• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5900 xt vs. 6600gt

LS1-10R

n00b
Joined
Aug 11, 2004
Messages
22
I am doing a little upgrading and have been out of the loop on current technology, plz help :) I currently run a p4 2.4c oc'd to 2.7 and a PNY 5900xt -- 1G of pc3200. My question is, I am buying a new flat panel monitor and my budget only allows for it and either a new p4 3.2e or a 6600gt. Which would be a wiser choice? Would my 5900xt bottle neck the 3.2e or will my 2.7c push the 6600gt enough? Thanks.
 
I'd say grab the 6600GT over the 3.2E, it'd give you a more substantial boost in performance then the extra 500Mhz.
 
If you do decide to go with the 6600gt, it would almost be best to upgrade just a tad more ($20 or so more) to a 6800Nu. However i would definitely get the 6600gt over the 5900xt
 
I guess it all depends on the games you play... what games are you wanting to play?

~Adam
 
I play WoW quite a bit, Far Cry, Doom 3 ...the usual. It runs pretty good but not nearly as smooth as my friends rig (he has a 6800gt.) I just don't know whether to buy a better video card or processor. The 5900XT is a great card! Is the 6600GT that much better? I could o'c the new 3.2 to 3.4-6 and really push the 5900xt.
 
I have the 5900xt and I would personally wait till you could afford a 6800 or a 6800gt.You will be a lot happier in the long run.
 
I suggest the 6600gt, your processor is fine and that 6600gt will run those games well and won't be bottlenecked by your cpu (and if it is, it will barely be so).

~Adam
 
All depends on what resolution you want to run at...

If you are staying at lower resolutions, 1024x768 and lower than I would upgrade the proc...

If you are doing 1280x1024 and above, I would get the 6600GT or one of those Leadtek 6800 Vanillas since they are only like 10 or 20 dollars more at most.
 
I had the 5900 version above the XT and switched to a 6600 GT and can tell you it was a big improvement. I would wait for a week or 2 to see if the 6800 cards will drop in price,it would be quite a bit better than the 6600 . I dont think the 6600 will drop much in price because the new 7800 will be the new top of the line card for Nvidia.
 
If you need a video card asap, go with a 6600GT like this or this, unless you can swing the extra cash for a 6800NU. If the NU doesn't fit into your budget right now, you might consider waiting until the 7800 series is released in a week or 2 and and keep your eye on this.
 
Back
Top