5870 display blinking

Sora21

n00b
Hi
On thursday a problem started on my computer
i have a windows 7 64-bit system with and an eyefinity setup through 2 dvi and 1 display-to-dvi adapter connections.(the display adapter is single link. i had bought a dual link one from saphirre -with 100$- which was mulfunctioning. anyway...)
Since i bought the single link adapter(it has been about 5-6 months) i haven't had any problems until today.
when i was playing a game(need for speed hot pursuit) through eyefinity setup the monitor through the displayport adapter turned off and recovered within 3-5 seconds.this happened today about 4-5 times
this had happened again few times in all these months but that was just it.nothing more happened.
today after i closed the game the secondary monitors started blinking.only the secondary not the primary
when i say blinking i mean some flash-noises in the bottom half of the screen.the monitor does not turn off nor the display changes. just the pop up noise.
i tried to change some settings and found out that the problem is not on specific monitors. for instance even if i turn off the displayport-adapter monitor the one of the two left keeps blinking.so i guess its not the adapter causing the problem i have also seen that the blinking tends to happen on the two(or one) secondary displays(i dont use an eyefinity group constanty, i just use it when i want to play a game)
the primary display seems to not have the problem,whichever monitor i set as primary
of course i tried restarting etc
i also tried the new catalyst 11.4 early version
,after uninstalling 11.2 which i previously had
there i found out that while catalyst was uninstalled the blinking stopped
either way the blinking starts after i log in to my user account, and while catalyst was uninstalled (after the reboot)the blinking stopped to both displays(the third one couldnt operate without catalyst of course)
after log in as soon as i re-installed catalyst the blinking started again,without even enabling the third monitor(with the displayport)

thnx for your time and please someone help
i havent been able to find anything
problem_by_sora21-d3bgbxh.jpg
thank you
Nick

I'm having the same problem with the Sapphire 5870 on W7 64. Getting black flashes on the screen, typically when opening a new video or changing internet pages.

I've rolled back to Catalyst 10.11 and still have the problem. If anyone knows the solution to this, that would be great!

Try uninstalling the drivers make sure you clean out the folder in the windows system folder/driver all the names starting with ATI. Then reinstall the newest drivers or a previous release. Also switch off the screensaver and disable all power saving settings including switch of monitor after amount minutes

I tried uninstalling all drivers and cleaning out the folders, and reinstalled the drivers. I have a short video of the problem, you can see it at ~3 seconds. I apologize for having to use facebook but this is the only way I have to upload it. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150111016212016 If that link doesn't work I'll try to find a way to upload a video to youtube.

Last edited:
apparently this seems to have worked!
i did uninstall completely all of the ati driver components and ran a drive cleaner(ccleaner)
then i deleted all of the directories created by ati/amd and downloaded and installed the latest catalyst
i dunno if that was what solved it on not but i do think that was it
so thanx Spooony 4 ur help !

I think I may have gotten it figured out. I set all of my hardware settings to default, and moved my RAM sticks to the 3rd and 4th slots as well as removed/reinstalled drivers again and turned off any power saving options. So far, no problems!

Ok I found the real problem. I'm running a TV as a second monitor, and that seems to be the cause, but I'm not sure how to fix it. My first screen is an actual monitor, 60 mhz refresh rate 22" @ 1680x1050. The TV is a Vizio 24" 1080p running at 1920x1080. Not sure what the natural refresh rate is, though.

Back