• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5970 Overclocking results

Ryan5508

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 6, 2010
Messages
211
Just wondering what everyones luck has been overclocking their 5970's

Currently I'm running stable at 950 core / 1150 mem
Brand- HIS
 
on stock Voltage, 800/1150

1.1V 850/1150
1.125v 900/1150(temps get into the low 90s on this setting with furmark / kombustor so I rather just keep it @ 850)

I can't go over 1150 on mem though, weird cuz the ram is rated for 1200
 
I can't go over 1150 on mem though, weird cuz the ram is rated for 1200

We don't know what the timings are on the card, or what timings are used to get the rated speed. I really wish AMD and Nvidia would allow us memory timing control. Add that to voltage control, and you're in overclocking heaven.
 
I have them at 1.162v
Temps have been 35-39c idle and hit 54c (VRM's hit 94C) in the kombuster and around 43-48c in BC2.

Need some free time from work, but i think I will be able to hit 1000 on the core no problem.
 
I have my Vcore at about 1.17v if memory serves, currently at 900Mhz core and 1200Mhz (4800Mhz effective) memory. That is absolutely not the limit though, the temps are very good, the cooler does an amazing job keeping things cool under load at these clock speeds, I've decided not to stress further simply because I do not need the additional power...yet - I will definately re-visit this when I run into FPS problems.

I am using MSIs afterburner, a fantastic tool with custom Vcore settings allowing more than just the "standard" overvolt which a lot of the other OV tools are limited to, the only problem is that it does not have a Vmem control so much more than 1200Mhz (4800) on the mem and I get memory artefacts. However the hardware in the 5970 is the same as from the 5870 and despite a stock 4800Mhz speed on the 5870 it's actually rated for 5000Mhz, so the 5970 should be also, it's just a case of a Vmem bump to hit 5000Mhz mem and above, I just dont want to install another conflicting OV tool...that said does anyone actually know of a OV tool that does both Vcore and Vmem, which allows custom voltages and not preset ones?

Bottom line is 900Mhz core is no where near the limit, I've read about plenty of people getting 1Ghz+ on the core by upping the voltage higher. I think the stock cooler is actually good enough to allow you to get both cores to a respectable 5870 overclock speed which is above 1Ghz core and 5000Mhz mem in most cases. At these speeds the card is a monster, remember you're OCing 2 cores so it's twice the benefit of a regular overclock and these are MASSIVE overclocks we're talking about from 725Mhz to 1000Mhz+ core and 4000Mhz to 5000Mhz memory...this is on top of it being the fastest card on the market.

It honestly makes the GTX480 look like a mid range card :)
 
Back
Top