• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5970 Voltage Regs

Loafdogg420

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 2, 2010
Messages
445
I have the Danger Den block on my Sapphire 5970. After overclocking the core to 900 and running furmark, one of my voltage regulators gets to 200 F within 2 min. My other one sits around 130 F. The gpus are no higher than 95 F. I was nervous when I attached the block because I noticed that a chip they tell you to apply thermal tape to isnt touching the copper. Is this where the vregs are on the card? Thanks in advance.

Sorry bout the pics.. digi is broken.

photo2-1.jpg
photo.jpg
 
That chip doesn't get very hot and doesn't require cooling. I've measured the temperature with an IR gun on my 5970 + EK block.

The vregs for one gpu are located above the PLX chip, in the middle of the card, those get cooled best by waterblocks and the stock cooler. The other set is in a vertical arrange to the right of the second GPU. These are the ones that tend to get too hot.

Those basically require TIM and not thermal pads to keep the temperatures under control @ 1.3v with furmark. Since no game raises the temperatures that much, and I only use 1.3v for benching or with crossfire disabled, I've stuck with the safe thermal pads.

I don't know if the danger den block can be mounted with only TIM on the vregs. I've only read about the Swiftech and Ek blocks being used like that. They're so small that I'm not risking it.
 
Back
Top