5870 X2 pics!

realistically, who has 3? before all the 3 monitor guys start posting, i know there are some guys here with 3, but how pervasive do you think that is across the gaming community?

Dumbest comment . . . ever. Too much for a single card? Its cheaper than 2x single HD 5870's as-is. Oh and this coming from the person with 2x HD 4870 X2's, what did you pay for those X2's? Stop being a drama queen.

Also, if you don't want to pay that much THEN DON'T !!!

James Joyce over here... I paid $750 for both of my 4870 x2s at a time when 4870 x2 CrossfireX were the fastest thing out there. This configuration is about equivalent with 2x 5870 in Crossfire with some scaling loss depending on the game. So, if I purchase 2x 5870 now, or wait and purchase a single 5870x2, I'll pay something in the same range ($650 - $750) I paid for my 4870x2s almost a year ago -- so, approx. similar performance for the same money across two generations of cards.

I have no problem spending a premium for top-end cards -- but do I expect to get more performance for the same amount of money when stepping up to a next gen video card. For example, when I bought a 6800 GT I paid around $400. When I stepped up toa 7800 GT, I paid $400. The performance increase from 6800 GT to 7800 GT was nearly 2x. This trend has been repeated for me ever since my first Riva TNT.

James Joyce over here... I paid $750 for both of my 4870 x2s at a time when 4870 x2 CrossfireX were the fastest thing out there. This configuration is about equivalent with 2x 5870 in Crossfire with some scaling loss depending on the game. So, if I purchase 2x 5870 now, or wait and purchase a single 5870x2, I'll pay something in the same range ($650 - $750) I paid for my 4870x2s almost a year ago -- so, approx. similar performance for the same money across two generations of cards.

I have no problem spending a premium for top-end cards -- but do I expect to get more performance for the same amount of money when stepping up to a next gen video card. For example, when I bought a 6800 GT I paid around $400. When I stepped up toa 7800 GT, I paid $400. The performance increase from 6800 GT to 7800 GT was nearly 2x. This trend has been repeated for me ever since my first Riva TNT.
that may be what you paid when you got them but the 4870x2 cards were $549 a piece when they came out.

How about an RV870 die shot to spice up this thread?

diapo00618fa9f21903558ac4f27fb650e7.jpg

Umm... An E8400 at 4Ghz doesn't cut it anymore. Don't believe me? Try taking a look through this review which specifically address this question.

That article is @ 3.0GHz, not 4. His 4GHz would still cut it.. and the processor they were comparing it to was a $900+ processor. You match it against the 920 and you will probably have some different results.

realistically, who has 3? before all the 3 monitor guys start posting, i know there are some guys here with 3, but how pervasive do you think that is across the gaming community?

Not pervasive at all compared to all PC gamers...then again, not everyone is looking to run games at [H] settings, so they will never be looking for an x2 in the first place. It's a great option to have, and there is obviously a viable market for dual-gpu solutions as forthcoming hardware leads us to believe.

I've been using 4 1907FP's since 2006...give me more!!!!!!!:D

4z1lax3.jpg

Umm... An E8400 at 4Ghz doesn't cut it anymore. Don't believe me? Try taking a look through this review which specifically address this question.

did you even read that review? As another poster mentioned, the E8400 was at 3Ghz, and when I looked at the tests, there wasn't a single game where the E8400 doesn't deliver playable framerates if the system is CPU limited. Who cares if the i7 delivers twice the framerate at 1024x768 or 1280x1024?

did you even read that review? As another poster mentioned, the E8400 was at 3Ghz, and when I looked at the tests, there wasn't a single game where the E8400 doesn't deliver playable framerates if the system is CPU limited. Who cares if the i7 delivers twice the framerate at 1024x768 or 1280x1024?

Well some people prefer not to spend 600$ on a graphics card and be CPU limited. We'll ignore the frame rate increases at 1920x1200 because it jumps so much more at 1024x768. :rolleyes:

Then what does cut it, so to speak?; and if a 4ghz cpu doesn't "cut it" with a single gpu 5870, then the dual cpu Gpu's must be severely limited, and of NO use. I guess I'll forget about X2 Gpu's then [sarcasm].

Im sure the I-whatever hexacore processors rumored to release at the very first of the year will help releave that bottleneck :). Just glad I went Quad core when everyone was yelling and screaming that games wont use multicore processors for hundreds of years to come (exageration). It should tide me over until the hexa's or maybe even the octa's come out (assuming they do in a timely fashion ;) )

5870x2 is going to be so long. The bigger it is though, the more [H] it looks ;)

How about an RV870 die shot to spice up this thread?

diapo00618fa9f21903558ac4f27fb650e7.jpg

Say now... hey hey. hint hint - nudge nudge.

Just read at FUD that 5870 x2 should "only" be around $500. I'm interested again. If so, I'm in the market for 2 :D

that may be what you paid when you got them but the 4870x2 cards were $549 a piece when they came out.

id bet the 5870x2 will be sold around the same price.. why everyone thinks here in the US we would pay the same as the europeans is a joke.. everything is cheaper in the US then europe when it comes to computer hardware.. so if its 650 over there.. expect it to be far less then 600 here in the states..

id bet the 5870x2 will be sold around the same price.. why everyone thinks here in the US we would pay the same as the europeans is a joke.. everything is cheaper in the US then europe when it comes to computer hardware.. so if its 650 over there.. expect it to be far less then 600 here in the states..

Hoping it is, in fact, $450, but considering there may be no competition from the other side at the time it's released, it may be higher.

There is also the price... 677 euro supposedly in Europe. High... very high, even Ultras were not priced that high, when they were released. I think Ati grew a bit overconfident with those cards, and they might get surprised with GT300, especially if nVidia prices them smartly. Competition is good :D

Yup the 8800GTX released at $599 as well but it was only a single GPU card. Yeah that card was a huge flop... NOT! :rolleyes:

Just read at FUD that 5870 x2 should "only" be around $500. I'm interested again. If so, I'm in the market for 2 :D

If GT300 isn't spectacular you can put me down for a single 5870. More than enough performance for me. It must be nice to have a disposable income to get two 5870 X2s. :p

Realistically? cmon now its because of the lack of enticing incentives. Now the hardcore gamers have Eyeinfinity.
Samsung is already working on a thin bezel lineup. Imagine playing WoW or CoD Modern warfare with all eyecandy turned on .
Speaking of incentives Newegg has some cheap 24" Samsung and Gateway monitors for sale right now under $200. zing.

I'd half expect that thing to rip itself out of the box and yell "I'm the juggernaut bitch!"

Would probably have to cut a hole through the front of the computer case to make that thing fit :p

I'd half expect that thing to rip itself out of the box and yell "I'm the juggernaut bitch!"

Would probably have to cut a hole through the front of the computer case to make that thing fit :p

Didn't you hear about their new cooling solution? Half end sticking out of the case to blow 100% of the hot air out.

ati_hd5870x2_2.jpg

Looks pretty real to me. What part of that looks fake? Seems to be two GPUs on a single PCB design.

Seems to me you would need to put a prop underneath the end so it doesn"t break the damn pci slot off the mobo.

One day I'll invent a local dimension distorter to allow larger graphics cards (>12") to fit into a SFF case. to make ultra portable LANing possible. The good thing is, the local dimension distorter (which is about 1 cubic metre in size) can be distorted to again, make my SFF box portable. Patent pending.

fuck it, if it were that long and gave me crazy performance, I'll drill a hole out the front of my case for it. I want the power!

fuck it, if it were that long and gave me crazy performance, I'll drill a hole out the front of my case for it. I want the power!

Just use a case like mine. Heck the card could be 12 inches longer and it would be no problem for a full tower.

DSC00394.jpg

Back