• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5870 Microcenter Online

have you noticed that they have 4870's for $250? Its RETAIL, just like BB... of course they'll mark it up.
 
I bought my 5870 at Frys,a retail store, and it was $399. So, the 459.99 price is not because it is retail. I bought my i7 920 from microcenter at the store, it was $199. Nowhere online has it for that price.

Did you notice their price on the EVGA GTX 295 Co-Op Edition $499. That beats or is equal to most prices online.
 
well microcenter always has high prices for everything but processors. and hard drives.

how do you think they make up the difference, they drive in customers, and trust me a consumer is easily fooled, and some are too smart for their own good, lol/

I work in retail and even if you tell someone that dude don't buy it, they think that I am just saying that because I am sales guy, lol. Than I am like ok go ahead spend another 50 bucks here when you can save that money by buying it from elsewhere.

some dude just grabbed a gtx 285 for 379.99 from frys and the idiot won't get a hd 5870 for another 20 bucks, because he thinks geforce is fast Period. lol, he thought I was trying to upsell him, becuase it paid me more commission, seriously sometime you just feel like kicking them knocking some sense in to them. it was a better buy period, and hd 5870 actually paid me dollar less in commission. I was like whatever.
 
well microcenter always has high prices for everything but processors. and hard drives.

how do you think they make up the difference, they drive in customers, and trust me a consumer is easily fooled, and some are too smart for their own good, lol/

I work in retail and even if you tell someone that dude don't buy it, they think that I am just saying that because I am sales guy, lol. Than I am like ok go ahead spend another 50 bucks here when you can save that money by buying it from elsewhere.

some dude just grabbed a gtx 285 for 379.99 from frys and the idiot won't get a hd 5870 for another 20 bucks, because he thinks geforce is fast Period. lol, he thought I was trying to upsell him, becuase it paid me more commission, seriously sometime you just feel like kicking them knocking some sense in to them. it was a better buy period, and hd 5870 actually paid me dollar less in commission. I was like whatever.

Wow, just shows you that once people make up their mind they really don't care. He was going to get a 285 that day no matter what. So he insisted on paying $55 more for something he could have bought online for $325? And it's slower than a 5850 which is like $120 less than what he paid? WOW! Hehe.
 
What retail store do you work at that still pays comission?

frys, i have only worked there for a year and a half now, and got in to sales after like 6 months, but it is kinda worth it, I switched to part time, and if you hussle hard you can make decent money for being a student and working only three days. but the guys that work with me tell me that there were golden days of working at frys, they said they used to make a hundered dollars like nothing and that was like the easiest thing in the world, lol. but they cut it down alot now, but if you know your stuff you can make decent money, lol. I remember the i7 920 was paying like crazy dollars a few weeks back, and now it is 0, it doesn't make sense sometimes because it is still selling for the same price. Microcenter is commission too, all the sales guys that we have are actually pretty damn good in our store I don't know about others. and they actually are pretty damn honest with customers, when I used to shop there I didn't think that was the case. they don't sell you a evga classified board with a thousand watt power supply and hand you a hd 4650 graphic card, trust me I saw it happen at microcenter one day lol, but I actually know most of the guys there, they are pretty damn straight up too, but you always have that one guy who would do anything and sell anything that comes his way, we got one too, i am not a jackass so I just minded my own business, we tell the customer straight up, why the fuck don't you get a better graphic card, or dowgrade your board and spend the money on a better card, why the hell would you need a classified board with with a 100 dollar grahic card.
 
Last edited:
MICROCENTER WILL PRICE MATCH NEWEGG, ZZF, ETC. caps So you can get them to price match your graphics card and mobo and such, and then take them up on their processor deals and such.
 
Microcenter is all commission too. They give you a sticker to put on whatever you buy. I always make sure to get a sticker from someone before I check out. I worked in car sales and I know what a bitch it is to sell crap, so I figure it's good karma.
 
im gonna have to check microcenter out, they are about 45 minutes from me. the orange county one is atleast.
 
Microcenter is all commission too. They give you a sticker to put on whatever you buy. I always make sure to get a sticker from someone before I check out. I worked in car sales and I know what a bitch it is to sell crap, so I figure it's good karma.

lol, I do the same, I always walk up to them tell them to put their sticker on there, haha, I mean you only realize what the go thru when you have been there, I also get people coming up to me at work sometimes and say hey wanna write this up, lol, it doesn't happen a whole lot. it is also funny sometimes when you see how much some people hate a sales guy, truly funny, we just laugh at it, and not let it ruin our day, the funniest thing is one day early saturday this guy was in the networking aile for 30 mins looking at router, it didn't look like he wanted my help, I was like you know what he looks lost, I asked him if he had a question, he punches the router so hard and leaves, I was like ooh ok. man I get people picking up access points thinking they are routers and they still don't want your help. I would say 90% of the people are cool, and 5% will tell you they don't need help, 5% wont even look at you.
 
MICROCENTER WILL PRICE MATCH NEWEGG, ZZF, ETC. caps So you can get them to price match your graphics card and mobo and such, and then take them up on their processor deals and such.

are you serious, I thought they didn't lol. but I honestly hate price matching, I like to just give my business to whoever has the best deal.
 
are you serious, I thought they didn't lol. but I honestly hate price matching, I like to just give my business to whoever has the best deal.
Is tax considered, or do they price match before tax? Because tax-free shopping is a major selling point for many online retailers.
 
no, but when I built my computer, i got newegg prices for almost everything (the rest MC had cheaper), with 0 day shipping an a place to return it if it was a bad part. I ended up saving about 100 bucks vs all newegg
 
I think they only officially price match cpus. But I have heard that they are very flexible so just try asking for a price match on anything and see what happens.
 
I would doubt that, since there doesn't seem to be much of a point in price matching for loss leaders. :p
 
You could doubt it or you could visit their homepage which states their cpu price match policy. Only some of their cpus are loss leaders.
 
Yeah I've noticed that on CPU's Ram and MB's they have awesome prices. But on video cards :-( what a joke...
 
I think they only officially price match cpus. But I have heard that they are very flexible so just try asking for a price match on anything and see what happens.

Yeah I've noticed that on CPU's Ram and MB's they have awesome prices. But on video cards :-( what a joke...

and this is the case, to be exact.

They officially price match CPU's to newegg's pricing. They'll keep prices on motherboards and RAM somewhat close to newegg (since you're at the store for a CPU most likely, they'd rather you FINISH purchasing all the bare essential components while you're there).

However, video cards they can AFFORD to mark up on, because on top of up selling (something like "well X card can play Y game, thats why its 'price here' ")... plus chances are, again, that you're going to get a CPU since its cheaper than newegg. they slam you with other things like heatsinks.
 
Its a case of supply and demand ..very simple . Demand is high so the price can go up a bit and people will pay it , normally microcenter has great prices and price matches sites online (Fry's doesnt do that for instance) so it makes sens that they are upin the cost .. considering they aren't nearly as big as Fry's they only get a certain cut of the supply and they may end up paying more for it in the process. We can all thank Dell for supply issues on the 5870 .. considering they bought the lions share of them.
 
Back
Top