$5M In Pirated Software On A HDD = Art?

so my 2tb drive with 1.12TB of music is (at max of 320kbps) around 11.9 million minutes of music. should be 165000 cds or so at 72m each (for sanity). so by retail of $20, its $3.3m... in RIAA money, thats around $425 billion or so

Is it a statement? Yes. Is it Art? No.

The discussion being had here is not about the pieces statement but whether or not it qualifies as art. The hard drive in no way (for me at least) offers expansion of or insight into the human experience or the way I interpret the world. Art has to have a definition otherwise it has no meaning but everyone gets to define it for themselves.

Is it a statement? Yes. Is it Art? No.

The discussion being had here is not about the pieces statement but whether or not it qualifies as art. The hard drive in no way (for me at least) offers expansion of or insight into the human experience or the way I interpret the world. Art has to have a definition otherwise it has no meaning but everyone gets to define it for themselves.

Defining art is problematic. I don't consider it art, good , bad, or otherwise, either. But others do. So to me it is not art, to some one else it is.
Art, is just one of those things, that 100 different people will give you a 100 different answers on.
Obviously, most people consider a painting, sculpture, poem, or music, art, even if it sucks hard. A urinal that some artist passed off as art, as a joke, that somehow spawned an entire genre of "art", or some dick head pissing on a statue of Mary with anal beads stuck up his ass, or some hard drive sitting on a pedestal, many, if not most, will not consider art regardless of what the the "artistic elite" say. But is what most people consider art the end of it's definition, or is the elite's definition correct, or some place in between? I figure my earlier statement of "Art is in the eye of the beholder" is prolly the best definition I would ever be able to give.

Defining art is a pain in the ass, and perhaps not even possible, not going to try any more at this point anyway.

That was what i was getting at with the latter part of the post. By my definition it cant reasonably be considered art but I acknowledge other right to differ in opinion. They are still wrong :p

Defining art is problematic. I don't consider it art, good , bad, or otherwise, either. But others do. So to me it is not art, to some one else it is.

To quote Duke Nukem, "What now, shit finger-painting?" A line has to be drawn somewhere. I use effort and some degree of skill requirement as my gauge. If it looks like someone cobbled something together in just a few minutes that *I* could cobble together in a few minutes, then it's not art. Throwing cans of paint at a wall is not art. I don't call it art when I fly over a convertible and crap on the guy driving it. It may be funny as hell to me but that doesn't make it art. If I were to paint the Mona Lisa out of bird poop then I could call it art because it would definitely take a lot of effort and skill (and poop) to do so.

To quote Duke Nukem, "What now, shit finger-painting?" A line has to be drawn somewhere. I use effort and some degree of skill requirement as my gauge. If it looks like someone cobbled something together in just a few minutes that *I* could cobble together in a few minutes, then it's not art. Throwing cans of paint at a wall is not art. I don't call it art when I fly over a convertible and crap on the guy driving it. It may be funny as hell to me but that doesn't make it art. If I were to paint the Mona Lisa out of bird poop then I could call it art because it would definitely take a lot of effort and skill (and poop) to do so.

I don't disagree at all. A hard drive sitting on a pedestal is not art imho. However, in the not so humble opinions found in the art world, or among those that consider themselves the artistic elite, it is art. I doubt we could convince them otherwise, just as they are not likely to convince us otherwise.
I am merely pointing out that the line we wish to draw is not a straight or stationary one, once other people, with other ideas of what art is get involved.

Is this stage prop a cool commentary on a facet of current society? It sure is imho.
Is it art? Not in my opinion.

* Marvin the paranoid android voice * I don't consider this art. I find it fantastically boring. Death Princess and the pictures were amusing though.

I don't disagree at all. A hard drive sitting on a pedestal is not art imho. However, in the not so humble opinions found in the art world, or among those that consider themselves the artistic elite, it is art. I doubt we could convince them otherwise, just as they are not likely to convince us otherwise.
I am merely pointing out that the line we wish to draw is not a straight or stationary one, once other people, with other ideas of what art is get involved.

Is this stage prop a cool commentary on a facet of current society? It sure is imho.
Is it art? Not in my opinion.

I find the entire idea of an "Artistic Elite" to be asinine. They say you can't define art yet that is precisely what they dedicate their lives to doing.

Back