5870 Eyefinity problem 3 30

Ok so I got XFX on the phone.

They had me try a few things..

1) Boot windows 7 into safe mode and see if the black screen happens.
Answer: It does not. Windows 7 defaults to 800x600 and it had no issues with the monitor going into power save.

2) Use the system with only the 1 monitor plugged in connected via display port. I did this and I still had the monitor going into power save randomly.

3) Change resolutions from the default 2560x1600 to a lower resolution. When I changed it to 800x600 I no longer had the blackouts. As soon as I bumped it up to 1680x1050 the blackouts started occurring. At 1280x800 I did not get any blackouts.

At this point, the XFX guy did not think it was a driver issue. He thought it was either going to be the monitor or the card. Once I get the replacement monitor in I should be able to narrow it down further.

He also wanted me to change the display settings on the monitor to 1:1 so there was no scaling.. It made no difference.

Does a UAC (may need to renable these to check) prompt force your DisplayPort monitor to shut off? I had the same issue, and it was corrected when I installed clean 9.10 catalyst drivers (cleaned out nvidia drivers).

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1461773

Does a UAC (may need to renable these to check) prompt force your DisplayPort monitor to shut off? I had the same issue, and it was corrected when I installed clean 9.10 catalyst drivers (cleaned out nvidia drivers).

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1461773

Hi iceraven,

When UAC pops up the displayport monitor does not shut off. So I think this is a seperate issue.

On a different note, I received a replacement cable from dell today and the picture is all garbled with that cable plugged in. Dell has a real quality control issue with their displayport cables it seems.

I plugged the monoprice cable and the original dell cables back in and the screen comes right up..... but then goes black randomly again...

I even tried doing a clean install of the 9.11 beta 4 drivers and the same issue occurs.

Right now I'm hoping its just the monitor as I have a replacement on the way... I really don't want to go through hoops getting the video card replaced.

Rhyme, I'm having almost the same issue - with or without Eyefinity enabled: whatever monitor is connected to the DisplayPort goes blank randomly. I thought it was just Eyefinity, but even when I just do normal desktop spanning (such as with Crossfire enabled), that DP monitor goes into power-saving mode randomly. It'll come right back up if I change resolutions, however.

Pretty much ruins the entire experience, and I strongly suspect it's an AMD/ATI driver issue based on what the XFX guy had you do to try and resolve the issue (the random blackouts stopping with either Eyefinity disabled or going with a low res).

It really seems to me as if some sort of "sleep" command is getting issued at random intervals for some reason (just like when you select this in the standard Windows control panel).

Please, please keep us updated. This is *incredibly* frustrating.

BTW. I'm running 2 monitors via DVI, and the third via an active DP-DVI converter which was ordered direct from Dell and is known to work just fine with Eyefinity.

Last edited:
Small updates:

If I unplug the DP monitor cable and then plug it back in - the display comes alive. Same if I unplug/plug the USB cable that's powering my DP-DVI converter.

If I turn off the monitor and then back on again - the display comes alive, but only for a while.

I tried turning off DDC/CI in the monitor setup and thought I had fixed it - the display stayed alive for quite a bit longer then usual, but eventually went blank as before.

Maybe something about how Win7 detects display presence with DisplayPort? Hell if I know. This sucks.

Wonder why none of the big Eyefinity reviews picked this up? Maybe it's a bug in the release version of 9.10, and 9.10 beta worked OK? I guess that's my next move: try to roll back to 9.10 beta and see if the prob goes away. If sure *feels* like a software thing. I doubt a true h/w problem could be fixed simply by unplugging/plugging the cable or power cycling the monitor and forcing Win7 to redetect.

Last edited:
Small updates:

If I unplug the DP monitor cable and then plug it back in - the display comes alive. Same if I unplug/plug the USB cable that's powering my DP-DVI converter.

If I turn off the monitor and then back on again - the display comes alive, but only for a while.

I tried turning off DDC/CI in the monitor setup and thought I had fixed it - the display stayed alive for quite a bit longer then usual, but eventually went blank as before.

Maybe something about how Win7 detects display presence with DisplayPort? Hell if I know. This sucks.

Wonder why none of the big Eyefinity reviews picked this up? Maybe it's a bug in the release version of 9.10, and 9.10 beta worked OK? I guess that's my next move: try to roll back to 9.10 beta and see if the prob goes away. If sure *feels* like a software thing. I doubt a true h/w problem could be fixed simply by unplugging/plugging the cable or power cycling the monitor and forcing Win7 to redetect.

Let me know how those beta drivers work for you. Like I said in earlier posts the latest 9.11 beta 4 drivers don't fix it. It is odd that at low resolutions the monitor does not black out on either of our systems.

I think the reason nobody picked this up is because it seems like most people are using 24" monitors. I have a new monitor coming next week and I hope it fixes the issue but I honestly don't think it will. I may be forced to send back the dell 3008wfp because I don't want to eat the expense if it won't work obviously.

Although there are some posts out there saying a new cable fixed their issue. I've been through 3 displayport cables so far and no luck.

I would love to hear some comments from AMD!

Just to be clear. The screen blacks out with eyefinity enabled or having the monitors as 3 separate displays.

The old beta's didn't fix the problem.

Now, when you say most people are using 24" monitors, are you saying that 24" systems (at 1920x1200x3) are working, whereas 1680x1050x3 aren't? (sorry - can't remember what you're running).

I wanted to see how well the whole thing worked before I invested in an additional 2 24" monitors (I'm using a central 24 and 2 19's all running at 1680 for experimental purposes).

Just to reiterate: What setup is *known* to be working with Eyefinity without this damn blanking problem? If it's 3 24" @ 1920x1200x3, then that's just what I'll do.

Last edited:
kinda wierd since amd displayed this on 6x dell 30" so..yeah...maybe its the cable/hardware...

Have any of you having this problem tried movnig the DP monitor to a different position or made one of the other 2 monitors the primary display to see if that does it?
I'm just curious, I don't have eyefinity set up... Yet...

Have any of you having this problem tried movnig the DP monitor to a different position or made one of the other 2 monitors the primary display to see if that does it?
I'm just curious, I don't have eyefinity set up... Yet...

yeah i've changed the DP port monitor to the left and middle displays... I've made it the primary monitor and non-primary monitor and it makes no difference.

UPDATE:

On a whim I decided to order yet another monoprice cable. Except this time I ordered a 6' cable rather than a 10' Cable.

With this new cable I have yet to see a blackout. I've had the system up for about 5 hours now. Previously I would have a minimum of 1 blackout every few minutes.

To give you some history on how many cables I went through:

1st) Cable that shipped with Dell 3008wfp (monitor would go into sleep mode for 1-2 seconds)
2nd) Monoprice.com cable 10' (identical problem as original cable)
3rd) Replacement cable that shipped from Dell (completely faulty -- garbled video)
4th) Monoprice.com cable 6' (Finally fixed the issue ?)

FOUR CABLES!

UPDATE:

On a whim I decided to order yet another monoprice cable. Except this time I ordered a 6' cable rather than a 10' Cable.

With this new cable I have yet to see a blackout. I've had the system up for about 5 hours now. Previously I would have a minimum of 1 blackout every few minutes.

glad it works now.

Wow, please post pictures of your 30" tripple screen setups. I am on the fence as I have a 20x30x20 setup and am dying for eyefinity however I dont wanna spend another two grand to get there :(

Do you have IL2 1946 or any other flight simulators you can show working with eyefinity?

Wow, please post pictures of your 30" tripple screen setups. I am on the fence as I have a 20x30x20 setup and am dying for eyefinity however I dont wanna spend another two grand to get there :(

Do you have IL2 1946 or any other flight simulators you can show working with eyefinity?

Someone didn't read the thread. :rolleyes:

UPDATE:

To give you some history on how many cables I went through:

1st) Cable that shipped with Dell 3008wfp (monitor would go into sleep mode for 1-2 seconds)
2nd) Monoprice.com cable 10' (identical problem as original cable)
3rd) Replacement cable that shipped from Dell (completely faulty -- garbled video)
4th) Monoprice.com cable 6' (Finally fixed the issue ?)

FOUR CABLES!

Wow, that's awesome news! But I can't help wonder why a slightly shorter cable (a digital cable no less) would make a difference. Very strange.

Yeah it makes no sense. I can only assume that all the other cables were defective.

Someone didn't read the thread. :rolleyes:

Don't be a tool, yay I see warcrap pics on page 2, I wanna see some IL2 and OFF pics. Im sick of seeing the same games displaying this awesome feature. Left for dead, COD4 and warcrap, blah blah blah, all Im asking is for some flight sim pics and not microsoft flight sime either. Id love to see some eyefinity IL2!

Well my issue resurfaced, but it's down to once a day after being in remission for a few weeks. Haven't tried the 9.11 cats (and only 2 cables).

I am now having this issue. Just put together 2 3007s and 1 3008 and the 3008 (displayport monitor) keeps going to sleep. Thus happens both in games and on the desktop. This is something I never experienced with my 3 24"ers.

It must have something to do with the resoloution since I'm using the same gpu and displayport cable that I used previously with my 2 2407s and 1 2408.

Now I have the 30"s setup, my 3008 just shuts off randomly & often. It comes back on by itself though (no need to power cycle anything)

WTF???

I don't know how the displayport technology works, but longer cables will always suffer a drop in voltage. I'm guessing that the increased resolution on a 30" screen is causing a drop in voltage and the screen is no longer detected. It would be interesting to see if other folks with 30" screens can replicate the problem with longer cables.

I am now having this issue. Just put together 2 3007s and 1 3008 and the 3008 (displayport monitor) keeps going to sleep. Thus happens both in games and on the desktop. This is something I never experienced with my 3 24"ers.

It must have something to do with the resoloution since I'm using the same gpu and displayport cable that I used previously with my 2 2407s and 1 2408.

Now I have the 30"s setup, my 3008 just shuts off randomly & often. It comes back on by itself though (no need to power cycle anything)

WTF???

my only suggestion would be to try a 6' monoprice cable..

since this is what eventually fixed my issue.

I guess... I just don't get why my Dell cable would have worked perfectly with my 2408 but now is the cause of my issues with the 3008

WTF???

well i have a 20"x30x20" setup and the left 20" is connected via dvi/dell displayport adapter and it randomly shuts off and the message comes up on the screen saying the signal is out of range. Im not using eyefinity, but i play with softth and i usually get the problem when I go from the game menus to playing the actuall game. I can either turn the monitor of and then on or just cycle thru the inputs. Either way makes the monitor work, but it usually does it when i am entering or leaving a game.

Don't be a tool, yay I see warcrap pics on page 2, I wanna see some IL2 and OFF pics. Im sick of seeing the same games displaying this awesome feature. Left for dead, COD4 and warcrap, blah blah blah, all Im asking is for some flight sim pics and not microsoft flight sime either. Id love to see some eyefinity IL2!

Wow who pissed in your cheerios? You asked for pics, and pics were posted. You never specified a specific game in your original post. Don't be such a dick.

I guess... I just don't get why my Dell cable would have worked perfectly with my 2408 but now is the cause of my issues with the 3008

Just out of curiosity, does your cable seem to be less snug on your dell 3008 vs your 2408?

I noticed that on my fourth cable it seemed to have a tighter fit. I'm grasping at straws I know... but that's the only difference I noticed with my latest cable...

It would be really bad if there were rampant problems with cheaply manufactured displayport cables. I've never had a bad DVI cable.

Just out of curiosity, does your cable seem to be less snug on your dell 3008 vs your 2408?

I noticed that on my fourth cable it seemed to have a tighter fit. I'm grasping at straws I know... but that's the only difference I noticed with my latest cable...

Cable fits in there pretty snug...

I would highly suggest playing in Portrait mode, it is a billion times better immersion factor, your jaw will hit the floor when you see 3 - 30" flipped upright in Portrait :eek:

Would be a sweet 4800x2560 res :cool: I currently game in Portrait on my 3 - 24", and have gone back and forth between this and Landscape, the whole month of October, trying to get comfortable with my Eyefinity setup, and I am keeping Portrait for sure, no way going back to Landscape, it is way too wide, and silly, you have to really turn your head left and right to see the whole thing, and the immersion factor is not as great, but once in Portrait is night and fucking day better than Landscape, especially with 30" displays, that's the perfect size for Portrait.

Please flip your 30" beasts in Portrait and try WoW then, take some pics and post them, curious what you think. I bet you like and keep it. :) Just make sure you have a clean pair of underwear ready, because you will be shocked of the difference once in Portrait, is totally different and better than Landscape times a million.

Here are mine playing WoW;
photoee.jpg

photo6.jpg

Hmm.... I think I'm going to give it a shot!

Woops, the default dell 3007 stand doesn't not allow for rotating to portrait mode... I'd have to pick up two new stands for the 3007 to make this possible.

Last edited:
Really? Both my 3007s flip to portrait but I can't firgure out how to flip the 3008...

Really? My 3007s are over 3 years old... I wonder if the stands have changed..... or I'm seriously missing something. Yeah i don't think the 3008 rotates either...

Last edited:
I think you just need to unscrew the monitor from the stand and remount it basically to go portrait on all 3...

Too bad it doesn't have the same mounting mechanism as the 07. I have a spare 2407 who's stand I could swap out if it did...

Just wanted to put a brief update here:

After I got the new cable, a couple weeks later the monitor would start going into power saving mode again. To fix it I would unplug the monitor for a good few minutes and then plug it back in and the problem would stop for about a week or so before it started back up again. I still had a replacement order from dell that I was waiting for...

I just today received the replacement dell 30" monitor! So far so good. I immediately noticed that this is a new revision A03 (vs A02). It took 2 months to ship it to me so I'm hoping this new revision had some fixes for the displayport issue (and perhaps this is why it was delayed so long).

I'll update you all if the problem resurfaces with this new hardware revision.

hi guys...

Just wondering how you are all getting on now with the eyefinity blackout? I am running 3 dell 22" monitors with eyefinity myself, and randomly get blackouts. I have done EVERYTHING that is currently going, including the link above this regarding updating the BIOS :mad:

hi guys...

Just wondering how you are all getting on now with the eyefinity blackout? I am running 3 dell 22" monitors with eyefinity myself, and randomly get blackouts. I have done EVERYTHING that is currently going, including the link above this regarding updating the BIOS :mad:

I've been posting here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread....post1035215467 and also here: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=139945&enterthread=y

I can't get solid information from anyone at the vendor or from Asus. The vendor claims that they havent seen this problem reported before - so if so - that means there are batches of defective cards out there that need to be RMA'ed. This is especially true since there appears to be no bios updates for some of the vendor's cards, and even with the new 10.9 drivers it still happens.

I would like to know if there are different revisions of the card itself or the reference card design from AMD - but I don't think we can find that information out... unless someone has seen multiple cards with different revision numbers from the same vendor with the same model number. I am assuming only those dealing with larger quantities of the card will have noticed that.

I have feeling that its either a defective card, or defective design - either way AMD and the vendors wont speak up on this and seem to be handling it on a per-customer basis to reduce the number of RMAed cards. Are you still having the problem Slinki?

HP

Dell is going to send me another 3008wfp... Should have that within the week hopefully...

If that doesn't work I'll go after XFX.... I can't seem to find a telephone number to call them for tech support. You can only open up a ticket on their website. I was expecting at least a 1-800 number to call. They must have it hidden away somewhere.

Anyone ever done an RMA through XFX? Will they do advance exchange?

Buy an expensive Displayport cable from Apple that they recommend for apple cinema 30" panels. Enjoy your new & improved abscense of sleep mode!:D

edit: nvm i see you've already gotten another cable and fixed your issue. Cheap cables are abound in the wild out there. Increasing the lenght of the cable doesnt help. Your monitor was just losing connection. I've heard impressive statements about the apple cables - which supposedly are of the highest quality.

Glad to hear you fixed it up. FYI I suspected your cable from post 1 all along. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've seen a number of threads like this. Kyle, PHONE AMD! :p

Last edited:
Apologies in advance for bring this back but I am having the same exact issue. I have three Dell U2311H IPS dispays in portrait mode that I switch back and forth between eyefinity and regular extended. I have a 1gb 5770 that powers these. The left monitor is hooked up via DisplayPort cable from newegg. The middle and right monitors are hooked up using DVI. The middle monitor eventually goes to sleep overnight while in eyefinity mode and won't come back out of it until I change my profile. Ati drivers are fairly new.

Back