipped.

I saw the $178 price tag and thought "holy crap, NIC's are going straight to expensive hell" but then I saw it was for a pack of 5.

Wow that's the cheapest I've seen for those NICs. These are server NICs so you will get very good performance. Compared to the KillerNIC not so sure, but I wouldn't doubt that it could match performance if not better.

Different advantages to each -- one is designed for high speed, the other for high bandwidth. There's a ton of overlap between enthusiast gear and server gear, but I've never seen networking as an example of such overlap since an average home broadband connection (excluding you lucky bastiches with fiber) won't be able to flood 10baseT or even 802.11b (presuming a decent connection). Twin gigabit is really only something that's mainly worthwhile to slap into a rather heavily used LAN server, since that's main application that will be able to take advantage of that much bandwidth.

As far as I'm aware of though, Killer is still the only NIC trying to push higher speeds out of lower bandwidth solutions, which pretty much means that it should well spank any other NICs in the gaming arena (providing they've done their job well ;) ). I'd definitely be interested in seeing the results of your testing to see if they have. :D

All that said, freaking sweet find! Eighteen bucks per gigabit port is hard to beat, especially when they're Intels. :)

Apallohadas said:
You can get them cheaper bro. Even on Ebay.
Please note this is a five-pack. Most everything I found from eBay was still in the $120+ range.
However, I did find one spiffy thing -- Wolf Camera has them for $49.29 each. Add a Sanyo CR-2032 Lithium Battery (3 volt) coin battery for $1.99 to bring your total to $51.28, then use google checkout to drop your total down to $31.28. Shipping is $6.95.

So if you want just one and want to go with a little bit better known seller, you can tag these for $38.23 a pop. :)

LightningCrash said:
Good find!

The force is strong with this one :)
Hehe -- danke. Feel free to edit the OP to include the wolfcamera price as well if you want help out the lazy folks who don't scroll down. ;)

XmagusX said:
Hehe -- danke. Feel free to edit the OP to include the wolfcamera price as well if you want help out the lazy folks who don't scroll down. ;)

it's a good thing i'm not too lazy to edit the OP, lol

done and done

That is a very good find. It must be a typo or something on their part. On the same site, they have the single card listed for $195.44. On the wolf site you see the part number does not match what they say it is in the description OR the picture. The "mfr#" is actually a desktop adapter. Just an FYI :) YMMV

BTW, if you can order a 5 pack, PM me I will take a couple off of someones hand. At that price it is a freaking STEAL. :eek: :D ;)

XmagusX said:

Holy crap! Your google-fu is STRONG!

I am defeated!!! (and wish I had an open port to use one of these!)

I just ordered a 5-pack, let's see what happens. ( I figured that this was relevant to this thread, hence my bumping. The deal is still going on too).

Nice price.

What is w/ the x4 interface when an x1 interface provides plenty of bandwidth?

Nice price.

What is w/ the x4 interface when an x1 interface provides plenty of bandwidth?

Excellent question, though two full-duplex GbE links would just about max out the x1 slot at ~240 MiB/s in each direction.

my package arrived today. It took them 3 business days to get it shipped and I never got a response to a single e-mail I sent their tracking department.

I ordered a 5-pack depicted here and received a single card. I am currently trying to get a hold of their customer service department. I am on song #3.

To say the least this deal is not hot, unless you actually get the cards.

so they say that this is a bulk 1pack. Shipping it back now.

Wow that's the cheapest I've seen for those NICs. These are server NICs so you will get very good performance. Compared to the KillerNIC not so sure, but I wouldn't doubt that it could match performance if not better.

KillerNic's product is HIGHLY overrated. It's performance, for me, was about as good as going from cat5 cable to cat6 cable for the higher bandwidth availability offering a slight effective boost.

KillerNic needs to be $60 for it's performance to match it's value.
The added fact that their device is ---NOT--- gigE speed.. makes it insulting for most purposes.

Excellent question, though two full-duplex GbE links would just about max out the x1 slot at ~240 MiB/s in each direction.

Perhaps, despite the lane bandwidth, due to overhead, your data can only use 60% or so. Sort of like when comparing AGP 8x and PCIe x16, they claimed that it was twice as fast, but the effective data bandwidth ended up being the same, due to all the transaction overhead traffic. If that's true, you would need up to x2 to ensure that One gigabit interface was being maximized.

It could also be that it cuts down on latency, since it would allow you to fill/empty buffers at a much higher speed to/from system memory.

I have an intel pci-x 133 dual-gigabit card. The drivers are excellent and it shows very low cpu utilization. Curiously... my 4-year old card has no heatsink... this one does.

my package arrived today. It took them 3 business days to get it shipped and I never got a response to a single e-mail I sent their tracking department.

I ordered a 5-pack depicted here and received a single card. I am currently trying to get a hold of their customer service department. I am on song #3.

To say the least this deal is not hot, unless you actually get the cards.

so they say that this is a bulk 1pack. Shipping it back now.

shit, sorry man :(

i've updated the OP

Back