• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5900XT,s with 2.2ns ram ?

RM_Bulldog

Gawd
Joined
Jan 12, 2003
Messages
697
i just purchased a XFX 5900XT in hopes of getting a card with 2.2ns ram... is there anyone out there who has a 5900XT with 2.2ns ram, and if so how is it ocing?
from what ive read these cards can easily get 475/950! :eek: maybe after a bios flash even a notch faster say 500/975 ill be posting my results so i hope i dont get dissapointed and get 2.8 or 2.5 chips instead of 2.2 the default memory for the XFX 5900XT is 800mhz and some come with 2.2,2.5 and 2.8 ram so gl to me ;) either way ill at least get 800 mhz for mem ;)
 
Yea I wish I had known a little more about this issue when I bought my MSI 5900xt, which shipped with 2.8 I believe and is holding back my oc. Best of luck with yours, though!
 
RM_Bulldog said:
i just purchased a XFX 5900XT in hopes of getting a card with 2.2ns ram... is there anyone out there who has a 5900XT with 2.2ns ram, and if so how is it ocing?
from what ive read these cards can easily get 475/950! :eek: maybe after a bios flash even a notch faster say 500/975 ill be posting my results so i hope i dont get dissapointed and get 2.8 or 2.5 chips instead of 2.2 the default memory for the XFX 5900XT is 800mhz and some come with 2.2,2.5 and 2.8 ram so gl to me ;) either way ill at least get 800 mhz for mem ;)


That 2.2 ns ram would equate to a standard 5900 at 850 stock on the memory, it's exactly whats on my regular 5900.

And it will hit 950 on the ram, just expect the posibility of some desktop artifacting, works fine in games tho.

I had my PNY 5900 (not xt/se) bios flashed to 5950 Ultra bios that pushes the ram to 950, it was fine in games but wound up with some minor desktop artifacting, using coolbits I downed it to 925 for regular daily use and the artifacting went away.

Max overclock on my card with 5950 bios was 510 core, 972 memory.
 
I heard (just heresay) that some people are getting 2.2ns because sales of 5900xt' s are much more brisk than the 5950/5950u so there is sometimes a surplus on the faster ram so it's used for the lower end cards..
 
joemama said:
I heard (just heresay) that some people are getting 2.2ns because sales of 5900xt' s are much more brisk than the 5950/5950u so there is sometimes a surplus on the faster ram so it's used for the lower end cards..

And it would be a very good reason for it. Who in their right mind will pay $350 or more for the 5950 when the 5900xt for about $170 can almost match it? Especially with the GT around the same higher price point?

If board makers were smart, they would do more real-time adjustment of their pricing and they would sell a LOT more. If I had been able to find a 5950 for $250 not too long ago, I sure as hell would have bought it.
 
They could actually mark those XT cards a regular 5900 sience it has the 2.2 ns ram in it, just that it would require using new boxes and new order numbers, simplier just to slap it in and let it go. Anybody with any knowledge would figure out the differance.
 
Sniper_Merc said:
They could actually mark those XT cards a regular 5900 sience it has the 2.2 ns ram in it, just that it would require using new boxes and new order numbers, simplier just to slap it in and let it go. Anybody with any knowledge would figure out the differance.

I think the clock/memory speeds are different, though.
 
The cores on the XT's are rated at 390 MHz, hardly much of a difference between that and a stock 5900 at 400. The memory is the major differance at 2.8 ns and 700 MHz, stock on a 5900 is 2.2 ns at 800 MHz.

When I built a system for my stepdad a few months back I tested my card at the slower SE rated card speeds of 400 MHz core, 700 MHz ram and in the 6 tets I ran it was an average of only 5% differance across the bencmarks. The slighly slower core on the XT is going to make virtually no differance.
 
well the stock memory on this xfx 5900XT is 800mhz so my guess is ill get 2.5ns ram or if im lucky 2.2ns and a 5900XT with 2.2ns ram will oc to 5900 ultra levels
since is basically the same core :)
 
i just love free performance gains... hehe ill be ocing a brand new 3.0C right after im done with this card i will report the news in a few days :)
 
I checked the mem on my MSI 5900xt and all I can find is a Samsung serial #, which I haven't had time to look up online. Anyone know an easy way to distinguish 2.8, 2.5 and 2.2ns RAM?
 
its right on the chip.... look at the last 2 numbers in a series you will see it i got ramsinks on mine so im just gonna OC to find out
 
just got it installed and hit Auto detect and it Oced to 460/940...... :eek: im shure i have just a tad more room to push as i have a 92mm fan helping keep it cool :) but Auto detect is fine for summer :) looks like i did get 2.2ns ram good for me :)
 
so which brand of the 5900xt has a good chance of having the 2.2ns ram?
 
RM_Bulldog said:
just got it installed and hit Auto detect and it Oced to 460/940...... :eek: im shure i have just a tad more room to push as i have a 92mm fan helping keep it cool :) but Auto detect is fine for summer :) looks like i did get 2.2ns ram good for me

Yep sounds like the 2.2 ns ram on that card, thats about exactly what 5900 would auto detect at.

Then again I just plopped down $400 for a 6800 GT ;).

First time I have ever been able to buy a card first Generation right when it comes out. Far Cry is so sweet 1600x1200
 
i ended up maxed out @ 460/965 so for 180 bucks im WAY! happy and the XFX are moslty shipping with 2.2 and 2.5sn chips as the stock speed is 800mhz so if you want a 5900XT id get one fast :) got almost 5950 numbers for about $220 less
 
Back
Top