5870 + Displayport = No Boot

RadXge

2[H]4U
I bought a brand new 10FT displayport cable on eBay and my computer does not boot when the displayport cable is connected to my Dell 2709W monitor.
The fan blows at full speed and error F7 is displayed on my EVGA X58 SLI motherboard. I also noticed long beeps at around 25/26. This indicates a graphic card or display error.
Everything works fine when DVI is being used.

This guy had the same issue.
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=127563

Any comment?
Any recommendation for a 10FT displayport cable?

I just ordered the monoprice 10' displayport cable.
The eBay seller has agreed to take back its (defective?) cable.
I will post and update when I will receive my new cable.

First time ever that I encounter a problem with a cable.

anyone check into the cable length that youre allowed for displayport?

My saga with displayport is finally over! :D

I have replaced my original 10FT displayport cable from BargainCell by a 10FT DP cable from Monoprice. Unfortunately, I still had the same problem (no boot and video card fan running at full speed).
I had the idea to use DVI, remove DP cable from video card and insert it back in Windows.
The following message showed up:
The system has detected a link failure and cannot set the requested resolution and refresh rate on your DisplayPortTM display. Your display might not support the requested resolution or there may be an issue with the cable connecting the display to your computer

Then, I have contacted the video card manufacturer, ASUS, and they quickly sent me a replacement unit (BTW, great job ASUS!).
However, the issue remained.

I was about to go crazy when I ordered a third DP cable, 6FT made by Startech. And it worked!!!. The DP cable was the problem all along.
My theory is that the 5870 DP compatibility is finicky with longer DP cable (10FT+) .

hi sorry to bump this old thread but I am having exact same issue. I have 5850 if I put in displayport cable before I turn on comp, it wont boot, give a few bios beeps and video card fan blowing full speed. If I plug in the cable after the computer is booted, it will work however I get a catalyst error saying "DisplayPort Link failure"
The cable I bought was the 6ft one from monoprice
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=5987
I see you said you bought one from Startech but those seem very expensive.
Anyone have any ideas? Besides this thread, a google search turned up nothing.

I bought a brand new 10FT displayport cable on eBay and my computer does not boot when the displayport cable is connected to my Dell 2709W monitor.
The fan blows at full speed and error F7 is displayed on my EVGA X58 SLI motherboard. I also noticed long beeps at around 25/26. This indicates a graphic card or display error.
Everything works fine when DVI is being used.

This guy had the same issue.
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=127563

Any comment?
Any recommendation for a 10FT displayport cable?

Display Port is very high frequency and bandwidth, low quality cables will cause signal issues. Especially considering there are many mode changes with daily computing, you might run into training problems with crappy stuff. It's not like good old school VGA where the image just gets blurrier :p

Display Port is very high frequency and bandwidth, low quality cables will cause signal issues. Especially considering there are many mode changes with daily computing, you might run into training problems with crappy stuff. It's not like good old school VGA where the image just gets blurrier :p

yeah sure but, failing to boot?Somethings not being put into high impedance correctly if wonky bits on an external bus are causing a failure to boot.

AMD's output multiplexer is switching at such an enormous frequency it must have trouble keeping up with the Display Port specs. If both the cables you were using previously were in DP spec, then technically that means your card is out of spec, and if both your returned card and the card you received is out of spec, technically the whole damn lineup is out of spec. I guess AMD needs to put an asterisk beside "DisplayPort" on their boxes. :p

Mind you, its not like the industry isn't familiar with this: the number of cables that claim Cat-6 compliance that are in fact just re-branded cat-5e cables is astonishing.

I too have a 10ft Monoprice DisplayPort cable and cannot use my Dell u3011 or u2711 monitors with the DisplayPort connection on my ATI 5970. The PC will not boot. If I plug in the DisplayPort connection after the PC has started up then it works. If I use a mini DisplayPort to DVI connection that will work but it will not support the 2560x1600 resolution of the new monitors.

I noticed that the PC will not beep on boot up if the mini DisplayPort connection is connected to a display with a DisplayPort. Like the video card is locked up. ??? I was using a mini DisplayPort to DVI and that has always worked. If I leave everything connected and unplug the power to the monitor it works. Also, even if there is no power to the PC it beeps when I plug in the DisplayPort cable.

It really seems like it would be the card or motherboard though. On my setup I can tell the PC is not going to boot with the monitor and PC off. With no power to the PC and the display off the motherboard beeps like on power up but there is no power. I think this leaves the card in a funky state and it will not start when the actual main power is applied. Is there some part of the spec that lets the video card talk to the display when both are off? Moreover, why is my motherboard getting power from the DisplayPort of a monitor that is off? Someone messed up.

Last edited:
I have this same exact problem with my xfx 6850 to dell u2410 displayport, 6' cable from monoprice

With displayport cable hooked up to monitor, computer will not boot, evga mobo gives bios message FF

Without cable hooked up, boots, can hook up displayport cable and it works fine, reboot, it hangs at FF

Update:

New cable, computer can now reboot fine, but still wont start from cold start

Tried new videocard, same exact result

If i turn the monitor off (with cable hooked up) and start the computer, it will start but then i am not able to turn the monitor on unless i unplug the power for a bit and replug it.

Any ideas?

There are tons of Display port issues like that, I myself have had issues with my own 5870 and Display Port (it'll work and then the monitor won't wake up from sleep).
I think it is a driver based problem that has yet to be resolved. It really turned me off to eyefinity.

I didn't think DP was that sensitive. The one I'm using (monoprice 10') has almost completely snapped off from where it hooks up to my 6950 from moving my huge tower around and itstill works. If I move the tower around it loses the signal and I have to press it back in. This reminds me I need to order a replacement:D.

no, i bought them used so they did not come with the cable, anyone got one they could sell me/ :)

I just installed a new 6850 and decided to use displayport to connect to my dell 2709w. Im using the oem cable that came with the monitor and everything works fine, except that i get the "link failure" message every time i wake my monitor. Anyone else have this problem?

Ok, everything works fine so ive just set it so that the error doesnt pop up anymore.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm a first time poster. I discovered this thread while I was researching a different DisplayPort problem, having to do with certain Dell monitors such as the 30" U3011 not being able to wake up after the DisplayPort input goes into sleep mode. I still haven't come up with a solution to that problem.

Anyway, I do know why you are having so much trouble with the MonoPrice DisplayPort cables, as well as those from some other vendors. The problem is that these cables don't follow the DisplayPort guidelines, which require that pin 20 be left unconnected. This is essential, because pin 20 supplies power to external devices, and is provided by any device with power, including computers and monitors. If you connect two powered devices via pin 20, all sorts of bad things can happen as both try to control the voltage on the line. If your monitor or computer is off and the other device isn't, the powered device will try to provide power to the unpowered one via your DisplayPort cable! If you check the official cable that comes with your monitor, in the cases where one is provided, pin 20 will not be connected. Pin 20 is easy to identify, as it's the one that's next to the part of the connector with a 45 degree angle.

I ordered a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from MonoPrice and it did have continuity on pin 20, which caused problems for me. I informed them about the issue, and provided references (see below), but so far they have not pulled the cables from their site, and even tried to replace my cable with another of the incorrectly designed cables. Perhaps if more of us express our opinions to them, they will finally issue a recall. I've wasted lots of time with this issue that I really didn't have to waste, so it irks me that they are dragging their heels about doing something to correct this situation. Up until now, I've been a big fan of their products.

Here are the references that I promised. The first is the official DisplayPort web site's FAQ:

http://www.displayport.org/consumer/?q=content/faq

Q: Why isn’t there a wire on pin 20 (POWER) on the standard external DisplayPort cables?

A: The reason power isn't included in standard cables is because both source and sink devices are designed to provide power. Captive, attached cables often include the power wire. If it is desired, for example, that a particular source device utilize the power available from the mating sink device, then that Source device could include an attached or dedicated cable that carries the DisplayPort power signal. Same could be applied to a sink device.

The second is a warning notice from NEC:
http://www.necdisplay.com/cms/documents/UserManuals/DisplayPort_Notice.pdf

I sincerely hope that this message saves somebody from going through the same trouble that I have.

Hi, I'm a first time poster. I discovered this thread while I was researching a different DisplayPort problem, having to do with certain Dell monitors such as the 30" U3011 not being able to wake up after the DisplayPort input goes into sleep mode. I still haven't come up with a solution to that problem.

Anyway, I do know why you are having so much trouble with the MonoPrice DisplayPort cables, as well as those from some other vendors. The problem is that these cables don't follow the DisplayPort guidelines, which require that pin 20 be left unconnected. This is essential, because pin 20 supplies power to external devices, and is provided by any device with power, including computers and monitors. If you connect two powered devices via pin 20, all sorts of bad things can happen as both try to control the voltage on the line. If your monitor or computer is off and the other device isn't, the powered device will try to provide power to the unpowered one via your DisplayPort cable! If you check the official cable that comes with your monitor, in the cases where one is provided, pin 20 will not be connected. Pin 20 is easy to identify, as it's the one that's next to the part of the connector with a 45 degree angle.

I ordered a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable from MonoPrice and it did have continuity on pin 20, which caused problems for me. I informed them about the issue, and provided references (see below), but so far they have not pulled the cables from their site, and even tried to replace my cable with another of the incorrectly designed cables. Perhaps if more of us express our opinions to them, they will finally issue a recall. I've wasted lots of time with this issue that I really didn't have to waste, so it irks me that they are dragging their heels about doing something to correct this situation. Up until now, I've been a big fan of their products.

Here are the references that I promised. The first is the official DisplayPort web site's FAQ:

http://www.displayport.org/consumer/?q=content/faq

Q: Why isn’t there a wire on pin 20 (POWER) on the standard external DisplayPort cables?

A: The reason power isn't included in standard cables is because both source and sink devices are designed to provide power. Captive, attached cables often include the power wire. If it is desired, for example, that a particular source device utilize the power available from the mating sink device, then that Source device could include an attached or dedicated cable that carries the DisplayPort power signal. Same could be applied to a sink device.

The second is a warning notice from NEC:
http://www.necdisplay.com/cms/documents/UserManuals/DisplayPort_Notice.pdf

I sincerely hope that this message saves somebody from going through the same trouble that I have.

Wow, very interesting. I had a DisplayPort cable from Monoprice that only worked right for a month or so. Fortunately when I bought one of my monitors for Eyefinity the guy threw in a DisplayPort cable so I had a backup when my Monoprice one failed.

Wow. I thought it was just me. I have a 6950 and I was using a mini-display port cable to displayport which I bought from monocable. Half the time my PC would not start. All my stuff would turn on and the 6950 would go full throttle on the fan but no display. I changed to a DVI cable and haven't had the problem since. Displayport can sure do picky...

Back