5870 Eyefinity 6 Specs, Videos

Svengali

Limp Gawd
HotHardware has specs for the ATI Eyefinity 6 version of the HD5870, as well as a trio of videos that show off L4D2 and HAWX on a single HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition.

Specs:
Compute Power: 2.72 TFLOPS (same as 5870 reg.)
Core Clock: 850MHZ (same)
Stream Processors: 1600 (same)
Memory/Frame Buffer: 2GB/4.8Gbps (+1GB/same)
TDP: 228W Max load/34W Idle (+40W/+7W)
Max res: 6x 2560x1600 (+3 displays)

Source:http://hothardware.com/News/Some-Fun-With-A-6Screem-ATI-Eyefinity-Configuration/
Original 5870 specs:http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5870/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5870-specifications.aspx

Last edited:
Yep, just double the ram and the 6 outputs. It'll come with software voltage control, so you'll be able to push the speed with proper cooling.

I would rather see some games in a 5x1 configuration. The 3x2 with the bezels in the middle is kinda weird. a 5x1 would rule!

I think one of the bigger questions is more likely - how well does it handle gaming in 3 monitors with AA and such cranked up :)

3x2 for FPS is fail. AMD/ATI really needs to rethink this one. Bezels in main view of your binocular vision just doesn't make sense. Bezels are okay in your peripheral view because your brain puts the pieces together, but if they are in your main line of sight it messes with your ability to aim.

3x2 for FPS is fail.

Ya I'm not liking the layout of the 3x2 setup. Although maybe I can try running this on 6 of my projectors and see how that works. Wonder if I can take 4 projectors home from work :eek:

So when will this be available?

I was still hesitating to get a 5870 because they are almost nowhere to get and then they are like 370 Euro.

Would crossfire 58xx series power 6 displays ?

Seeing that a single 5850 or 5870 has a hard time pushing 3x 24" panels, I see no point to the 5870.6 DP card. Wouldn't there be a huge performance hit and you'd only be able to play source games?

Seeing that a single 5850 or 5870 has a hard time pushing 3x 24" panels, I see no point to the 5870.6 DP card. Wouldn't there be a huge performance hit and you'd only be able to play source games?

The big deal with this card isn't the 6 outputs, but the 2GB of V-RAM. That itself might raise performance at least 20% when using 3 1920*1200 monitors, according to a slide at Beyond3D that's attributed to AMD. Though, you're still going to need two to get top notch performance at high settings.

Last edited:
You can run as many displays as you can get outputs. You could do 6x on 2, 3, or 4 cards and run up to 24 displays... but you can only game (eyefinity) on one card. So if you want more than 3 displays in game, you will need the Eyefinity6 card.

The big deal with this card isn't the 6 outputs, but the 2GB of V-RAM. That itself might raise performance at least 20% when using 3 1920*1200 monitors, according to a slide at Beyond3D that's attributed to AMD. Though, you're still going to need two to get top notch performance at high settings.

Hmmm so the extra memory will only help on AA and AF - which doesn't mean that much at 1900x1200 and up in resolutions?

Or am I reading it wrong?

so will the card be released tomorrow? or is it just that the NDA expires tomorrow?

wow.. impressive a single card can push that... I wonder how much just double the mem would help some of the performance issues I am running into with my solo 5870... hmmm... I'm more curious now about getting a 2gb card over another 1gb card for crossfire..

if the max watts are 228 un OC'd thats mean it will have a 8+6pin config?

I'm pretty sure it's official that it has 6+8 power. Not sure where I read that though...

I'm guessing the NDA will expire tomorrow, but we won't see the card for at least another week. But I'm watching and ready to buy.

Hmmm so the extra memory will only help on AA and AF - which doesn't mean that much at 1900x1200 and up in resolutions?

Or am I reading it wrong?

Why would you think AA doesn't help above 1920x1200? You still sit just as close to 3x24" as you would a single 24", so jaggies that are noticeable at 1920x1200 are still exactly the same at 5760x1200.

Resolution doesn't reduce the appearance of jaggies, the visible size of the pixels do. So sitting further away == less noticeable jaggies. Smaller dot pitch == less noticeable jaggies. Resolution is only a part of the equation.

I have Crossfired 5870s currently, in my EyeFinity (3x24") there is trouble running AvP in Dx11 with all the bells and whistles. In Dx9 mode....smooth as silk.

So the extra RAM might be helpful, I'd like to see what two of these could do with a three monitor set.

Someone asked if Crossfire 5870s could run 6 monitors in EF.....no, only three.

I have Crossfired 5870s currently, in my EyeFinity (3x24") there is trouble running AvP in Dx11 with all the bells and whistles. In Dx9 mode....smooth as silk.

So the extra RAM might be helpful, I'd like to see what two of these could do with a three monitor set.

Someone asked if Crossfire 5870s could run 6 monitors in EF.....no, only three.

you need to update to 10.2 HF, at least that fix my stutter issue in AvP in DX11..

before that, if I turn up 4xAA it gave me like a mini stutter every once awhile, but the update fixed it....

on the Eyefinity mode, you are right, it needs MORE VRAM... 1GB is NOT enough..

you need to update to 10.2 HF, at least that fix my stutter issue in AvP in DX11..

before that, if I turn up 4xAA it gave me like a mini stutter every once awhile, but the update fixed it....

on the Eyefinity mode, you are right, it needs MORE VRAM... 1GB is NOT enough..

I'm using 10.3 beta...........and it aint stuttering.........it's a slide show.:eek:
I can run DX11 on a single screen all day long, maxed out, smoothly, EyeFinity.........not so much.

I'm using 10.3 beta...........and it aint stuttering.........it's a slide show.:eek:
I can run DX11 on a single screen all day long, maxed out, smoothly, EyeFinity.........not so much.

haha.. guess its time to move on to 2GB model whenever it comes out... :D

Are you sure you haven't just whacked your AA up too much? I've found in Dirt2 and BC2 that you can tell exactly when you run out of VRAM. Increasing the AA by one level drops you from 60 fps to 2fps.

Are you sure you haven't just whacked your AA up too much? I've found in Dirt2 and BC2 that you can tell exactly when you run out of VRAM. Increasing the AA by one level drops you from 60 fps to 2fps.

I only have it set on 2X......but maybe the CCC edge detect setting are over-riding that?
I'll have to check that out.
Thanks.

Need BC2 before/after numbers

Back