5870 - Three LCDs

ripken204

[H]ard|Gawd
i am thinking of getting a 5870, i have 3 24" LCDs non with displayport, all are dvi/hdmi.
i do not care about eyefinity, i will only game on one lcd.
when i dont game i want to use 3 LCDs for work purposes.

so two of my monitors will be using DVI.
then for the third monitor, it seems like hdmi wont work? even though i have read from some ppl it is possible... i think they are mistaken..

it is hard for me to find solid info on this, with the active/passive adapters and all.
so please only answer this part if you are 100%, do i need a passive or active DP->DVI adapter for a 24" LCD. again, i don't care about eyefinity gaming.

The third monitor must be run from displayport. Whether you do that with an adapter or buy a new monitor is your choice, but it has nothing to do with gaming or 3D.

Actually that's not quite true. If you don't want to use it for eyefinity (you can still game on 3 monitors with SoftTH) you can keep your old card in your system and use it to drive the third monitor.

yea i tried to do hdmi dp and dvi for my three monitors but it wont work because the hdmi shares with one of the dvi and the DP so if your using hdmi you can only have two monitors. if none of your monitors have a VGA connector, don't spend 100 on the dell adapter. wait for the sapphire one to come out. if the do, buy a 20 dollar vga to DP adapter to hold you over (thats what im doing and i works well. the pick isnt as clear as the DVI but i can wait till the cheaper dvi to dp ports come out)

ya that DP->VGA sounds good for now actually, i can handle spending $20 for now instead of the crazy $100.

Back