• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5970+5870 = dominance

JCDenton

Gawd
Joined
Jan 6, 2008
Messages
701


this was with the 3 gpus running at 900/1175, which has the 5870 slightly downclocked on memory speed to the max my 5970 can run at on stock voltage for convenient loading on boot with msi afterburner.

The 5970 alone scored 2126 at 900/1200, so there was a huge gain from adding on the 5870. As an added bonus, the temps on the 5970 were not affected much by adding the cool-running 5870 and as soon as I get fan control over the 5970 I anticipate that the cores could hit 950 all around assuming my corsair HX1000 is up to the task.
 
Nice, I've got a 5870 on the way to pair up with my 5970.

If you set the clocks on the 5970 will it automatically match the 5870 up with those (assuming they are slower than the 5870) or do you have to set both manually?
 
Can you post a screenshot of the crysis benchmark at enthusiast settings @ 1920x1200 4xaa 16xaf? Thanks bud. I'd like to see how far into the 30fps range this set up goes.
 
Can you post a screenshot of the crysis benchmark at enthusiast settings @ 1920x1200 4xaa 16xaf? Thanks bud. I'd like to see how far into the 30fps range this set up goes.

Crysis doesn't have "enthusiast" settings. This setup was killing on "Very High" with my custom config and natural mod though. It may even eventually be better...I noticed a large dropoff in Crysis when moving from Beta 5 drivers to the Dirt hotfix drivers with just my 5970, but the Dirt hotfix drivers are the only ones I can get to work with this 5970+5870 setup. I'll try some warhead later since it seems to have less problems with ATI drivers.
 
Nice, I've got a 5870 on the way to pair up with my 5970.

If you set the clocks on the 5970 will it automatically match the 5870 up with those (assuming they are slower than the 5870) or do you have to set both manually?

No, it's a pain in the ass to set the clocks on these. MSI afterburner was only adjusting the clocks on the 5970, so the ATI CCC has to be used and there ar e problems with saving settings and having them revert. There isn't a good tool for overclocking in crossfireX as far as I know. I'm not sure if the cards will run at the lowest common denominator like SLI or if they will each run to full capacity at the speeds they are clocked.
 
Crysis Warhead showing some nice gains but I think 1GB of memory isn't enough for these three GPUs. The codepath ambush at 1920x1200 2x AA went from 46 to 56 fps with the 5870. The other hardware I have is limiting the GPUs because to go to 4xAA only dropped it to 54fps. There should be more of a difference if they were operating at max capacity in the first test.. 8xAA hits up against the memory limitations, plummeting to 30fps.

Far Cry 2 showed some nice gains, moving from 98.73 average to 152.12 with the addition of the 5870.
 
Back
Top