• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

5870 hissing under load

blbrchnk

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Messages
465
I just installed a new full coverage water block on my 5870 and now when I open up furmark or the heaven demo it makes a hissing noise. It seems to run fine, but I didn't push my luck. At the desktop it doesn't make the sound at all. I reset the block, but it still makes the sound. Anyone know why? Is this a noise I just couldn't hear with the stock fan? Temps seem to be fine.
 
coil whine?

my gtx 260 does it when framerates are REAAALLY high... like thousands.
it actually changes pitch in accordance to current fps.
 
Possibly. I noticed that when I closed the case up and tried it again I couldn't hear it so maybe it was always doing it and I just never noticed.
 
probbably coil whine.. STALKER clear sky used to make my GTX260s squeal like a pair of stuck pigs.. my 5870 does make some very very faint noise when under heavy load.. it's so faint I really have to turn all sound in the office off and listen for it.
 
My 5850 Whined like no ones business running Unigine benchmark I sent it back for a 5870,didnt want to chance it..
 
Back
Top