5GbE?

I heard about when it was on the research table.

Its a stop gap mainly till technology lets them shrink 10gbe chips to use less power and cost less.

I welcome any speed increase.

I'm very curious to see if this gets adopted by anyone. 5GbE will be plenty for heavy-duty home networks IMO, and probably for a lot of small business use.

10GbE is just way to expensive for home right now, as nice as it would be. If they can get 5GbE out in a price between 1GbE and 10GbE though, I think they might have a winner.

I'm not sure if this standard is going to have legs: I don't know that they're going to be able to actually make it to market at prices lower than 10GBaseT.

I'm not sure if this standard is going to have legs: I don't know that they're going to be able to actually make it to market at prices lower than 10GBaseT.

I'd agree honestly. 10GbE has been really expensive for a long time now, and there's no sign it's getting cheaper. I know I (and a lot of others) were hoping it would eventually drop in price like 1GbE did and become mainstream.

From everything I've read, one of the main targets of the new standard is wireless access points. Wireless throughput is getting to the point where (at least on paper) a single WAP can overwhelm it's 1 Gb uplink to the switch. Being able to increase the bandwidth without having to redo your building's wiring is a big win. I think that once manufacturers start integrating it into WAPs and switches economies of scale will start to kick in and prices will go down.

The new standard is not destined for the data center/server room, and will not replace 10 Gb ethernet in any form. At some point it may show up on lower-end servers and workstations, but I wouldn't make plans around that.

HP/Aruba are big drivers in this as well. HP already have nbase-t offerings. There is another standard mgbase-t that must've got left holding the bag on this. This has been in the works for a few years now.

From everything I've read, one of the main targets of the new standard is wireless access points. Wireless throughput is getting to the point where (at least on paper) a single WAP can overwhelm it's 1 Gb uplink to the switch. Being able to increase the bandwidth without having to redo your building's wiring is a big win. I think that once manufacturers start integrating it into WAPs and switches economies of scale will start to kick in and prices will go down.

The new standard is not destined for the data center/server room, and will not replace 10 Gb ethernet in any form. At some point it may show up on lower-end servers and workstations, but I wouldn't make plans around that.

I would expect data centers and such to go ahead and pay for 10GbE...I think if this 5GbE gets any traction, it could be an awesome upgrade for the "high end desktop" and small business types though, if they can get the cost somewhere half-way between 10GbE and 1GbE.

Multi GBit over copper is a bad idea. The line filters in 10GBase-T add a 1microsecond delay to each frame (The filter is mandated by the spec.). It also takes way more power to transmit 10GBps over copper then over fiber. LC-LC fiber is where it's at for me.

I bought cheap brocade BR1020 cards and a DLink DGS-1510-28x on ebay. 4 Computers linked at 10 GBit/sec (and 12 other devices in the normal 1GBps ports) for under 500 euros.

10GBit Ethernet is not that expensive if you don't have many computers to link.

Back