5970.. whats it worth to YOU?

ebeattie

Limp Gawd
This is a question for all. If your in the market for a 5970, what brand would you get AND the MOST important part of this question:

How much should someone pay for a NIB Radeon 5970? Since this card is so hard to come by as it is, what is a reasonable street price for one thats new?

I'd be willing to pay $600 for one. I'd pay $700 for a 4GB version. I've used Sapphire, Gigabyte, and XFX and have not had a problem with any of them.

Last edited:
Well they are all $600 to $750 right now depending on brand. I actually had an XFX 5970 Black Edition i purchased through newegg for $719 + tax/shipping.

I would either go with XFX / Sapphire / Gigabyte. Any of them will be great. If you go to newegg.com and just type in 'radeon 5970' in the search, it'll show you the going prices of all of the 5970's they carry.

Hehe I know bout newegg. but I just wanted opinions about what MSRP was and (given how these are hard to come by as is at the normal etailers) how much markup is justified.

580, really not worth much more performance wise unless you like benching

I would only get a 4gb model. 1 Gb per GPU isn't enough for that beast. I'd wait until they get to about $500 USD...

The 5970 2GB is worth $699. That's what it's selling for on Newegg and other etailors. Don't bother asking people 'what its worth to them' because nobody wants to pay the market rate.

I won't buy one until I can get it for $580 or less. Yes, I realize this may mean I don't get one. I would like the performance boost and have the computer to take advantage of it but I feel $700 is outrageous for this card. If you want one now expect to pay about $700. If you see one for less it is probably a good deal. As to the name on the card, it mostly comes down to warranty unless you see a different heatsink on it. The vast majority of 5970's are a stock ATI card and heatsink with another manufacturer's label put on it.

As to the prior posters comment on worth, the poster didn't pay attention to the title/question which was What is this card worth to YOU? Personal worth is not the same as market price. The only reason this card costs so much is because demand outstrips supply. If there were an abundance of cards, they would likely be priced below the original MSRP which was $599. Prices only skyrocketed when ATI/AMD couldn't produce the quantity needed to meet demand. Based on ATI's original pricing the card is worth far less than what the consumer is paying.

Last edited:
xfx is cool for lifetime warranty might as well get lifetime if paying 500+$

that's what I was thinking. I might be leaning toward an XFX 5870 XXX reference edition, simply for a future crossfire potential. Given the reviews ive seen, xfire 5870 looks wicked. for the price v. performance a 5970 is only $100 cheaper than xfiring 5870s. A single 5970 does have a power consumption advantage though....

decisions decisions...

love mine i also have a 5870 in daughters rig would def recommend the 5970 is you have the scratch.

love mine i also have a 5870 in daughters rig would def recommend the 5970 is you have the scratch.

Can you tell the difference in performance between the two cards? I know the reviews clearly show an advantage, but real wolrd hows it look card to card?

Can you tell the difference in performance between the two cards? I know the reviews clearly show an advantage, but real wolrd hows it look card to card?

yes with much higher minium and max frame rates and the abilty to run higher aa and af you sure can tell and ive never even felt or seen any issues with it being a dual gpu card. very smooth in all my games. of course the rest of the system not bottlenecking helps too.

I wasn't in the market... but got one anyways when I found one for $550.

I have little interest in a 5970 2gb. IMHO it will be bsolete 12-24 months sooner than a 4gb for 4+ megapixel displays. I currently game on an LP3065, and plan to put together an eyefinity setup sometime in the next year.

I'd pay $800 - $900 for a 4gb with a factory clock speed of 850MHz or above. Unfortunately I think they'll be starting higher than that.

If anyone cares, there is a Sapphire 5970 4gb currently listed on ebay, by an Australian retailer. It has a buy it now price of roughly $1400 US shipped to the USA. It currently claims the ETA is the end of May.

I have little interest in a 5970 2gb. IMHO it will be bsolete 12-24 months sooner than a 4gb for 4+ megapixel displays. I currently game on an LP3065, and plan to put together an eyefinity setup sometime in the next year.

I'd pay $800 - $900 for a 4gb with a factory clock speed of 850MHz or above. Unfortunately I think they'll be starting higher than that.

If anyone cares, there is a Sapphire 5970 4gb currently listed on ebay, by an Australian retailer. It has a buy it now price of roughly $1400 US shipped to the USA. It currently claims the ETA is the end of May.

just tri fire if they are that much....

Anyone have ANY clue when and IF the regular or 2GB black editions will be back in stock? been forever and I cant seem to find any. Ive seen a few websites say they will have stock sometime around the latter part of this month (may). heres hoping they are available again... and at somewhat rational prices. I just cant help but think that getting one of these makes more sense. i know I was think aloud about xfiring two 5870 XXX editions, but after rereading the review here at [H], one of these bad boys is only pulling ~520W at the wall.

I bought mine on day one, the UK only got a few hundred units total, a select few stores had about 10-20 each. This caused massive price gouging by the stores, the card should retail at about $600 which with tax and everything comes in at about £420.

However stores price gouging put the card at about £520-550 (well over £100 markup), luckily due to e-tailer camping and the stupidty of one particular store to put the cards on at RRP netted me one for £443 which is about what the RRP would be for the UK. Needless to say about 15 minutes after I orderd mine they also jumped on the gouging bandwaggon so I count myself lucky that I found mine at a reasonable price and that they honored the price I bought it at.

The card itself is a monster, it's built from the ground up to be an overclockers card, not only is it great value at stock and still easily the fastest card on the market, but the overclocking headroom is immense. With stock cooler few people should have problems reaching 1000Mhz/5000Mhz with the right voltages.

What you get hardware wise is 2 lots of 5870 kit on one board, that's a lot of horse power, if you're willing to overvolt and overclock back to 5870 clock speeds, and even further, then it's a beast. It's been out 6 months and in that time we've had entire new line from Nvidia based on their latest technology and still nothing can touch this card at stock, much less overclocked in all it's glory.

it powers my 2560x1600 30" just fine, the only games I've had problems with in 2560x1600 is Crysis Warhead where frame rates where a bit shaky in places with everything maxed, have to dump AA and luckily I cant stand heavy blur in that game and lowering that to be more subtle was enough to maintain playable frame rates.

Depends, if it's a 5970 with the clicking fan I wouldn't own one.

If it came with the Artic Cooling add-on fan I would pay $700 shipped.

See, as much as the aftermarket ac cooling fans do a good job, where does the hot air get dumped? Back into the case! Now, I do have a Cooler master HAF932 so I have every confidence that it would get the hot air out of there. But I had hope that the cooler would have a shroud to direct the hot air out the back of the case. But there's no denying that yes its a beast of a cooler and that it would definitely be worth every penny.

Does XFX still offer their warranty on cards with aftermarket cooling solutions?

I was fine with the $700 I just payed. Sure i would prefer $600 but with a mild oc it's just as fast as 2 5870s and cheaper. Plus leaves me with an extra pci express slot.

On the other hand as of right now i hate this horrible piece of junk Ive been trouble shooting for 2 days now. If a powerd usb hub doesn't fix my display port problems tonight this gigantic piece of crap is going back to the egg. As of right now this headache is not worth the $1800 invested in gpu and screens.

Last edited:
I was fine with the $700 I just payed. Sure i would prefer $600 but with a mild oc it's just as fast as 2 5870s and cheaper. Plus leaves me with an extra pci express slot.

On the other hand as of right now i hate this horrible piece of junk Ive been trouble shooting for 2 days now. If a powerd usb hub doesn't fix my display port problems tonight this gigantic piece of crap is going back to the egg. As of right now this headache is not worth the $1800 invested in gpu and screens.

If you spent 1100 on screens, and didn't buy a native displayport monitor, then you only have yourself to blame. I'd imagine the GDDR5 clockspeed flickering issues just cause major problems with display port adapters.

I pick 5970 around release date. I pay around $650 but i also sold my 4870x2 for $ 275. Total cost of upgrade was $375.

If you spent 1100 on screens, and didn't buy a native displayport monitor, then you only have yourself to blame. I'd imagine the GDDR5 clockspeed flickering issues just cause major problems with display port adapters.

Ya it's totally my fault that the display port adapter ATI list on their website as "eyefinity Validated dongles" doesn't work in eyefinty with their gpu. My bad :rolleyes:

If ATI didn't support adapters then I would take some of the blame and probably would have purchased a diff monitor. But the fact is they say it will work and it doesn't.

But who knows I hope after a quick stop at BB tonight I will be a happy camper. :D

Edit. No 2d flickering issues here, the card idles at 400mhz core. Will Deal with that and OCing once i get everything working properly. Runs like a champ at 2400x600 lol. Anything higher and the display port goes bye bye.

Last edited:
Back