• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

5970 leaked spec

The ABT article was updated (due to contact from AMD) to say that the board was a leaked engineering sample and not final, which means its specs are probably not final. I would expect them to reach the 5870 speeds to be honest, the cooling on these boards always has loads of headroom the fans tend to run at about 30% at max load.

I have a question, I don't know if anyone can answer...these new 8 pin PCI-E power cables, I dont have any on my Antec Quattro PSU only the 6 Pin ones, do these cards come with a converter to add 2 6 Pins into 1 8 Pin or something like that, or does it mean buying a new PSU with 8 pin support?
Yes we did accommodate AMD and removed the benchmarks. I agreed with their reasons; they were put in a very bad spot.

The cards do not usually come with an adapter although you can buy them online. For the past year, i have used my older PSU (6-pin PCIe) with an alligator clip connected to the two uncovered pins and then to a molex ground, for my 4870-X2 and GTX 280. IF you have an otherwise capable PSU, it is a workaround - if not, you can do damage.
 
I wonder why they didn't put dual fans on the 5970? 2 fans usually cools better than 1 in my experience, and it would allow the fans to run at a slower speed while keeping the card cooled.
 
Then you have to deal with a 14-15" card, or one that dumps all that heat into the case...
 
Yes we did accommodate AMD and removed the benchmarks. I agreed with their reasons; they were put in a very bad spot.

The cards do not usually come with an adapter although you can buy them online. For the past year, i have used my older PSU (6-pin PCIe) with an alligator clip connected to the two uncovered pins and then to a molex ground, for my 4870-X2 and GTX 280. IF you have an otherwise capable PSU, it is a workaround - if not, you can do damage.

That sounds...dodgy.

I think i'll be ordering an adaptor then, although the cards should really come with one since PSUs that sport these 8 pins can't be very common yet.

I wonder why they didn't put dual fans on the 5970? 2 fans usually cools better than 1 in my experience, and it would allow the fans to run at a slower speed while keeping the card cooled.

Actually the leaked photos at Hardware Canucks show the 5850x2 (5950) with a dual orb cooler, I dont know if thats accurate or not, but it also shows the same card covered with only 1 fan slot. The cards also sport slits down the side, could these be air vents to aid in airflow around a dual orb cooler? if the 5950 sports one then I should imagine the 5970 cooler is at least as good.

Pics - http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/news/video/ati-radeon-hd-5870-x2-images-surface/
 
I could see a 5970/5870x2 being under 300 watts. A 4870x2 only adds about 100 watts over a 4870 which is less than two 4870 cards which is about how much a 3870x2 adds over a single 3870. 5870 is rated 188 watts so another 100 watts would put it just under the max of 300 watts with a 6 and 8 pin connector plus pcie. ATI cards have been noted to cause problems on EVGA boards because they pull a lot of power through the slot according to an EVGA engineer on XS.
 
Back
Top