5d Classic?

Jimi_Shuffler

[H]ard|Gawd
Debating whether or not I should still get the 5d Classic, is it still decent for this day and age (despite it's age?)

My current gear so far:

T2i with kit lens.
tamron 75-300mm 4.5-5.6
Rokinon CS II 8mm Fisheye 3.5
Tamron 19-35mm 3.5-4.5

and a bunch of lenses from older mounts ( I have the adapter for them to work on ef mount)

I want to see how an FF body is, I do want to explore landscape photography and street photography later in life. I also want to get an FF and build a better collection of lenses after getting an FF body. I plan on slowly replacing my t2i later down the line when I get a 60D after getting an FF. (just need the 60d it for shooting speeds and video) Or Should I just save up and get a used 5D MK II instead?

5Dc is still an excellent camera that can be had for relatively cheap.
Zack Arias has mentioned that if he had to start over today with no gear in a new city and no rep, that he would build his business from a 5Dc.

It will do well in portraiture and landscape photography, and well probably everything else too. Where it will have difficulty is pushing the ISO's and things like shadow detail. It has the capacity to take you far. In terms of how good of a tool it is, it's still excellent.

Where I have difficulty is telling you how it compares to your t2i. Given the choice, I'd take the 5Dc because I'd want the full frame. But the T2i does have certain modernizations that the 5Dc doesn't. Whether you can deal with that or not, is kind-of up to you.

Last edited:
thanks for the input. I'll most likely go for the 5Dc in the near future, and possibly pick up the canon 85mm 1.8 or the canon 50mm 1.4

thanks for the input. I'll most likely go for the 5Dc in the near future, and possibly pick up the canon 85mm 1.8 or the canon 50mm 1.4

I'd recommend both. You can also pick up the 35mm f/2 (some don't like the noisy focus motor on this one, but it's cheap and has excellent output) or the new 35mm f/2 IS (three times as expensive as the other f/2, but is lauded as being an L lens in disguise) and have a (relatively) inexpensive prime set that will cover most any portrait work, travel, general shooting (kids, family, street, whatever), and landscape that a photographer's will come across. Of course we all tend to gravitate towards a favorite tool, but having those three general use focal lengths in the bag will cover probably 95% of your usage cases. Unless you want ultra wide or telephoto (IE you like extreme close ups with your landscape work or you do sports or birding).

Edit: I should also note, I recommend buying all three used if you can. Save the money. You probably already know this tip (as you're looking at a camera that you can no longer buy new), but just pointing it out.

Last edited:
Pick up a rocket blower too. The 5D classic doesn't have the ultrasonic sensor cleaner and needs a quick cleaning every now and then. Also, the LCD screen isn't the best...but that's a minor detail. The images that the camera produces even with no post processing are still incredible :)

This is probably not what you want to hear- but I'd avoid 'investing' in older technology if possible. And I'm not knocking the 5Dc; it can produce better images than any Canon crop sensor camera, but that's mostly due to Canon's lack of improvement, not the prowess of the 5Dc.

I just moved from a 60D to a 6D, picking the 6D over the 5DII and 5Dc, primarily for the benefits of a full-frame camera, but also because I couldn't stand the low-light noise produced by Canon's APS-C sensor. Canon has modified it for the T4i, T5i, and SL1, but not improved it's low-light performance- you get ugly, mechanical noise in the shadows. This is also the same sensor in your T2i.

Having said that, unless a 5Dc is your only intended upgrade (no 60D or whatever else), that's fine, but if you really want to invest in photography, either wait until you can afford a 6D, or until Canon releases a more affordable crop camera with an improved sensor. All eyes are currently on the 60D's confirmed successor, the 70D, and whether Canon has pulled their head out yet.

I have to agree with IdiotinCharge,

I'd save up and moving forward, instead taking a few steps back.

A big part of this decision comes down to budget and what he's trying to accomplish.

I'll admit that my "agenda" (everyone has one) is with the idea of doing business. If the camera is to be a tool and it's to deliver a result, then starting with the 5Dc in order to spend money where it is important and to not go into debt is critical. I think one of the best pieces of advice that I got from Zack Arias, Chase Jarvis, Ramit Sethi, Scott Robert Lim, and a few others is: "will your clients ever know/ask about what type of gear you use?" (the answer of course is no) this is due to the fact that they will care about the result, and not the tool (do you ask what kind of hammers or power-tools a carpenter has? Or do you care that he can build your deck properly?). And the second follow up question is: "are you upgrading to upgrade or does this upgrade serve a purpose or limitation that you're trying to move past?"

12MP is plenty. It's enough for commercial photography, as in things that would be put in magazines or any form of print. The 5Dc as has been said by everyone that it produces excellent images. Once again going to what I said earlier, if this camera gets the most important part, the result, why spend more money? If you do a lot of night shooting or low light shooting it will have that as a disadvantage, yes, but the amount of learning you can do with the camera if this is something you are passionate about is huge. Does this mean that newer/'better' tools don't have their place? Of course not.

The 5Dc is undervalued, and you can take advantage of that. Use the 5Dc for a couple of years, then when you run into limitations or it's time for an upgrade, you'll still be able to get part of your investment back through resale, and buy what you need to where you are trying to go. Nothing more, nothing less. For the cost of a 5D2 ($1200) he could buy a 5Dc a 35mm f/2 and an 85mm 1.8. There is an inherent advantage in spreading the money around. The body is just one part of the equation.

If this is a hobby, and he's got tons of cash. Just buy a 1Dx. Why not? If the point of this conversation is that he should skip middle grounds then let's go all the way. I'm all about min/maxing.

Last edited:
I just saw a deal for a 6D for $1600-ish. I really don't see, price vs. performance, how anything could beat that. The T2i is superb, though, so if you chose to invest in more glass, that would make sense too. I was a big fan of the Canon 17-55/2.8 IS.

Personally, I'd keep the T2i body, sell all of your current slow/soft glass (except maybe the fisheye), and replace it with some better quality / faster aperture lenses.

At the top of my list would be the inexpensive Sigma or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, and then maybe look at great bang-for-buck fast primes like old Canon 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.8 II, and 85mm f/1.8

Lenses are a much better investment than camera bodies, and your T2i can do a lot of things that a 5Dc can't.

I will be on a budget, and I am wanting to test how a FF body is. If I don't like how the 5Dc turns out to be, I can always sell it off to get my money back and just save up for a slightly newer body if anything.

Honestly a FF body will have a relatively minor impact on the look of your images given your current lenses. It'll make them wider (Your 19-35 going into the ultra-wide category), but you still won't get much of a shallow depth of field effect from any of them due to their slow apertures.

With few exceptions, glass is a better investment.

I agree that worst case, he can flip the body. But I personally feel like the jump from crop to FF is huge. I'm not the only one with this opinion. If you're on the other side of the fence and you don't feel like moving from crop to FF is a big deal, I can understand that position as well. For me, personally, I never want to move back to using a crop sensor again, with the notable exception of possibly purchasing a Fuji X-Pro 1 (or its successor) or an X100s. But even in those terms, I'm trying to get "equivalent" focal length glass, something that I really don't like.

I do also agree that the big(er) investment is in the glass. This is why I think the 5Dc is probably one of the best if not the best camera in terms of gaining entry into the photography market. The 6D bare as has been noted is $1600. Spending that amount of money, you still can't shoot. That's body only. For that same cost you can buy a 5Dc ($600) buy a 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4, and an 85mm 1.8 and still have a little money left over. Having the investment in the glass with an entry level FF body will make a much bigger difference than simply buying an expensive body.

If you don't like the body, you'll still be able to get most of that investment back out, and of course all the glass retains its value for the most part.

I think moving from crop to FF is only advantageous when you've hit the limit of what the lenses available for crop bodies can provide. I think it's only worth the investment if all your zooms are f/2.8 and you've got a good lineup of fast primes but STILL crave:
a) shallower depth of field (~1-1/3rd stop)
b) wider field of view (1.6X)
c) better ISO performance (~1 stop on modern FF vs modern crop sensors)

Keep in mind that the 5Dc tops out at ISO 1600 and it doesn't look especially great at that ISO. I think the T2i could probably give it a good run for it's money in that regard.

You'll be spending a lot more money on full-frame compatible lenses, especially ones that really show off the full frame camera's performance. If you're on a budget, I'd suggest sticking with crop lenses until you absolutely have to.

I shoot both my 5D Mark II and 7D regularly, and to be honest, the difference isn't huge. Where I see the most impact is the field-of-view crop. Sometimes it's nice to get a little more reach out of my 70-200 by putting it on my 7D.

I think moving from crop to FF is only advantageous when you've hit the limit of what the lenses available for crop bodies can provide. I think it's only worth the investment if all your zooms are f/2.8 and you've got a good lineup of fast primes but STILL crave:
a) shallower depth of field (~1-1/3rd stop)
b) wider field of view (1.6X)
c) better ISO performance (~1 stop on modern FF vs modern crop sensors)

Keep in mind that the 5Dc tops out at ISO 1600 and it doesn't look especially great at that ISO. I think the T2i could probably give it a good run for it's money in that regard.

You'll be spending a lot more money on full-frame compatible lenses, especially ones that really show off the full frame camera's performance. If you're on a budget, I'd suggest sticking with crop lenses until you absolutely have to.

I shoot both my 5D Mark II and 7D regularly, and to be honest, the difference isn't huge. Where I see the most impact is the field-of-view crop. Sometimes it's nice to get a little more reach out of my 70-200 by putting it on my 7D.

I think we're on the same page really SilverMK3, but it's just that our application is different and this is where really the OP and his preference has to come in.

A lot of what type of camera you want, is all going to be about what type of subjects you want. It's hard to argue what is objective in photography when so much of it if not all of it (at least in regards to equipment) is subjective. However I would argue that the FF will be inherently better at the two things I find gain the most use from my camera, which is to say portraits/people and landscapes. If you're an avid birder, sports photographer, war photographer, or some other type in which requires being farther away there are advantages to having the crop. My preference even in this case would be to have the FF and crop down the 1.6 rather than having the 1.6x inherently. Crop doesn't actually extend zooms, it just narrows the field of view. If you like narrow views than I suppose that is advantageous, but I'd rather have the wider view and the option to cut than have that decision made for me.

I think the same can be said about lenses and lens selection. I don't necessarily think you "must have" f/2.8 lenses or faster to appreciate an FF. I want my 35mm to have the appearance and width of a 35mm as opposed to being close to 50mm. I want my 50mm to be 50mm and not close to 80mm. I grant that if you're used to shooting crop, "a view is a view". In this regard, crop and/or FF can be "overcome" because it's a matter of the knowledge of the equipment. As I noted before however, for me, I won't compromise on this, as that field of view is important to me. To some people it's not. It doesn't seem to be with you.

You'll also note that with my suggestion with the 5Dc, I'm also suggesting 3 lenses, and in those three lenses are 2 that he was already considering. With this setup, your requirement of having f/2.8 lenses would be exceeded, and the overall cost of the setup would be low. As also noted he would have essentially the entire general use range covered. I admit that this setup sort-of disregards his purchases made in the past, but it's natural to move forward and upgrade, and we both agree that the investment in the glass is a really big important part.

If he was to stay on crop, I would probably not recommend the 85mm, but instead would recommend the 24mm f/2.8 instead to cover 'around' the same focal lengths that the 35/50/85 do on FF. However if he did buy the 5Dc, he could sell his T2i with the kit lens, still have all the main central focal lengths covered, have an ultra wide zoom and a telephoto and have essentially all the general use cases covered (and I would argue, a substantial upgrade).

well said unknown. I really don't mind selling off the glass I have (but I'll still keep the fisheye) but I am still wanting to keep my t2i for video recording and other features that the 5Dc is missing, or heck if I love the 5Dc, I don't mind selling off both bodies and grabbing a 6d or maybe even a used 5d mk II if its worth it.

I will respond to this thread later. I am in china and about to go eat some awesome dim sum.

But I have had all these bodies talked about in this thread. Currently I am using a 5d, 5d mark 3, Fuji x100s, Olympus pen and various p&s. I just sold my 5d mark II

I will respond to this thread later. I am in china and about to go eat some awesome dim sum.

But I have had all these bodies talked about in this thread. Currently I am using a 5d, 5d mark 3, Fuji x100s, Olympus pen and various p&s. I just sold my 5d mark II

nice, was looking at pens a while ago, but I am pushing that want all the way to the back lol. and your comment about dim sum, is making me want some! :p

The Olympus pen is my full spectrum camera... I am into ir photography...

A big part of this decision comes down to budget and what he's trying to accomplish.

I'll admit that my "agenda" (everyone has one) is with the idea of doing business. If the camera is to be a tool and it's to deliver a result, then starting with the 5Dc in order to spend money where it is important and to not go into debt is critical. I think one of the best pieces of advice that I got from Zack Arias, Chase Jarvis, Ramit Sethi, Scott Robert Lim, and a few others is: "will your clients ever know/ask about what type of gear you use?" (the answer of course is no) this is due to the fact that they will care about the result, and not the tool (do you ask what kind of hammers or power-tools a carpenter has? Or do you care that he can build your deck properly?). And the second follow up question is: "are you upgrading to upgrade or does this upgrade serve a purpose or limitation that you're trying to move past?"

12MP is plenty. It's enough for commercial photography, as in things that would be put in magazines or any form of print. The 5Dc as has been said by everyone that it produces excellent images. Once again going to what I said earlier, if this camera gets the most important part, the result, why spend more money? If you do a lot of night shooting or low light shooting it will have that as a disadvantage, yes, but the amount of learning you can do with the camera if this is something you are passionate about is huge. Does this mean that newer/'better' tools don't have their place? Of course not.

The 5Dc is undervalued, and you can take advantage of that. Use the 5Dc for a couple of years, then when you run into limitations or it's time for an upgrade, you'll still be able to get part of your investment back through resale, and buy what you need to where you are trying to go. Nothing more, nothing less. For the cost of a 5D2 ($1200) he could buy a 5Dc a 35mm f/2 and an 85mm 1.8. There is an inherent advantage in spreading the money around. The body is just one part of the equation.

If this is a hobby, and he's got tons of cash. Just buy a 1Dx. Why not? If the point of this conversation is that he should skip middle grounds then let's go all the way. I'm all about min/maxing.

I'm actually thinking about doing this next year.
Currently I'm getting into M4/3, and away from my T1i, for travel purposes. But I would like to get gear designed for landscape and portraits, and a 5Dc and a couple of nice primes would be perfect.
Your money thoughts are spot on. I don't sell my photos, purely for self enjoyment, so spending $2000 on a body just doesn't make sense for me. I would rather do as you say, spend $1200 and get a camera that is capable of taking amazing photographs, as well as a couple very nice used lenses.

Back