5870 + Displayport issue

iceraven

n00b
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
32
I seem to be experiencing an issue with my 5870, which only happens when connected via Displayport. There are two instances, which result in the monitor going into powersave and display no source for a few seconds before restoring. The other two monitors I have connected via DVI at the same time do not run into this issue. All settings on the control panel are currently default.

1) Anytime UAC prompts for admin approval (displayport loses signal for a second)
2) Random intervals during gameplay

I am currently running the following system:

Windows7 x64 RTM (clean MSDN install, not upgrade)
Q6600 @ 2.4
8GB DDR2 (4x2)
150Gb Raptor (no other hdd)
SATA DVD-RW
XFX 5870 (not overclocked)
Corsair HX520

Displays Connected:
Dell 2007WFP (DVI) 1680x1050
Dell 3008WFP (DisplayPort) 2560x1600
Dell 2408WFP (DVI) 1920x1200

Initially I suspected the powersupply to be the issue, but it should be fine for what I'm currently running. I then noticed that UAC prompts also caused the loss of signal while under zero load.

I've tried the following to resolve the issue already:
1) Drivercleaner + Update to 10/13 drivers
2) Used Displayport on the 2408 instead of the 3008, issue then occurs on the 2408

I'm beginning to wonder if this could be an issue with my DisplayPort cable or the card itself as I haven't seen similar reports yet.

Any suggestions on what else I might be missing? Should I go ahead and try a different power supply?
 
I had the same exact issue as you do with your 5870 and the Dell 3008wfp. It turns out my problem was the displayport cable bundled with the monitor. I went on monoprice and bought a new cable. Problem solved :)
 
Last edited:
Displays Connected:
Dell 2007WFP (DVI) 1680x1050
Dell 3008WFP (DisplayPort) 2560x1600
Dell 2408WFP (DVI) 1920x1200

Are you using EF for 3 monitors in a standard setup or grouped as one? I thought EF doesn't allow different resolutions to be grouped for the time being (reason I ask).

Anther question I'd like to know, can your 3 monitors be set to 1680x1050 resolution and grouped? Even if 1680x1050 would look like crap on a 30" LCD.

Anyways, hope a new DP cable fixes your problem.
 
I'm currently using a DisplayPort cable that came with one of the monitors (probably the 3008). I'll try swapping it out with one from Monoprice and see if that fixes everything.

I'm not running them with EF, just happened to have purchased the three over time. I had no problem grouping them at 1680x1050, but like you mentioned it really isn't worth it.
 
If the random intervals during games are happening often enough for you to notice if they stop, try disabling UAC and see if that has any effect.

When you first power on the machine, where does the POST stuff appear first? On the DisplayPort or on another display? On all at the same time? I only have two displays - one DVI and one HDMI and at power on they're mirrored.

I have some vauge idea that the way UAC deals with displaying messages inside a user mode process is weird. I wonder if it's not reverting things back to how the video card is at boot - possibly mirrored mode - and then the driver is realizing that isn't right and re-fixing it like it does when it loads during the boot process. That might cause the blanking and then coming back. How does what you see compare to how the 30 behaves connected via DisplayPort right after you power the machine on?

Could be I'm over thinking this and a cable change fixes you too - but it's so strange a cable would work just fine and have an issue so reproducible - doesn't seem like a cable problem even if a cable change actually fixes it you know?
 
At post, the monitor connected to one of the DVI connections is off. The second DVI and the DP monitor are mirrored.
 
I'm currently using a DisplayPort cable that came with one of the monitors (probably the 3008). I'll try swapping it out with one from Monoprice and see if that fixes everything.

I'm not running them with EF, just happened to have purchased the three over time. I had no problem grouping them at 1680x1050, but like you mentioned it really isn't worth it.

I got mine from monoprice and it took care of that exact issue like I mentioned above. Let me know what happens. I hope that takes care of it. The cable that came from monoprice looked to be a better quality cable than from dell.
 
Update: Installed the new drivers from this week (9.10) and the problem was resolved without swapping cables.
 
Hi iceraven. I'm running a similar setup to yours (5870 connected to a dell 2408wfp via DP <pri>, dell 2407wfp via DVI and 1907FP via DVI) and have experienced this issue where if i switch off my 2408, my other 2 monitors will go into standby mode as well. What's more, any windows that i had opened in my 2 other monitors will be thrown back onto my primary display (2408). It seems like once the DP monitor is off, the card no longer detects that's plugged in and somehow forgets the whole desktop setup. Once the monitors are all switched on again it reverts back to the correct settings but the original window positions are "forgotten".

Have you had this problem with your setup? Thanks.
 
I had an issue when just setting up my displayport monitor. At first would not display output. It was the cable but I didn't know that at the time. It seemed thoroughly seated but it wasn't. Extracting ,and reinserting both ends of the displayport cable solved my problem. Just something basic to double check.
 
Had this same issue with my dell 3008wfp... replaced the cable and it got better.. still happened every once in a while.... unplugging the monitor for a minute and plugging it back in to reset it would fix it for a week or two..

just got a new dell 3008wfp to replace it (REV A02 ---> REV A03) and haven't had the problem since.
 
Back
Top