• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 Quiet(er) coolers

Megalomaniac

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
2,193
So has anyone spotted a fairly quiet cooler for the 5870. Having seen reports which say that it get as loud as 50+ dB is scary..

or an after market cooler?
 
None yet. I'm sure we wouldn't see any for at least another 2 months. But from reviews I've read at idle its dead quiet and even at load its not too bad...
 
My impressions on the sound are:

-At idle, extremely cool (30c), fan speed is at lowest possible by CCC (20%) in automatic mode.
-At 20% fan speed it's quiet. The only reason I can hear it is because I only have 2x 120mm fans at 600rpm running.

-During games it spools up to around 35% for me. With low volume on my 5.1 I could not tell.


I usually go for aftermarket cooling the second I get my new video cards. Heck for my 4870 the stock cooler lasted 2 days before I ripped it off. But this one is relatively quiet and not an annoying pitch for me.


That said I still looked around a couple of websites to see if anyone was working on something passive.
 
Back
Top