• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 thermal compound replacement?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
So who is gonna be the first to slap some good thermal compound on this card and see if it drops the temps any?
 
I've replaced the HS Compound on all my graphics cards i've had since the 6600GT. Always worth it in my mind, providing the HS isn't a pig to remove! My Xpertvision/Palit 4870 has one hell of a HSF on it and replacing the HS compound with AS5 made 7c idle and 8c load difference!
I feel some manufacturers are bad at HS compound, some are good. 8c is the most i've seen from replacing it, usually around 5c though apart from the 3870 Toxic i had, was a mear 2c if that, barely any change and think because it was Sapphire and the 'Toxic' edition it was good to begin with.
 
I've replaced the HS Compound on all my graphics cards i've had since the 6600GT. Always worth it in my mind, providing the HS isn't a pig to remove! My Xpertvision/Palit 4870 has one hell of a HSF on it and replacing the HS compound with AS5 made 7c idle and 8c load difference!
I feel some manufacturers are bad at HS compound, some are good. 8c is the most i've seen from replacing it, usually around 5c though apart from the 3870 Toxic i had, was a mear 2c if that, barely any change and think because it was Sapphire and the 'Toxic' edition it was good to begin with.

Hell even at 5C it would be worth it to me. That can be the difference between stable and not at a high OC. Seems like these cards will clock super high if kept cool. I found if I let them get to hot I get lockups. Even at 975/1300 1.2v if I let it get over 77C it will cause me issues. I can run 1000/1300 if I keep it ~65C. It looks like the 5870 heatsink comes off fairly easy.
 
Would re-seating the heatsink void the warranty?

Depends on the company, XFX says you can replace the heatsink, but if something goes wrong you just have to put the stock one back on and then you can RMA I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus unless there is a seal, how would they really prove you took it off?
 
Depends on the company, XFX says you can replace the heatsink, but if something goes wrong you just have to put the stock one back on and then you can RMA I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus unless there is a seal, how would they really prove you took it off?

XFX allows it if no physical damage occurs. Most of these other companies will void the warranty. If they can tell.
 
Back
Top