5970 + Nvidia

Lune

n00b
Hello :)

First of all, I have never ever used Nvidia in my life. (Just 4x GTX 480 to test in 4 way SLI but damn the temperatures were so funny ... water needed).

Now the question is... can I use my 2x 5970 + 480 for PsyX? or 9800 or 260 or whatever is possible.

I read somewhere that its possible with some hacked drivers (Thats why im asking if it works with 480)

Hm.. what does PsyX do anyway? am I gonna see any improvement / extra quality in games? as in FPS? or whatever :p

Also using a single watercooled 5970 for now because of the 3 way Eyefinity ;< Any news on 2x 5970 in Eyefinity? Are they ever gonna fix this problem or whatever it is? ;x

Anyway .. if its possible to use the 2x 5970 ( Or a single one ) with 9800 / 260 / 480 .. will there be any difference in using 260 / 480 instead of 9800 ? (for PsyX) does it depend on how new the card is / does it get better and better with every new card and by how much

Sorry for the dumb questions I really don't know how Nvidia cards work :)

Thanks in advance for whatever answers

1. The 260 and the 480 will preform the same in physX.

2. PhysX doesn't do much pf anything. Sell the cards.

/Thread.

With the exception of one recent beta drivers, you will not be able to use an NVIDIA card for physx if an ATI card is present in the system.

If you have deep pockets and you really want eye candy, go tri-SLI with GTX 480s, buy three 3D monitors, and wait for the soon to be released 3D Vision Surround. That's going to produce infinitely more eye candy than PhysX.

Thanks guys, especially you :)

Going to try it once I get back home.

Also is there any point in doing all that? or is it just for extra scores on benchmarks

No point.

And no extra scores on benchmarks.

You'll get higher 3dmark scores in vantage.. it has physx tests in it.
I had an 8600gt doing physx along with my 4890 doing video, basically because I could, you have to use the hacked drivers though for the nvidia card.
So IRSmurf and Mrnoob are both wrong.

You'll get higher 3dmark scores in vantage.. it has physx tests in it.
I had an 8600gt doing physx along with my 4890 doing video, basically because I could, you have to use the hacked drivers though for the nvidia card.
So IRSmurf and Mrnoob are both wrong.

I have a 5870 and a GTX260-216

I have Cat10.5b (v8.74) and ForceWare257.15 (pre-fixed version)

But as everyone knows the beta drivers don't give you the PhysX control panel like the Mod1.3 patch does

Should I use an old Ageia control panel?

They say it is supposed to be enabled by default with those "bugged" nVidia drivers but Fluidmark1.2 won't allow me to uncheck the "Force CPU-PhysX" checkbox and therefore doesn't say "Hardware PhysX"

Also GPU-Z has the PhysX box unchecked

This sucks because I just spent $123 on a used Geforce and don't want to use old v197 drivers AND a hack!

Is there any way? Thanks for your help, I already tried extending the display

There probably is a registry setting to enable physx in the hidden control panel, but for anyone that want's to know you still need the PhysXmod1.03, even with the original (untouched) 257.15 (256beta) drivers

What we really need is GenL to make a patch for Just Cause2 to enable the CUDA effects

Off topic: Anyone here using http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55C...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276117627&sr=1-1

but the 8700 one? I bought final destination 4 and I cant see any difference between 2D and 3D even tho its working ? wtf is wrong with this shit ;x is the movie bad (as in 3D) I was expecting heads to go outta my TV

Using those http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/776445156/samsung-ssg2100ab

I can only see 3D when I click on some retarded option with 2 people next to each other (next to the 2D -> 3D Option) and then I can adjust the 3D View Point to +5 from 0 (which makes it 3D, the menu pops outta the tv and everything) but the 2 people option thingie is so fucking retarded u see the whole thing twice... like you can see the exact same object 2 times at once.. which is totaly retarded imo

Anyway when I go back to 2D -> 3D option the 3D View Point option turns gray and I can't use it >.>

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
1. The 260 and the 480 will preform the same in physX.

2. PhysX doesn't do much pf anything. Sell the cards.

/Thread.

The first statement is 100% false. Even with just a single 5770 for the main GPU, going from a 275 to a 285 for PhysX led to increased framerates on Batman. See my thread, HD5770 bottlenecked by 9800GT for PhysX. The better your main GPU, the better your PhysX card needs to be to keep up with it. Even with a 285 for PhysX, the 5870 is still slower with PhysX than without, meaning that the 285 is bottlenecking it, meaning there's room for improvement. PhysX scales pretty linearly - more shaders at faster speeds will generally improve PhysX performance. It just comes down to how much it's worth to you personally - do you want to pay $80 for 100fps or $400 for 120fps?

As for the second statement, that's subjective. In the grand scheme of PC gaming, GPU-accelerated PhysX is a tiny amount of the total. However, it can do some neat things. Check out the other thread for examples of what PhysX adds in Batman. If you've ever upgraded your GPU to play a new game, you're the type of person who might be interested in taking advantage of GPU-PhysX. You may not find it to be worth the hassle of keeping a second Nvidia card in your system, or you may find that it adds something worthwhile.

Back