• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5970 - Issues with new comp

Halbrium

n00b
Joined
Feb 17, 2010
Messages
30
Just got a new pc with an ati 5970.

Well it took about 10 minutes and I am having what I assume are driver issues! Yay :(

I am using a 3007wfpHC in 2560x1600.

Using the default alienware installed drivers I started getting errors saying "The display drivers have unexpectedly stopped working". Sometimes my screen becomes checkerboard (little boxes pop up all over the screen). This has already caused a few crashes. It's funny because it not when I am in a game (I have only had very limited use of the machine so far but It has not crashed in League of Legends, Portal, or WoW)

It only crashes on the desktop.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers. Got more blue screens, had an issue were Cat Control wouldn't even open, and now it works again, but I have the same issues. Anyone know what might be going on? I am trying to avoid calling AW cause I think they will just tell me to send the PC back and I would prefer to not have to wait another month.
 
many threads about this, in CCC goto setting and them make a profile...name it and save it but dont activate it....

then goto c: - users- yourname- local ati .... until profiles...open with notepad...change the 15700 value for the core to 40000 and the memory clock 30000 to 90000 and save...


then goto ccc and active that profile...problem fixxed...


hope i helpped
 
many threads about this, in CCC goto setting and them make a profile...name it and save it but dont activate it....

then goto c: - users- yourname- local ati .... until profiles...open with notepad...change the 15700 value for the core to 40000 and the memory clock 30000 to 90000 and save...


then goto ccc and active that profile...problem fixxed...


hope i helpped

while that might help, nobody should have to overclock the card in 2d mode (which does not always work) to get a properly functioning card.

ATI needs to a) fix this or b) replace all the cards with this problem

OP - I had the same crap happen with an XFX 5870, exchanged it at the store for a different card, and have not had a problem since. Some of them can't run at standard 2d clocks properly, imo thats a bum card, not something you should be overclocking around.
 
My 5970 will do this from a cold boot, but if I restart my computer it will not occur again. So, I come in from work, boot my computer, then reboot again. It works for me until they fix it. It's like the card needs to warm up a little.
 
many threads about this, in CCC goto setting and them make a profile...name it and save it but dont activate it....

then goto c: - users- yourname- local ati .... until profiles...open with notepad...change the 15700 value for the core to 40000 and the memory clock 30000 to 90000 and save...


then goto ccc and active that profile...problem fixxed...


hope i helpped


I appreciate the reply!

But I have a question? What exactly does this do? Does this hinder 3d performance or lower the life of the card? Does this have to be done with every driver update?

Thanks!
 
I appreciate the reply!

But I have a question? What exactly does this do? Does this hinder 3d performance or lower the life of the card? Does this have to be done with every driver update?

Thanks!

Its a profile change that underclocks your GPU while in 2d mode.. (at least thats what it should be)

This will not effect your performance or hinder your card.
 
I've got a 5970 and I haven't had any issues like that.
 
I've got a 5970 and I haven't had any issues like that.

Do you keep your machine running all the time or do you shut it down long enough to get cold? If I leave mine running I have no issues.
 
I would send the whole damn PC back to Dell....

never had issues like that with mine.
 
My 5970 will do this from a cold boot, but if I restart my computer it will not occur again. So, I come in from work, boot my computer, then reboot again

Funny, I thought I was the only one with cold boot issues with my 5970. My frame rates are terrible until I do a warm boot. Every driver revision, I check to see if that problem has gone away.

Thank god for Win7 and SSD boot up times.
 
I have had the same issues with my Asus and agree that the profile fix is hit and miss. Many have reinstalled the OS to never see it and others have had the profile work. I have done all of the above multiple times and currently am running 10.3 with no profile and it has been rock solid. I use afterburner to set my voltage and change the clocks through ccc, once I get out I drop the memory clock down to get rid of the flicker and move on. I have not seen the gpu clock drop below 400mhz. I have been reluctant to send the card in because of the semi successful results I have had with software which leads me to believe that it will be fixed at some point, not the most comforting feeling after dropping $700 on a video card.
 
Sometimes my screen becomes checkerboard (little boxes pop up all over the screen).

Checkerboard is usually a bad sign (I assume it's the pink boxes). My EVGA GTX 280 FTW edition did this and a few weeks later it died. I would RMA it.


I am just wondering, did you do a clean OS format by anychance when you installed your new video card?
 
I got it new from Alienware. I assume they have a generic CD they use that already has the driver on it. I have uninstalled all traced of ATI and reinstalled.
 
many threads about this, in CCC goto setting and them make a profile...name it and save it but dont activate it....

then goto c: - users- yourname- local ati .... until profiles...open with notepad...change the 15700 value for the core to 40000 and the memory clock 30000 to 90000 and save...


then goto ccc and active that profile...problem fixxed...


hope i helpped

Wanna know whats messed up. I tried these steps, haven't had long enough to see if I can get a crash, but in cat overdrive the current clockspeed during 2D reads 400....BUT in gpu-z it reads 157. Same deal with mem speed. How is this?
 
For what its worth, it seems this issue is pretty widespread.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/ATI-Radeon-Gray-Screen-Crash,9529.html

I have now found countless threads about it on forums everywhere. I have at least read 5-6 posts after only a few minutes of browsing on the ATI forums, about this issue.


I know I can return the PC to dell, I just wish ATI would make some sort of real statment on the matter, rather than chalking it up to a windows 7 update, even if that has done something to change the 2d processing load on the card...
 
I have the Sapphire 5970 and the Dell 3007WFP-HC and never had this problem. I would get in touch with their support and explain what is happening, RMA the card if they will let you, or just RMA the whole PC if you need to, it's not normal for this to be happening.

I think a few people have grabbed bad cards from ATI and kept them and tried using various fixes to keep them running rather than RMAing them, I wouldn't recommend that at all, it's important your kit functions correctly, especially for the high prices we're paying.
 
x3...run my machine 24/7 and never had any issues from Day 1

and I agree that the OP should RMA

If you run your machine 24/7 you will not see the problem. Let it sit overnight and get cold and see what happens when you boot.
 
since its a 5970 and has 2 cores you have to adjust them both, in the file you open scroll down there are 2 sets of core values , you have to change them both

GPU-Z will only read one core unless you use the drop down box to see the other...

MSI afterburner will overclock and apply to both cores , CCC will not....


Some cards lock up when the core and mem are set to low for 2d... the reason they set it so low is to save power...those higher core numbers are not needed for 2d

Yes you can RMA

Mine gets funky in 2d with stock 157/300 i set mine to 550/1000 no probs ever
 
I now have the new card installed....got to hand it to dell, in less than 48 hours I got a new 5970.

Seems to be working well! I will update after few more days! Yay!
 
I brought mine up to 550mhz and have not had a single issue since.
Wow that is great service, goodluck.
 
since its a 5970 and has 2 GPUs you have to adjust them both, in the file you open scroll down there are 2 sets of core values , you have to change them both

Fixed that for you.
 
looks like it was just a faulty 5970, same system, different card...no error. Didn't even change the drivers.
 
Back
Top