• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5970 Borderlands Help

martinje

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 12, 2004
Messages
1,348
Guys help me figure this one out. Im at my brother in laws house playing Borderlands. He has a I7-920 with a 5970. In borderlands after maybe 20 minutes of gameplay, his PC will look up. Its not a complete lock up he can alt tab out but sometimes it is a lock up. I have removed his drivers used drivesweeper and I still get the same result. He has been playing Crysis without issues. Ne1 have any sugestions to try? I also manually adjusted his fan speed to 50% to see if its a heating issue. Anyone else having issues playing Borderlands with a 5970? It's running in crossfire because we do see the ATI logo top right corner. Thanks for any input.
 
Was he running any other card before that one, or is it a new build? If so I'd check and make sure to removed driver residue when removing the drivers. Also what motherboard is it on? Are the chip-set drivers up-to-date?
 
He is running and Alienware Aurora. We went to dell web site and see his chipset drivers where up to date.
 
Boot into Safe mode and remove the drivers and any residue (such as the file and folders they create on the C: drive). If it still gives you problems ask Dell to send a new card. Could just be going bad from some reason.


Edit: What is the Catalyst AI set to? Borderlands is very sensitive to that I have found.
 
15830385.png


Should be set to Standard, but if he is on new drivers, it maybe changing itself. I made a thread about odd problems with the newer drivers. I went back to the old 10.2 I think and have been trouble free and completely happy.

You will need to go into the 'advanced settings' to see it I believe.
 
You know if we click on Disable Catalyst AI the game runs fine without problem! WE played for like 3 hours! the bad thing we loose his crossfire if we disable it! He notice the performance hit right away. Hmm we notice his vertical sync enabled, I disabled it to application controlled hopefully that did it.
 
Last edited:
Damn still crashing so far only solution has been to disable catlyst ai. Any other ideas ?
 
The only other ideas would be going back to an older driver set. Like I said, I am still on the 10.4, because the ~5 - 10% performance gain was not worth the odd problems some of the current driver sets seems to have. As far as I can tell, 10.4 has been completely bug free for me at least. I made a thread about some odd issues I ran into, I'll search around for it.

The other options (that I can think of at the moment) would be to tell Dell you want a new card, or reinstall the OS with out all of that Dell/Alien Ware crap.

Edit: Here is the thread.
 
Last edited:
You know I read lots of good things of drivers 10.4, so last night we downgraded, and BOOM we did it. WE played Borderlands for 2 hours 45 minutes without a single crash. So after lots of testing with drivers 10.6 I could never get them to work with Borderlands for more than 1 hour. (in crossfire enabled) I told him to stick to 10.4 until the next release and see if it makes a difference in Borderlands.
 
Glad to hear! I just checked my driver version and I am on 10.4 as well. I don't know why I though 10.2 at the time, but I'm glad that's what the issue was. Borderlands is a fun game, so enjoy!
 
Back
Top